Cayman R Chat

32 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

thank you. ah i mean the clock, sorry i should have been clearer. The dash dial thing, is there anything to be got from that when not on track? unsure of its purpose. Sorry I should have mentioned that, thank you

I've never used it.  It's just a stopwatch/timer.

5 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I've never used it.  It's just a stopwatch/timer.

Thanks for your reply. I see, I am not alone then! but how does one even start it as a stopwatch/timer?

30 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

Thanks for your reply. I see, I am not alone then! but how does one even start it as a stopwatch/timer?

You do it through the OBC, under "Chrono".

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

hi

Regarding a post in the Track forum from 2019

the kit from Freaky Parts;

https://freakyparts.co.uk/collections/porsche-boxster-987-brakes

With Carbone Lorraine CL5+ pads, good all round setup with braided lines and ATE 200 fluid.  Gives better bite on track and still ok from cold/for road use.  I appreciate you can go more extreme, but a good balance. 

Would you say these would be better than Brembo brakes for road use for my Cayman R?

I like that these appear to be be larger....but i am not a track person. 

They seem well priced and I can't afford Girodiscs and would never take advantage of such a spend non brakes....but was looking for something just a notch up or two from the norm.

And these are just for the front.... do they not do back ones too?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Best regards

Julian

2 hours ago, Julian987 said:

hi

Regarding a post in the Track forum from 2019

the kit from Freaky Parts;

https://freakyparts.co.uk/collections/porsche-boxster-987-brakes

With Carbone Lorraine CL5+ pads, good all round setup with braided lines and ATE 200 fluid.  Gives better bite on track and still ok from cold/for road use.  I appreciate you can go more extreme, but a good balance. 

Would you say these would be better than Brembo brakes for road use for my Cayman R?

I like that these appear to be be larger....but i am not a track person. 

They seem well priced and I can't afford Girodiscs and would never take advantage of such a spend non brakes....but was looking for something just a notch up or two from the norm.

And these are just for the front.... do they not do back ones too?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Best regards

Julian

Those discs do not make full contact with the pad.  You end up with about ~5mm of the bottom of the pad totally unused.  Whilst you may have better heat displacement with the larger disc, you would also have a smaller contact surface between the pad and the disc, too.

I would recommend a fast road/track day pad (Ferodo DS2500, Brembo HP2000, etc.) on stock discs rather than something like the Freakyparts "upgrade".

27 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Those discs do not make full contact with the pad.  You end up with about ~5mm of the bottom of the pad totally unused.  Whilst you may have better heat displacement with the larger disc, you would also have a smaller contact surface between the pad and the disc, too.

I would recommend a fast road/track day pad (Ferodo DS2500, Brembo HP2000, etc.) on stock discs rather than something like the Freakyparts "upgrade".

Thank you so much for your reply and advice. And may I ask, what of discs then, any recommendations above Brembo, but not crazy Girodiscs as I don't track my R

16 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Thank you so much for your reply and advice. And may I ask, what of discs then, any recommendations above Brembo, but not crazy Girodiscs as I don't track my R

There's thread in the 'General Cayman Chat' section that should probably be  in here:

21 hours ago, Aaron said:

I've used stock Sebro discs on track days and they've never let me down.  They used to be readily available from ECP and the likes but they seem to be harder to obtain nowadays, unfortunately.  There isn't really any gain overspecing the discs - it's more about the pads for road driving where a strong cold bite and one good stop is all you need.  Better pads will also wear the discs faster, so there's that to factor in.

Brakes are a game of heat management and intended purpose:

Bloody hell this was a long post.  Got carried away a tad! 

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. That is a very informative reply from you and much appreciated.

best regards

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Ginginho said:

Is this the one that Maundrells had for months? Finally sold for £30k... https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/2011-porsche-cayman-r-987-8jaKW4?bsft

For an "R" that has the specs of an "S" (or I shall say that doesn't have the R specs)  I'd say whoever bought it isn't quite a clever person. You could buy a lower mileage/better condition S for same money.....

On 30/09/2021 at 17:17, Budflicker said:

Helloooo everybody, long time no see, life has been so busy that I haven't had time for online life, also haven't had time to drive my Cayman R since July, It's sitting in the garage under a cover on a C-Tek, wasted really.

So just to put the cat amongst the pigeons as they say, if anybody is in the market for a 1 of 1 in the world, Viper Green Cayman R, 20k miles full  Porsche service history, last one being a major at Porsche Tonbridge less than a thousand miles ago, including Drive belt and tensioner and spark plugs, and brand new MPS4S tires fitted recently.

It's got all the right bits,

Manual - Check

Buckets - Check

Spyder Wheels - Check

PSE- Check

Sports Chrono - Check

Short Shift - Check

Air con - Check

Oh and the brakes have been upgraded to Giro two piece discs and Ferrodo pads. (originals included in case you wanted to put a warranty on it)

Oh and did I mention it's the only one in Viper Green from the 1421 Cayman R's that were produced, so proper Unicorn poo!

Serious discussions only, its very nice, ask anyone who has seen it, no test drives unless I'm driving, but to be fair if you don't know what a R is like to drive you probably won't be entertaining this one. Oh the price, £60,000 no offers considered so don't waste either of our time asking. 

Lots of photos on IG  https://www.instagram.com/vipercaymanr/?hl=en

DM me if you want a chat.

Thanks

Peter

20190628_153406.jpg.bb617e5bd3545343509d898eb5b11782.jpg

I'm banned from Pistonheads so I can't reply on the R thread, just to say that yes I would sell for £60k, no I don't need to sell  it and I paid £54k for it in 2018 and have done 5k miles in it since, so I reckon £60k is pretty fair money. 

To all the people suggesting this is 20k over a car in another colour you are clearly deluded, please show me a 20k mile car with all the spec sold recently for 40k. They haven't,  they have been 50k quid, so really not to bad. Regards colour, try buying a Viper green 997.1 RS without a £40k premium over a black or orange one, and eleven of those made the UK, yet alone worldwide.

Anyway, not bothered if I keep it, booked a driving holiday to the Alps and Pyrenees in June so will need a car of some sort.

I'm sure Julian will copy and paste this to PH.

Edited by Budflicker

3 hours ago, Budflicker said:

I'm banned from Pistonheads so I can't reply on the R thread, just to say that yes I would sell for £60k, no I don't need to sell  it and I paid £54k for it in 2018 and have done 5k miles in it since, so I reckon £60k is pretty fair money. 

To all the people suggesting this is 20k over a car in another colour you are clearly deluded, please show me a 20k mile car with all the spec sold recently for 40k. They haven't,  they have been 50k quid, so really not to bad. Regards colour, try buying a Viper green 997.1 RS without a £40k premium over a black or orange one, and eleven of those made the UK, yet alone worldwide.

Anyway, not bothered if I keep it, booked a driving holiday to the Alps and Pyrenees in June so will need a car of some sort.

I'm sure Julian will copy and paste this to PH.

Hiya

well only if you want me to. I am championing your car and price as I think it is very fair and 100% agree with you. But yep I won’t paste over unless you would like me to.

7 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Hiya

well only if you want me to. I am championing your car and price as I think it is very fair and 100% agree with you. But yep I won’t paste over unless you would like me to.

Hi Julian, thanks, yes feel free to post it over, if only for my amusement reading the frothing replies 😀 

• 2 weeks later...