Cayman R Chat

7 hours ago, Andyoz said:

Tonights run with an insane GT3 RS with full JCR titanium exhaust

v9hhBL1.jpg

Great pic @Andyoz - from the post on PH it sounds like it was a superb evening's driving too! You're very lucky to have such roads in easy reach!

1 hour ago, Meteor_CR said:

Great pic @Andyoz - from the post on PH it sounds like it was a superb evening's driving too! You're very lucky to have such roads in easy reach!

I didn't mention it in my OP but that is the Mourne Mountains in the background of that photo - where ITV filmed their recent Porsche 928 piece for 'The Car Years'...we drove through those roads in that episode to get here.

https://www.itv.com/hub/the-car-years/2a6359a0007

A big crew of us are hitting the North Coast this Sunday too where another episode was fimed.  

We passed a cop car on a run a month ago and that GT3 RS and another GT3 were front runners and giving it both barrels...the cops just made a gentle down waving motion as they went by as if to say "Steady on lads" but I know they were loving seeing the cars getting ringed out.  During the car scene heyday here 15+ years ago, a few cops used to bring their own modded cars to illegal meets FFS.

The RS has it's front lift up in that shot BTW

Edited by Andyoz

On 29/06/2021 at 22:18, Fireblade_UK said:

Interestingly, this car which has been for sale on several occasions over the last 12 months has had its price increased! Pistonheads

I'm in the market for a PDK Peridot Green and can't help but think its a poor spec example. It's only worthy feature being the seats which isn't (in my eyes) enough to justify the asking price. 

I'm sure I saw it for sale last year about September time for £41k give or take. Clearly it didn't sell. For anyone asking, he had it up for £42995 which has now been increased to £47995. 

I'm selling my Peridot PDK R after nearly 3 years and 6000 miles owing to incoming. I'll post full details later but in short:

Peridot

PDK

35.9K miles

Buckets

Black Spyder wheels

Aftermarket Half cage and harnesses (fitted by JZM)

Uprated brakes (fitted by Parr in 2021) - GT3 Master Cylinder, Girodiscs, pagid pads, braided hoses, high temperature fluid

Serviced/maintained by RPM Technik

Xenons

Peridot PDK selector surround (rare)

No PSE, Nav

Looking for £44K

Any R owners in Bucks / Oxon / Beds / Herts that would take me out for a passenger ride (or even let me drive there’s sensibly) please?

I was at Centre Gravity on Monday for their excellent suspension inspection survey and geo check with Pete (see photo). 

After 2 hrs of (hugely comprehensive) checks and discussion his recommendation was to upgrade my S suspension with an R shocks and springs retrofit + Eibach / H&R front and rear ARBs (+ new coffin arms, drop links, top mounts, bump stops…)

The estimate has come in at £4K!  But before I consider parting with that much cash on a refreshed suspension I would like to actually experience the R suspension on real roads. I’ve only ever passengered once in an R at Oulton park and turned the same colour as it’s peridot green paintwork (thanks @Masher 🤢😉👍🏻). 

So, anyone nearish me (I’m near Aylesbury) that would take me out in theirs please?  I’ll travel to you 👍🏻

Alternatively Im also going to be at Carnatter near Daventry around midday this Saturday 24th with a bunch from TIPEC if anyone could get there around then?

https://carnatter.com/our-place

Thanks very much in advance.

Windy (Jason) 

17DF5C13-4F9D-4803-8495-202E9CB79C5D.jpeg

4 hours ago, Windymiller said:

So, anyone nearish me (I’m near Aylesbury) that would take me out in theirs please?  I’ll travel to you 👍🏻

Windy (Jason) 

I have R-Springs and Bilstein B8 shocks on my Cayman (plus polybushes, a load of front camber, and a CG alignment). I'm in Oxfordshire but if you want to drive over at some point, I'll take you out. Alternatively, I have a fair few track days between now and the end of the year so you are welcome to join for one of those?

Truthfully, on broken b-roads at low-normal speeds it can be quite harsh (the polybushes won't help) but once you get up to speed it is great. On track (bearing in mind this isn't anywhere close to being track/race suspension) it's very impressive. There is just enough roll to let you know what is going on but it doesn't feel too soft and the speed/G you can pull through corners is almost unbelievable given that you can then drive home in relative comfort. The CG alignment has helped a lot on track (it feels neutral, predictable, and totally unflappable) but the suspension itself really is a great compromise. Mine is running the standard 987.1 roll bars (front and rear) and I'm not convinced that I really need any more at this stage (I can see the advantages but the cons in terms of broken b road behaviour would outweigh the pros in terms of on track behaviour for me).

I bought my dampers second hand (the guy had them as part of a b12 kit which after 5k miles he had had enough of) and the springs new from EuroSpares. I sold the springs from the B12 kit and so the whole lot ended up costing me about £750. For that price (I did the fitting myself) it made perfect sense but for 4k I think there are probably better kits out there.

Edited to add: Sorry just seen that the 4k quote from CG was for a complete refresh not just the dampers/springs. If you can do it yourself you'll still save a fair bit but obviously that cost includes a fair few parts

Edited by Lennym1984

On 22/07/2021 at 07:00, Windymiller said:

Any R owners in Bucks / Oxon / Beds / Herts that would take me out for a passenger ride (or even let me drive there’s sensibly) please?

I was at Centre Gravity on Monday for their excellent suspension inspection survey and geo check with Pete (see photo). 

