Jump to content

Cayman R Chat


Recommended Posts

I have nearly new Pirelli's on my 987.2 Cayman. They are horrible.

 

I had a 987.1 Box a few years ago. I swappedover to PS4's - night and day. Similarly on my recently departed 7.5R. Lots quieter and lots more grip allied to better wear rate. Bit of a no brainer TBH.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/11/2020 at 19:31, andygo said:

I have nearly new Pirelli's on my 987.2 Cayman. They are horrible.

 

I had a 987.1 Box a few years ago. I swappedover to PS4's - night and day. Similarly on my recently departed 7.5R. Lots quieter and lots more grip allied to better wear rate. Bit of a no brainer TBH.

 

Its a bit cooler and wet today in downtown Milton Keynes. The Pirellis I have on the car are horrible, like cheap Chines ditchfinders! The front let go pootling around a roundabout. Fortunately I was only doing abot 30mph in the wet, with no throttle applied, skiddy understeer!

 

I found a quieter bit of road, and with a prod on the gas, loads of oversteer. All good fun of course, but blimey!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t have an R (987.2 S) but for all year round use (other than full on snow), everyday driving come rain or shine, and enough grip and longevity for ~6 track days over the past year PS4S have been brilliant.

 

my fronts will possibly be wiped out at Bedford autodrome this weekend, but that’s only due to the outer shoulders wearing faster as I’m only maxed out to about -1deg camber or whatever was achievable on standard suspension, otherwise both fronts still have ~3mm and rears ~5/6mm. 
 

I had GYF1 Eagles before, which were ok, but the Michelin’s are ‘another level’. 
 

others have tried the GY Supersport and equally rate them too 👍🏻 @Dougle_turbo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Platinum Member
On 17/11/2020 at 16:21, DKR_77 said:

Is the PS4S still the favoured tyre for the R guys, or have moods moved towards the new Goodyear SS?  

I have used both the Eagle F1 SS and MPS4S extensively and IMHO I would say that the SS offer more feel and ultimate grip. The margin isn't much but having gone through 2 sets of SS (mainly track use but some great road trips in there too) and then switching to the MPS4S I immediately felt a difference. 

 

My setup is a little on the extreme side these days (The car was stock back in Sept 2018) and it's now running elephant control arms all round and -3. So my opinion of the 4S is based on this setup. The SS were on the car as it slowly morphed into the current setup. I'll be swapping back to the SS once the 4S are shot.

 

Hope that helps.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know where to buy a full set of MP4S tyres for the "R". I tried recently and only the fronts were available everywhere but no full sets. Any recommendations?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/12/2020 at 14:49, Andy Fagan said:

Does anyone know where to buy a full set of MP4S tyres for the "R". I tried recently and only the fronts were available everywhere but no full sets. Any recommendations?

Have you tried justtyres online Andy?

 

they’re only a little more expensive than the usual online sellers (oponeo, my tyres etc), but you can then choose the exact time you want them fitting at your local justtyres centre, and they’re delivered to them so you don’t have to faff with transporting online purchased tyres to a fitting centre. 
 

and they dont use air tools 👍🏻

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've had my R for about 10 months now and I'm thinking it would look better with Silver Spyder Wheels instead of the black with the silver lip. However when I pull it out of garage and I see the black I think it also looks great, just the silver would match the mirrors, wing etc. Has anyone had their wheels refurbed to a silver and are there any recommended companies to approach?

 

cayr2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great looking car. For me the silver looks better too and think the contrast shows off the lines/stance etc better than black.. I would have thought any reputable refurb company can do it but I guess ensuring the silver code is as per OEM is key..?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Pete K said:

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've had my R for about 10 months now and I'm thinking it would look better with Silver Spyder Wheels instead of the black with the silver lip. However when I pull it out of garage and I see the black I think it also looks great, just the silver would match the mirrors, wing etc. Has anyone had their wheels refurbed to a silver and are there any recommended companies to approach?

 

cayr2.jpg

Black looks far more menacing 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Pete K said:

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've had my R for about 10 months now and I'm thinking it would look better with Silver Spyder Wheels instead of the black with the silver lip. However when I pull it out of garage and I see the black I think it also looks great, just the silver would match the mirrors, wing etc. Has anyone had their wheels refurbed to a silver and are there any recommended companies to approach?

