Headlight performance

Madmoggy

Last night I came to an unlit section of road with just a bit of ambient light, and had to check the headlights were switched on. Is it just me, or are the lights generally poor? My previous  car was a Saab and they were much better (non xenons)

can I upgrade the bulbs to something better without overheating the lenses? Any recommendations?

Edited by Madmoggy

My 981 has halogens too, and I was used to Xenons on my previous three cars. I can't say I've noticed much difference when on full beam but I've noticed there's a trend toward whiter standard bulbs when I've read threads on improving the output. However, many say that a yellow light is better for the human eye to spot things than a white light.

Whilst under warranty I'm not bothered about getting more output but it would be interesting to know what has been done successfully on various models.

The CAN bus system in many vehicles means finding a suitable, proven, upgrade whereas many bulbs and kits will set off warnings and/or won't last long.

The quality and reliability of aftermarket HID conversion kits has improved dramatically recently, the burning of lenses is really only a problem if you don't wash your lenses regularly, hence why cars with factory Xenon always come with headlight washers.  

Try HID Direct for aftermarket kits, these just plug straight in and no messing around.  

The other option is to get brighter Haligen bulbs which can make a good improvement, but they can be nearly as expensive as HID kits. 

For the HIDs I thought the headlights had to be fitted with self levelling devices to be compliant? To be honest I haven't even checked whether the headlights do this already etc.
I think Im just going to stick uprated bulbs in for now, Osram Nightbreakers seem to be good without causing oncoming traffic a problem. If Im still not happy I will either look at the HID kits or just take the Mini when its dark :) 

On 6 March 2016 at 17:55, Trickle said:

... the burning of lenses is really only a problem if you don't wash your lenses regularly, hence why cars with factory Xenon always come with headlight washers.  

:rofl:

• Founder

You're both right actually, washing AND levelling (although if the car has self levelling suspension that conforms also in lieu of self levelling headlights).

It also depends what wattage you go with, there are lower wattage HID kits that don't burn as hot. 30w vs. 55w for instance. 

I replaced the bulbs in my 986 with Osram Nightbreakers (always cheap at Euro Carparts) and the difference was a huge improvement, just make sure your headlights are aligned correctly otherwise you'll be blinding oncoming drivers, and wonder why you keep being flashed. 

I've never found the CR lights to be a problem though.  

Some good info in this link: http://www.carlightblog.com/2013/10/22/a-clean-beam-the-purpose-of-the-headlamp-washer-system/

This shows that a washer system is needed if Halogen or Xenons emit more than 2,000 lumens. The reason for the washer is to remove dirt which could interrupt the high output beam causing dazzle to oncoming drivers.

The 981 Cayman S Xenons are under 2,000 lumens, hence no standard washer system, or option to add washers. This only comes with PDLS as the Xenons are more powerful. 

There are some who believe headlamps are getting too powerful and becoming a danger. An example here: http://lightmare.org

Note the link to HID kits being illegal, under "Worst offenders", then go to bottom of that page.

Hope that helps?