B8s and Cayman R springs

19 minutes ago, eponymoose said:

100% road driving. It's nothing to do with loading the car up laterally during cornering. It's all about bumps and compressions on the road where you run out of travel. If anything , it wouldn't have been as bad / noticeable on a smooth, flat track.

I can only report what I found. The Eibachs were clearly lower than the H&R.

Here are the Eibachs with a load of pads to lift the front axle:

ACtC-3cSHIWXmVDUqr6L4jkyrYs5FL9bDoWxmrU9

And the H&R:

ACtC-3dlaBcdMwQW14NPkRzmwuFSfWk0LWXRMrvu

Not easy to compare photos, but the H&R were lower for me. I could have had a bad batch of Eibach springs, but like I said, I couldn;'t get Either Eibach or Bilstein to take any interest, sadly, so I will never know.

That looks super low up front. Was the tyre completely tucked or is that just the photo? How many fingers gap was it

Hi gang, thought I’d pop in my 2 pence worth as an Eibach Pro Kit user. I had also  heard about E’s not being quite as low as H&R’s, so went that route....having being parked next to a 987 Cayman  S recently with H&R’s, I would confidently say my CS was no lower (full disclosure; I didn’t pull out a measuring tape !). I have Cayman R type splitters on the front as you can see, so definitely have to take more care re drive ways etc, otherwise I found the ride generally improved on good roads, great on track, and definitely more jiggly on rough surfaces. All in all my experience has been positive, being in mind my definition of “improved ride” might be someone else’s definition of “fking awful” 🙂 

D742EBFD-DA8A-42B3-9096-042D314909A4.jpeg

37C823A3-4CEA-4AE4-A752-93806B084C19.jpeg

Edited by Craiglm68
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Craiglm68 said:

Hi gang, thought I’d pop in my 2 pence worth as an Eibach Pro Kit user. I had also  heard about E’s not being quite as low as H&R’s, so went that route....having being parked next to a 987 Cayman  S recently with H&R’s, I would confidently say my CS was no lower (full disclosure; I didn’t pull out a measuring tape !). I have Cayman R type splitters on the front as you can see, so definitely have to take more care re drive ways etc, otherwise I found the ride generally improved on good roads, great on track, and definitely more jiggly on rough surfaces. All in all my experience has been positive, being in mind my definition of “improved ride” might be someone else’s definition of “fking awful” 🙂 

D742EBFD-DA8A-42B3-9096-042D314909A4.jpeg

37C823A3-4CEA-4AE4-A752-93806B084C19.jpeg

If i achieve that look / stance / drop i will be one very happy camper.......

Thanks for your thoughts Craig.

• Like 1

Just a word on how I measure ride heights - I run a tape from the bottom edge of the wheel rim to the wheel arch. Takes away guess work of fingers and wheel/tyre sizes.

Where do the spring pads fit BTW?

Fitting an R spring and shock setup sounds like a good idea, especially as I'd imagine the standard ones could be sold on.

Edited by andygo

Strange how your eibachs at the front look lower than the others on here. Maybe it was down to the shortened bilsteins. The H&r look more acceptable at the front. 

Would it be better on std shocks or bilstein b4 or b6. Wouldn't like to get it wrong considering the labour involved. If I was to upgrade think I would settle for b4's and h&r. I too think £400+ for r springs is a p*ss take. Anyone have a part no for the 6mm spring pads

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Stumbled upon this thread through a web search and decided to join the forum as there seem to a lot of valuable info….!

On my new-to-me 987.2 manual with standard suspension I am debating between the Cayman R spring + B8 shocks or the B12 kit with Eibach springs and B8 shocks.

Based on the info in this thread the R spring require 6mm pads in front, what about the rear? This thread I found on Rennlist for Cayman R + B6 used P/N 987-333-504-00 which seems to discontinued but latest parts diagram shows a 3mm pad (P/N 981-333-504-01). 

Also a similar question on what pads to use if I go with the B12 kit? Sounds like 6mm is an option too if front is too low and changing the front struts is definitely much easier than the rear on these cars. 

Many thanks!

19 hours ago, newold_m said:

Stumbled upon this thread through a web search and decided to join the forum as there seem to a lot of valuable info….!

On my new-to-me 987.2 manual with standard suspension I am debating between the Cayman R spring + B8 shocks or the B12 kit with Eibach springs and B8 shocks.

Based on the info in this thread the R spring require 6mm pads in front, what about the rear? This thread I found on Rennlist for Cayman R + B6 used P/N 987-333-504-00 which seems to discontinued but latest parts diagram shows a 3mm pad (P/N 981-333-504-01). 

Also a similar question on what pads to use if I go with the B12 kit? Sounds like 6mm is an option too if front is too low and changing the front struts is definitely much easier than the rear on these cars. 

Many thanks!

I ended up using the 6mm pads front and rear (initially I had put the 3mm ones on the front) with the B8s. The ride height of mine is perfect and I've done many track days since fitting this suspension.

• 1 year later...

Hello LennyM1984, 

I currently have 987.1 with B8 and H&R -35mm spring. I think the car is too low because I scratch the bumpers oftenly and I cannot go fast on countryside roads (I drive faster with my seat leon...) Then, I want to change spring and I'm looking at cayman R spring or HR M030 -10mm spring. 

Do you have an updated picture of your cayman with the 6mm pad on front damper ? 

for information, please look at the picture of my cayman with the current config. 

IMG20221101171857.jpg

Posted (edited)

Cayman.jpg.d9f3db872a1845d7aad91d201028c50d.jpgHere you go.

I live in rural Oxfordshire (terrible roads) and don't have any issues with grounding out etc. The brake deflector flap bits sometimes rub on the mental speed bumps on the private road near where my Dad lives but to be honest, even a 4X4 would struggle with those (I once got my race car stuck on one of those)

Edited by Lennym1984