 

cayr2.jpg

 

My wheels are satin platinum on basalt black and it looks spot on for me.  They were hyper silver originally and the satin platinum looks miles better.

 

I have pictures but they are too big to upload.  I will upload them to something else later and post again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Can anyone with a white R please tell me if your black side decals are gloss or matte black?

 

ive been umming & arring whether to put some on my S for the past 4 years (not to look like an R, but just because I think they break up the ‘slab-side’ and just look really good 🤩) and have finally decided ‘yes’. 
 

Zen Graphics have them for £32.99 for a pair, which seems reasonable. 
 

Just undecided on matte / gloss... 🤷‍♂️
 

My side vents are gloss black, so I’m halfway to gloss on the decals. 🤔

 

Thanks in advance. 
 

Jason

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Can anyone with a white R please tell me if your black side decals are gloss or matte black?

 

ive been umming & arring whether to put some on my S for the past 4 years (not to look like an R, but just because I think they break up the ‘slab-side’ and just look really good 🤩) and have finally decided ‘yes’. 
 

Zen Graphics have them for £32.99 for a pair, which seems reasonable. 
 

Just undecided on matte / gloss... 🤷‍♂️
 

My side vents are gloss black, so I’m halfway to gloss on the decals. 🤔

 

Thanks in advance. 
 

Jason

 

I purchased from here after much research. And learning he supplies to many Porsche groups.

 

John is the guy - very friendly and helpful too. Quality is exceptional - and when i wanted part of one side replaced after some paintwork: that was all no problem.

 

He does Gloss, Satin and Matt finishes i think. Satin would be a nice compromise imo (?) Gloss would be a little to 'tacky' for want of a better term; and a little too in your face for me.

 

Good luck !

 

https://www.designstuffonline.co.uk/vehicle_graphics/model_make_specific/porsche/porsche_987_cayman_decals.html

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Thanks Syer 👍🏻
 

I’ll call Jon next week - satin black doesn’t seem to be an option on the site. 

 

No worries. John is a really helpful, genuine guy. From what i read his quality in terms of bubble-free Vinyl is about as good as it gets...........

 

***Even the Matt finish has some sheen to it for reference. I'm sure he'd send you a small sample of each if you asked !

 

info@designstuffonline.co.uk 

 

Keep us informed !

Edited by sevenfourate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have corresponded with John at designstuffonline today and he informed me that he doesn’t do a satin finish - just gloss, matte and a slightly metallic finish. 
 

He’s offered to send me some samples, which I’ve accepted. 
 

will let you know my thoughts once they’ve arrived. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Have corresponded with John at designstuffonline today and he informed me that he doesn’t do a satin finish - just gloss, matte and a slightly metallic finish. 
 

He’s offered to send me some samples, which I’ve accepted. 
 

will let you know my thoughts once they’ve arrived. 

 

Hmmmm.....

 

Maybe my memory is clouded. Not sure if i'm therefore Satin or Matt. But whatever i have; it does still have some slight sheen to it.

 

Imo - even on a car with other gloss black parts; Gloss decals would look 'cheap'. From my experience of laser-cut gloss black decals on motorcycles etc over the year - they will also scratch / show swirl marks (Especially in the sun) very easily compared to less glossy shades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

 

Hmmmm.....

 

Maybe my memory is clouded. Not sure if i'm therefore Satin or Matt. But whatever i have; it does still have some slight sheen to it.

 

Imo - even on a car with other gloss black parts; Gloss decals would look 'cheap'. From my experience of laser-cut gloss black decals on motorcycles etc over the year - they will also scratch / show swirl marks (Especially in the sun) very easily compared to less glossy shades.

John wrote that the matte does have a slight sheen to it, so that’s probably the route to go. 
 

your points re swirls and scratches showing up more on gloss decals are good ones that I’d not considered. So I think I’ll most likely go with the the matte. 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Founder

I had the decals made up by designstuffonline for the doors on the GTS.  They are matte.  They haven't stuck very well though, so I might need some more! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.