987.2 extended leather retrofit

As anyone shopping gen 2 987 Caymans will know, finding one with extended leather isn't easy. For whatever reason, the option was selected by a much smaller proportion of buyers on the gen 2 cars than the gen 1. 

I spent about four months last year looking for a good gen 2 3.4 with extended leather but eventually gave up and bought one with the plastic dash and door cards. For me, the extended leather makes a big difference to perceived interior quality, so I went about sourcing a full set of dashtop, door cards and other panels like the glove box, panel under the steer wheel and two panels either side of the nav / aircon panel in extended leather.

The trickiest bit is the main dashtop, as it's rare and doubly so if like my car you needed one with a space for the Chrono clock. However, all the other parts can come from any 9x7, including 997s, can be used. Hence I have ended up with 997 door cards in my Cayman, which only differ regarding the main door handle. You can use a gen 1 dash, it only differs regarding the added stitching in the gen 2.

It's worth noting that black leather is by far the most common and makes sourcing parts easier, so anyone setting out to do this would be well advised to buy a car with a black interior.

The parts:

IMG-9697.jpg.ffe8a126a705ed1d13c7db3c65e8c85c.jpg

• Like 1

Cost was £1,000 on the nose for the parts from a breaker in Leeds, just under £700 fit (dash alone took 10 hours labour). All inc VAT.

Anyway, for anyone wondering it can be done. Also worth reporting no squeaks or rattles, all feels and sounds solid as before. So far!

Edited by eponymoose

Few other details.

Some of the sockets for the locating tabs on the door cards will likely be broken on any breaker door card. I was able to browse about 30-40 door cards at a breaker, but all and at least a few broken sockets. One could in theory fit a 997 dash top, and I considered it. But it adds an extra level of complexity and a little uncertainty. I this was a second car, I'd have gone for it as I prefer the 997 dash top. But it's an only car, so I didn't want to lose it for an extended period if a problem emerged.

As for the £1,700 cost, I would happily have paid a few thousand extra for a car with extended leather in the first place. So for me the main impediment was the hassle and the uncertainty regarding if I could find the parts, how expensive fitting would be and if I'd have problems like rattles or speakers not working. So far, so good.

• Platinum Member

Good work and looks brilliant 🤩 - you’d never know that want factory spec’d 👍🏻

Love a mod like this, most people won't realise unless they know the cars. But makes it feel personal every time to sit in it. 

Good effort! 

10 points to anyone who can spot the one incorrect feature for an extended leather interior in this spec of 987 (well, other than the 997-spec door cards)...

• Founder
3 hours ago, eponymoose said:

10 points to anyone who can spot the one incorrect feature for an extended leather interior in this spec of 987 (well, other than the 997-spec door cards)...

Shouldn't the SC be leather too?

9 hours ago, eponymoose said:

Beanoir has won that :)

Do I get bonus points for pointing out you have missed three pieces... VERY rare pieces, but they were exclusive options one could order at the time.  I'll give you clues 

the 1st has a left and right side piece 

the 2nd has a top and bottom

the 3rd is above your head

Edited by Julian987
  • Like 1
  • Founder
54 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

Beanoir has won that :)

Do I get bonus points for pointing out you have missed three pieces... VERY rare pieces, but they were exclusive options one could order at the time.  I'll give you clues 

the 1st has a left and right side piece 

the 2nd has a top and bottom

the 3rd is above your head

Front dash top windscreen panel, steering column cover and sun visors? 

26 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

Front dash top windscreen panel, steering column cover and sun visors? 

I'd forgotten about the sun visors! though I don't think that was an Exclusive option, but could have been. Very good! 

The other, as far as I am aware, is the leather surround for the interior light, now I could admittedly be wrong on that, but pretty sure it was an Exclusive option. 

Either way, very good! full marks to you!

I am in the process of ordering the leather steering column surround. Once done I'll share a pic.

Best regards

Julian

14 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

Shouldn't the SC be leather too?

Correct! Chrono clock is the only missing part.

The other stuff isn't part of the extended leather package. There's a huge list of stuff you could have covered in leather optionally. Along with the stuff mentioned, there's the door release surrounds, the whole centre console between the seats and more. But not part of the ext' leather package.

• Founder

I think the extended leather you’ve done is about right, too many bits covered in leather can become a bit overkill.  

Looks good 👍🏻