After 2 hrs of (hugely comprehensive) checks and discussion his recommendation was to upgrade my S suspension with an R shocks and springs retrofit + Eibach / H&R front and rear ARBs (+ new coffin arms, drop links, top mounts, bump stops…)

The estimate has come in at £4K!  But before I consider parting with that much cash on a refreshed suspension I would like to actually experience the R suspension on real roads. I’ve only ever passengered once in an R at Oulton park and turned the same colour as it’s peridot green paintwork (thanks @Masher 🤢😉👍🏻). 

Alternatively Im also going to be at Carnatter near Daventry around midday this Saturday 24th with a bunch from TIPEC if anyone could get there around then?

https://carnatter.com/our-place

Thanks very much in advance.

Windy (Jason) 

I think we both have Silverstone coming up if you want a repeat experience 😄🤢 but you’ll struggle to turn the same colour as the car this time.. unless… 🥵

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think this one might have been mentioned in this thread before. It's not for me but, in six months of looking for my Cayman, I don't think I've ever seen an R under £30k. Even as a high mileage, bare bones example it can't be much lower before it becomes reasonable value compared to some of the S prices being asked?

https://www.allwoodautos.co.uk/used-cars/porsche-cayman-3-4-987-r-pdk-2dr-waltham-cross-202107195202050rs

1 hour ago, Ginginho said:

I think this one might have been mentioned in this thread before. It's not for me but, in six months of looking for my Cayman, I don't think I've ever seen an R under £30k. Even as a high mileage, bare bones example it can't be much lower before it becomes reasonable value compared to some of the S prices being asked?

https://www.allwoodautos.co.uk/used-cars/porsche-cayman-3-4-987-r-pdk-2dr-waltham-cross-202107195202050rs

That one has been for sale for well over a year. It used to be presented as studio shots but now they have done some new outdoor images. Same car. Unsure why it still hasn't sold, perhaps the dealer? or the cars history? I agree, it does seem reasonable value... it did then, and even more now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Just a new member saying “Hello” and looking for his first Cayman. Has to be a 987 and least an S but open to an R.

Been looking and checking prices out and Tbh kinda leaning towards an R (PDK) with PSE, non buckets, just seems a special machine.

Anyone advise on what the price range would be for one in the current market place?

Any advice be much appreciated folks 🙂

cheers 

Edited by ajayp

3 hours ago, ajayp said:

Hi all, 

Just a new member saying “Hello” and looking for his first Cayman. Has to be a 987 and least an S but open to an R.

Been looking and checking prices out and Tbh kinda leaning towards an R (PDK) with PSE, non buckets, just seems a special machine.

Anyone advise on what the price range would be for one in the current market place?

Any advice be much appreciated folks 🙂

cheers 

hi. Welcome! May I ask what is your budget and preference in colours. You are looking at around £43/45k with PSE, PDK and non buckets. Mid to upper 40’s for a bolder colour and/or lower mileage.

Hi Julian, thank you great to be here! 

Originally a budget of £30k looking for an S. But from what I have read this seems pretty expensive for an S as dealers are asking big money due to the lack of them. 

Is this correct, I have no clue about the Porsche brand.

As I have learnt more and read about the R, these seem to be £40k and above, apart from the red and blue ones currently on AT. So happy to up the budget as I prefer the rarer R  model with the tweaks and the way it sits.

However what I would like to understand is the price, is this due the fact that these are rare? Or like the used market are these being inflated too? 

Colour wise, happy with most prefer silver or white but defo no black. 

Spec wise, PDK, PSE, Heated seats, AC, Xenons. 

Edited by ajayp

2 hours ago, ajayp said:

Hi Julian, thank you great to be here! 

Originally a budget of £30k looking for an S. But from what I have read this seems pretty expensive for an S as dealers are asking big money due to the lack of them. 

Is this correct, I have no clue about the Porsche brand.

As I have learnt more and read about the R, these seem to be £40k and above, apart from the red and blue ones currently on AT. So happy to up the budget as I prefer the rarer R  model with the tweaks and the way it sits.

However what I would like to understand is the price, is this due the fact that these are rare? Or like the used market are these being inflated too? 

Colour wise, happy with most prefer silver or white but defo no black. 

Spec wise, PDK, PSE, Heated seats, AC, Xenons. 

The market is crazy at the moment.  The Rs are now more than I paid for mine nearly 5 years ago.

If you're happy with PDK and non buckets then alot more choice about.  Note that those two choices negate alot of the claimed weight loss.

Are you going to put some miles on it or just wash it. They are crazy mileage sensitive.... It's why that red one is still there but if it's had some key stuff done like clutch, coolant pipes, partial Suspension refresh etc. could be a good buy ...

If want a lower miler then is this one GT Silver?  Not a bad buy if they'd shave a bit off the price?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107205253582?atmobcid=soc3

Edited by Andyoz

I drove that R at Dovehouse a couple of weeks ago. It felt very tight and although everyone craves the carbon buckets in an R, which obviously add to the ‘drama’ of driving one, are better for gripping you on track, add value to the car and look awesome, I thought the sports design seats suited the car and made for a comfortable road ride. 

coming from a manual S what struck me the most was the rate of acceleration with the PDK, especially in sport plus mode. A totally different experience (literally faster feeling) to ‘winding up’ through the cogs in mine. 

@ajayp - if you’re willing to pay £30k for an S you can have mine!!!! 😉👍🏻