Front Bumper removal - ‘how to’

Anyone got a link to a how to guide please?

ive searched the site and can’t find a specific post / thread, but have got this video:

I’m assuming a 987.2 will be pretty much the same to remove as the 987.1 in the video. 

Also - any top tips or ‘watch out fors’?

Like should I pre-emptively buy some particular clips / fastenings for ones that always break 🤷‍♂️🤔

Ill be removing both front and rear bumpers for respraying in February. 

Thanks in advance, Jason

Edited by Windymiller

• Founder

Its actually pretty easy, just remember the screws that screw up behind the side repeaters, access them by opening the inner wheel well liner. 

Why don't you figure it out and do one of your wizzy-miller how-to guides?  'Windy Does Bumpers' 

• Haha 1

Thanks Nick - good pointer re the screws behind the repeaters.   Would you recommend I buy any replacement clips / fastenings in advance? I’ll be making a trip to OPC Silverstone anyway to buy a new front left fog lamp assembly to replace my rusty one whilst the bumpers off 👍🏻

• Founder

Worth buying a few spares of the 2 piece clips, I can't remember what they're called but the centre piece pushes through to hold them in...

Otherwise, the screws are just self tappers (Philips head and the ones underneath are normally tore) and should be fine to re-use.  

You'll also need to strip the grills and fog light housing etc off the bumper too, which is a bit if a pain.  The front splitter pieces too.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

Worth buying a few spares of the 2 piece clips, I can't remember what they're called but the centre piece pushes through to hold them in...

Otherwise, the screws are just self tappers (Philips head and the ones underneath are normally tore) and should be fine to re-use.  

You'll also need to strip the grills and fog light housing etc off the bumper too, which is a bit if a pain.  The front splitter pieces too.  

Where do you get spares for these wee bits? I'm trying to find clips for the front splitter, side vents, etc. and even searching for part numbers there seem not to be any UK-based sites, and importing from the EU is... well, getting expectedly more expensive.

Edited by Hunter

@Hunter I’ll buy the small nuts n bolts type stuff from my nearest OPC Silverstone on a ‘click and collect’ basis. 

I find the OE small stuff is no cheaper elsewhere, especially when I ask for the PCGB / TIPEC club discount of 10%. 

if you’re not a member of the PCGB just say you are and give the OPC parts person a random 6-digit ‘membership’ number. 😉

Obviously to make it cost efficient and worthwhile driving to Silverstone I’ll combine buying the clips / screws etc with the new fog light assembly too. 

Edited by Windymiller

5 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

Which items out of this parts image do you mean Nick? Item 9 is a 2-piece plastic rivet - is that what you’re referring to?

why take the front splitter pieces off - would you paint those separately in case they ever needed removing for replacement 🤔

EB21B6FB-4A8E-4461-BCD0-32C2D2671E2B.jpeg

• Founder

They’re not on that diagram, they are the plastic buttons that hold the wheel arch in place.  

I removed the splitter pieces because I don’t like paint cracks between panels, you don’t have to though.  They’re a different item on the CR anyway, so maybe a non-point.  

Just use this guide, I even found it in the right colour for you. I expect yours to be better though, no pressure 

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/169959-cayman-bumper-removal-gt3-grill-install.html

That’s a a good ‘how to’ thanks Nick. 

still not clear which ‘plastic buttons’ you mean though - there’s no indication of them in that how to? 🤔

here’s the parts diagram for the wheel liner - it only shows the 4 self-tapping screws. 

93223E33-8BD5-45F0-9AF6-C42C037A3F60.jpeg

I’ve just ordered 2no. of each of all the various screws, nuts, plastic ‘rivets’ etc from OPC Silverstone - they range from about 40p to £1 each and then I got the PCGB 10% discount. So <£15 in total and handy to have a ‘stock’ of various fastenings I think for Porker DIY tasks. 

Also ordered new front ‘fog’ light assembly. Again with the PCGB discount this was £200 inc VAT. 

I was relieved to find that prices hadn’t increased since BREXIT 👍🏻

Bumpers booked for respray from Feb 12th.

im also awaiting a quote for a detail and ‘stage 1’ correction and reapplication of ceramic coat (mines 4yrs old now) - so she’s gonna look ‘like new’ for spring 🤩😁

• 4 weeks later...

Fortunately the electrical connector with the broken tab is a common VAG item (1J0973792) so I’ve ordered a replacement for £4 from these guys in Luton:

https://www.3waycomponents.co.uk/Advanced_Search?search=1j0 973&description=1&page=1

This video shows how to remove the pins from minute 2:10 - seems simple enough 🤷‍♂️

And you can buy a bewildering array of auto-terminal removal tools on Amazon / eBay for <£10 eg:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=auto+terminals+removal+key+tool&crid=2JYTMYB5QAMU2&sprefix=Auto+ter%2Caps%2C151&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_8

Although I’m a believer of you get what you pay for when it comes to tools so splurged on these VAG connectors specific ones - they were £25 on Amazon (also Lasertools are a U.K. company 👍🏻):

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/pis/7293_PIS.pdf

83F979F6-5A82-4174-A185-0DBBCCD8C33A.jpeg

Replaced the broken connector with the one bought from 3wayconnectors. 

whilst the replacement item doesn’t have the VAG badges and a different ptno. it is made in Germany so I’m assuming it’s OEM. The tools worked perfectly to de-pin the broken plug and refit the new one - all done in <10minutes (amazing what a difference right tool for the job makes 😉). 

Also pre-emptivelyy replaced the drivers side PSE rear silencer valve actuator whilst the rear bumper is off - so should they should both be good for another 10years or more now 👍🏻

Just awaiting bumpers to be ready for collection next week and then I can start to re-assemble everything. 

DC5E72D7-3D8C-4AA1-B858-0288425ADFB8.jpeg

DE8931F7-E00E-47DA-99A4-78A2C99EDAE4.jpeg

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1