Cayman R Chat

21 minutes ago, ajayp said:

Does anyone know whether 997 full Electric Heated Sports Seats would fit in the 987? 

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1454100

"While that was happening, both of us were researching forums, etc. looking at both 987.x and 997.x reports (they mostly use the same seats). There didn’t seem to be a consistent pattern. Some people popped them in and they worked right away. Some had to modify wiring, some would ask for help but not report back on the outcome"

1 hour ago, ajayp said:

Thanks Julian, just got back from getting back straightened out.

will check these links out, much appreciated mate.

More than welcome. Perhaps a bizarre thought but have you actually tried the buckets? I ask as this company do inflatable lumbar support for the bucket seats

https://p1designs.com/

Never sat in buckets and funny thing is this is what the chaps at Ashgood said could be an option. I already have an inflatable lumbar add on that I bought years ago and this could solve the issue on support on the lower back. 

But it’s the seat base being way too dipped with no adjustments that’s creating this issue.

was searching around and another guy that had the same issue…

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/470329-back-aches-driving-my-new-boxster-s-i-may-have-to-dump-the-car-3.html

Edited by ajayp

2 hours ago, ajayp said:

Never sat in buckets and funny thing is this is what the chaps at Ashgood said could be an option. I already have an inflatable lumbar add on that I bought years ago and this could solve the issue on support on the lower back. 

One thought is the stiffness of the ride in an R. It took me a while to get used to it, love it now, coupled with improved feel from PS4s tyres....but I wonder if the stiffness is the issue, and this might be a better proposition

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109137308543

Driver and Passenger Seats w. Electric Backrest Adjustment and Manual Fore/Aft and Height Adjustment.

Its got the Spyder wheels. Stance looks good. Great colour. PDK. Heated seats. Ticks many of your boxes. Only watch out is the dealer I have read mixed reviews on, but have no first hand experience of them.

Just a thought. 

Best regards

Thanks for the suggestion Julian. Done some more “testing” I didn’t know but there is also another Porsche dealer not too far called RSJ. They have a black Cayman so I called up and asked if I could sit in the car for a while.

The guy was happy to and it’s definitely the seat. I could feel it after about 10mins of sitting the muscle crapping again. Got out quick as I only had physio last night.

now need to think of a solution which will be hard as I would need to test and be certain before I spend money on a Cayman. 

On 15/09/2021 at 18:31, ajayp said:

Thanks for the suggestion Julian. Done some more “testing” I didn’t know but there is also another Porsche dealer not too far called RSJ. They have a black Cayman so I called up and asked if I could sit in the car for a while.

The guy was happy to and it’s definitely the seat. I could feel it after about 10mins of sitting the muscle crapping again. Got out quick as I only had physio last night.

now need to think of a solution which will be hard as I would need to test and be certain before I spend money on a Cayman. 

PDK and non-buckets, maybe worth you keeping an eye on

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2011-porsche-987-cayman-r-1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2021 at 17:26, ajayp said:

Spoke to Gary, lovely chap but quite busy and not really sure whether he could help.

So now stuck but sure as poo know I want a 987. So thinking… maybe spend half the money and pick up a base or S as a test bed to then try different seats, custom work etc? 

Also just to be clear this is about cost due to this issue, the switch to a base or S Cayman is not meant in any negative way. Not out to offend anyone here.

My R had the folding carbon buckets, and they along with another issue were the primary reason I sold it less than 6 months (actually closer to 4) after having bought it.

I'm 5ft 11" something, basically 6 ft and long of torso, short of leg. The FCB were mounted too high for me, and despite ordering and fitting a set of seat lowering brackets from Tarett in the States, the problem persisted. The "problem" being my lower back (which I struggle to get comfortable with in a lot of cars) caused what you've referred to as sciatica. I'd had similar problems with the same seats in a 997 GT3 in 2012, so much so that on a near 4 hour journey, my right leg became so painful, I ended up using my left foot to press the accelerator, so desperate was I to get home. Rest assured, I wouldn't advise that course of action ...

