Front Bumper removal - ‘how to’

8 hours ago, Hunter said:

Really good work, the new paint looks fantastic! How does the vinyl plate work with the plinth holes?

The vinyl plate has just stuck over the plinth holes, you wouldn’t know they’re there - they were only about 4/5mm dia. I guess anyway. 

Although there were about 8 other holes (4 either side) where previous plates had been screwed direct to the bumper, not the plinth. The paint shop ‘plastic welded’ these holes closed and then sanded the outer surface smooth re-primed etc for painting. 

Watched this as a ‘how to’ for attaching the vinyl plate, and spent ages using decorators masking tape to mark out the level and position to stick it on. 👍🏻

very much a ‘measure twice - cut (or stick 😉) once’ process 🙃

On 12/01/2021 at 16:30, Beanoir™ said:

Worth buying a few spares of the 2 piece clips, I can't remember what they're called but the centre piece pushes through to hold them in...

You'll also need to strip the grills and fog light housing etc   The front splitter pieces too.  

I can confirm the ‘2-piece clip’ is the ‘plastic rivet’ that secures the front splitters to the bumper. 
it’s these - you

need 6 in total (3 either side):

https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/6mm-push-pin-plastic-rivet-fasteners-fiat-5962559/

They were identical to the OE ones I removed. 

The only other ‘plastic fastener’ item encountered during removal was the small plastic ‘bung’ / cap that fits into the front wheel arch liner, just in line with the rear of the side indicator lense. Removing this cap allows you to depress the side lense securing tab with a screwdriver, to release the indicator without damaging it. 

All other fasteners were just T25 screws (4 each wheel arch liner +1 inside the wheel arch near the side indicator, fixing bumper to wing) and T30 screws (14off - securing the bumper to the car). 

oh and the 2 ‘spring clips’ (1 either side) just inboard of the headlamps. These were a little tricky to get to, you can only see and access them once the headlights are out. 

Edited by Windymiller