Cayman 718 GTS 4.0 Owners

1 hour ago, Beanoir™ said:

I'm off to have a little test drive of a GTS4.0 today.  Quite looking forward to it, will report back with my thoughts later on! 😃

can’t wait for your report later! 

great write up there! always been a big fan of the GT Silver! it's shows of the curves off much better than more vibrant colours because of the shadows on the undulations of the bodywork. One of the main reasons why cars are still showcased in silver...

i know what you mean its a lot of money to throw into a car if its not perfect. I know if i was laying that sort of cash down it would have to be something I'm entirely happy with!

Is the 981 GT4 out the question?

On 15/12/2020 at 22:44, Beanoir™ said:

......a car is not just about driving dynamics and performance for me, the theatre and the drama and how it makes me feel is important.  

IMG_7682.jpg

I couldn’t agree more Nick. And if any certain car truly evokes good sensations - it’s possible to overlook other small inherent faults / traits / foibles; as a driving machine.

**As opposed to an Audi R8 perhaps ? (Never driven one) - which many reports / owners say are wholly capable in every single respect. But are also completely soulless.....

Pardon the pun. But as good is the review; your small insight has left me feeling flat. Like you think it’s a little clinical and lacks character ?

Edited by sevenfourate

• Founder

Perhaps I was being overly critical, and maybe I went with high expectations, but it is a Porsche you should by default I think..? 

Let me be clear, it's a wonderful machine and the package is probably one of the best ion offer from Porsche right now.  Yes I was disappointed by the engine note, but could I live with that and compared to what's on offer elsewhere from other manufactures, it's still a damn site better.  

And for the record, I wouldn't take an M2 of any flavour over this car - how EVO magazine came to that conclusion I will never know, I can only assume My Gallagher and team all came down with the same bug. 

• Like 1

how did you leave it with Porsche, I always feel OPC's have their hand in their arse when you turn around and say no for whatever reason.

Can't say I've ever left an OPC without them feeling frustrated, they always look at you like you were never serious or a test driver/tyre kicker if you don't commit 🤣

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

Thanks Nick, always good to keep gathering further insights, and interesting that this one is of a PDK version, which I didn’t realise had slightly more torque than the manual. 

it somewhat echoes your own review further up. An utterly capable car, and one to be celebrated in its ‘traditionalness’ (ie NA F6), but lacking some element of visceral character in comparison to older models (eg 981 GTS, 987R...) 🤔

i really must go and test drive one myself (just to check...) 😉

• Like 1

• Founder
12 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Thanks Nick, always good to keep gathering further insights, and interesting that this one is of a PDK version, which I didn’t realise had slightly more torque than the manual. 

it somewhat echoes your own review further up. An utterly capable car, and one to be celebrated in its ‘traditionalness’ (ie NA F6), but lacking some element of visceral character in comparison to older models (eg 981 GTS, 987R...) 🤔

i really must go and test drive one myself (just to check...) 😉

I'd be interested in your thoughts, no excuse not to arrange a test drive now surely....?? ;) 

• Haha 1

I drove one also and think it could be the modern Cayman R with a few tweaks.

same things

front spacers, A Geo, Valve controler, and if you have a spare £6k a new gear box rebuilt with some workable ratio's

the engines a great unit the chassis is class beating, the inside is old but better than 992's imho.

But you feel right at home from a Cayman flat 6 jumping into this 4.0 Flat six vs any 911 model.

Be a lovely car for Euro trips with and it's more exciting to drive than a GT4 imo car just more nimble and less rubber on the road. only issue for me is that gearbox !!!! SO Have not pulled the trigger yet but yes the M2 with some Schimer racing bits is some car at £50k inc the Nitrons and sus upgrades.

the Cayman Torque limited 4.0 software and that gearbox really at £80k is an issue for me at this money.

bar that the cars pretty perfect.

I cannot help thinking a 2.5GTS would make a better road car !!! at £50k forget the 4 pot noise (it's not that bad imo), it feels good value now and  usable fast with that turbo torque.

Edited by PorscheGT4

Incredibly capable car, and if it’s performance you want then I struggle to think of another new car at this price point that would beat it.  Unfortunately, if you’re not buying it to do endless laps of the ‘ring everyday then I do agree with the lack of ‘edginess’ or however it was described above.  Unfortunately most new non-GT Porsches have the same affliction, in fact even the GT4 sounds woefully dull compared to its predecessor.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Recent geo alignment done by the ever friendly and approachable (and hugely knowledgeable) Matt at Porschacare, Stevenage. 

Matt uses the same hunter Hawkeye rig as centre gravity and I’d say he took just as much time and care on the settings as CG. 

Having used both now I’d say they’re as good as each other, Matt is just nearer to me, had availability (CG had a 3-month wait list!), and was better priced. 

I’ve had the car on track at Silverstone last week since the geo and (possibly ‘buyers placebo bias’) I honestly think the car is more settled, with sharper turn-in (near to no understeer), and less ‘tail-whip’ happy than she was at Bedford in March and Donny in April. 

Of course I am Also gaining more familiarity and confidence in her, which no doubt affects how I drive her on track. 

IMG_2366.jpeg

• Like 1