The Cayman R was no different, and towards the end of its tenure, I could drive it no more than 45 minutes without being in agony. I then had to stop, get out and walk about for a minimum of 30 minutes, before I could drive it again for another 45 minutes

I was tempted to remove the seats, and fit some others as I had done with a BMW 1M coupe previously, but I wasn't sufficiently enamoured with the Cayman R to go through the whole rigmarole of a seat swap, so I elected to sell it instead.

Two years later I moved house and that entailed moving numerous heavy boxes, that in turn tweaked my lower back and the sciatica. Under normal circumstances I'd heat pack my lower back for few days, and if that didn't work, I'd book an appointment with my physio, and all would settle down and get back to normal.

But this time, I couldn't break out of the pain loop, and my back got steadily worse to the point I felt it best to get a CT scan undertaken.

That showed the discs had compressed with age, and they and as a result the facet joints were rubbing together and inflamed. It was suggested I had a steroid injection to enable things to settle down sufficiently to break out of the pain loop. However several friends advised against me this.

Then I then started dating a lady who suggested I should try Pilates. She lent me a video to watch, which I chose to ignore...

Four months later and still in agony, I decided to visit a Pilates teacher on the 14th Feb 2019 ...

It turned out to be gamechanger, within a month I was pain free 90% of the time (as opposed to being in pain 90% of the time) And when I was in pain  (due to gardening work or working on the car) I could exercise my way out of it within 24-48 hours.

I managed 12 months of one to one tuition, until I moved down South and Covid wreaked havoc on us all.

The moral ? Finding seating that is comfortable isn't really the answer, addressing the cause of the pain is. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Budflicker said:

Helloooo everybody, long time no see, life has been so busy that I haven't had time for online life, also haven't had time to drive my Cayman R since July, It's sitting in the garage under a cover on a C-Tek, wasted really.

So just to put the cat amongst the pigeons as they say, if anybody is in the market for a 1 of 1 in the world, Viper Green Cayman R, 20k miles full  Porsche service history, last one being a major at Porsche Tonbridge less than a thousand miles ago, including Drive belt and tensioner and spark plugs, and brand new MPS4S tires fitted recently.

It's got all the right bits,

Manual - Check

Buckets - Check

Spyder Wheels - Check

PSE- Check

Sports Chrono - Check

Short Shift - Check

Air con - Check

Oh and the brakes have been upgraded to Giro two piece discs and Ferrodo pads. (originals included in case you wanted to put a warranty on it)

Oh and did I mention it's the only one in Viper Green from the 1421 Cayman R's that were produced, so proper Unicorn poo!

Serious discussions only, its very nice, ask anyone who has seen it, no test drives unless I'm driving, but to be fair if you don't know what a R is like to drive you probably won't be entertaining this one. Oh the price, £60,000 no offers considered so don't waste either of our time asking. 

Lots of photos on IG  https://www.instagram.com/vipercaymanr/?hl=en

DM me if you want a chat or my phone number is 07957 580944.

Thanks

Peter

20190628_153406.jpg.bb617e5bd3545343509d898eb5b11782.jpg

Just added my phone number.

Edited by Budflicker

13 hours ago, Julian987 said:

New one listed on Collecting Cars. After the last one didn't sell last week, it'll be interesting to see if this one makes it over the line.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2012-porsche-987-cayman-r

Hope this seller is a bit more realistic than the recent black PDK one that didn't hit reserve....I think it was £39k with fees and didn't have many of the key options.  If the Ashgoods Silver PDK wasn't selling at £40k then that should have told the CC seller something...

Edited by Andyoz

Any R without at least buckets or chrono isn't worth entertaining, IMO.  One without both isn't worth a glance at all.

Novice question, is there any use to chrono when not on track? I have had my R now for over a year which chrono but I am unsure exactly what its all for? dumb question, but a genuine question, sorry to ask, I just don't 'get it' 

Throttle response, traction dialled back, and PDK behaviour (if present).  It's a totally different driving experience with the sport and sport plus buttons - especially with PDK as the gear changes are significantly faster with each mode.

10 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Throttle response, traction dialled back, and PDK behaviour (if present).  It's a totally different driving experience with the sport and sport plus buttons - especially with PDK as the gear changes are significantly faster with each mode.

thank you. ah i mean the clock, sorry i should have been clearer. The dash dial thing, is there anything to be got from that when not on track? unsure of its purpose. Sorry I should have mentioned that, thank you