New owner - Meteor Grey Cayman R

Meteor_CR

3 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

H&S add an extra external pipe to the exhaust, so it’s a visible mod.  

I went the Carnewal route for my R and I was really pleased with it, not only does it keep it looking stock, but it sounds as close to proper Porsche sound as any of the other options.  The Carnewal mod is completely internal and you won’t know it’s been touched by looking at it. 

I had Paragon do the swap, cost me about £400 in labour.  The best way to do it, is drive over to Gert at Carnewal and get him to do the whole thing while you wait, and enjoy the trip at the same time.  

I did wonder from some of the pics I'd seen as to whether it was an external pipe that H&S add. I'm most likely to go down the Carnewal route... I was just hoping for a slightly lower fitting cost.

I have looked at lots of other aftermarket systems which are also tempting, but am concerned about drone and have heard the Carnewal is good for this, plus I wanted to spend the budget on a few other things like the SSK, wheel alignment and maybe the Chrono retrofit, plus a detail and ceramic coat. Too many things on the list! 

Overall I'm loving the car, and also enjoying meeting likeminded folk! Looking forward to Simply Porsche in a few weeks time and have also booked tickets to Boxengasse if anyone else is going. 

• Like 1

• Founder

Just to add, because the aftermarket option has benefits as Syer points out above.  Unfortunately, those aftermarket options don’t offer much choice for the Cayman R, as it’s a different exhaust bore to the Cayman S.  There are one or two options (Fabspeed etc) but they’re not cheap.  Careful if any aftermarket exhaust claims to fit a Cayman R, always check the diameter, they probably will fit but you’ll be restricting the exhaust.  

P.S. yes I quite fancy Boxengasse - I tried to book the first year they did it, but told me I couldn’t unless I was air cooled! I assume that’s changed? 

Thanks for the heads-up @Beanoir™

Exhausts seem to be a bit of a minefield for the R and as you say, not many are R specific. I'm pretty set on the budget friendly Carnewal option, which from what I can tell also sounds great. 

As for Boxengasse, it is air-cooled and water-cooled these days. Supposed to be a good event. 

5 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Car looks awesome ! Great pics…

Some love being lavished on it right there. Good luck with all that….

I went for an after-market stainless system. As fantastic as the Carnewal sounds. I couldn’t get my head around modifying an exhaust that’s already quite a few years old. 

The stock system is supposed to be stainless. But I believe it’s a poor quality stainless used - and these do suffer with corrosion….

Either way - it’s guaranteed to sound a little more Porsche like  with some added ‘breathing’ via a non stock system.

Thanks @sevenfourate

Loving Meteor Grey and the way it changes colour in different lights. Need a couple of bits done to make her perfect but all in good time. 

I know what you mean about the Carnewal but I can't justify £2k plus to blow on a stainless system right now, what with a wedding to pay for!

Full PSE retrofit would be my preferred route, but that's another level again. 

• Founder

I assume you’ve seen the video on the Carnewal website for the R exhaust? It’s actually my car, well my old CR.  Gert has borrowed the video by the looks of it.  

http://www.carnewal.com/products/987/p87026/987-2-Carnewal-GT-exhaust-made-from-new-Cayman-R-mufflers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beanoir™ said:

I assume you’ve seen the video on the Carnewal website for the R exhaust? It’s actually my car, well my old CR.  Gert has borrowed the video by the looks of it.  

http://www.carnewal.com/products/987/p87026/987-2-Carnewal-GT-exhaust-made-from-new-Cayman-R-mufflers

@Beanoir™- yes, have seen that one thanks, amongst hundreds of others. There was a Borla one that sounded really nice, but they don't make it any more.  From what a number of people say, the Carnewal is one of the best sounding, and doesn't drone. 

Nice just need a bit more growl and volume. 

I also loved the look of the Fabspeed carbon tips on @Mogsmex white R. That and the cross flow pipe is supposed to help.

It looks different to the ones I have seen online for the 987 though. His has a clean-cut carbon outer, where the ones I've seen have a both at the top with the Fabspeed logo on the stainless section.

On 16/05/2021 at 23:03, Meteor_CR said:

I also loved the look of the Fabspeed carbon tips on @Mogsmex white R. That and the cross flow pipe is supposed to help.

It looks different to the ones I have seen online for the 987 though. His has a clean-cut carbon outer, where the ones I've seen have a both at the top with the Fabspeed logo on the stainless section.

Thanks, I only purchased it as my std PSE ones wouldn't clean up to my standard and buying the fabspeed carbon ones in US of A and posting over was still considerably cheaper then OEM ones from dealer

I bought mine about 3 years ago and they have changed the design since then as one of my mates bought some about a year ago and the carbon is cutaway to show the logo on the steel section

Design 911 are now official importers might be worth a call see what stock they have on the shelf ? 

Thanks for the tip @Mogsmex... It's a shame they have changed it as I definitely prefer the look of the clean edge on yours.

I have noticed that the 981 version seems to be like that, and wonder whether that would fit. 

I'll also check out Design 911 thanks 👍

• 1 month later...

Brief update on just over 6 months of ownership... 

I've clocked over 4500 miles since I picked her up in November last year, seemingly trying to make up for the lack of driving in 2020! Most weekends I have been looking for an excuse to get up at the crack of dawn to make the most of clear roads before the 40mph crew emerge and bring misery to any keen driver looking to make swift progress and attack some bends!

Mostly I head south from the M25 across the Surrey Hills and down towards the South Downs, via the A272. The section between Billingshurst and Petworth is sublime, as is the section through Cowdray between Petworth and Midhurst. It's on roads like these where the R's chassis really comes alive! 

I have done a couple of meet-ups with other Cayman owners via Insta, as well as attending Simply Porsche and checking or B Road Hunting Club recently. Looking forward to the first PCGB Surrey meet on Sunday at Redhill Aerodrome. 

PGE had her first major service under my ownership at the beginning of the month. I took her to GT One in Chertsey on the recommendation of Riyad and another Porsche owner I know. Really good service by the team there, albeit it wasn't a cheap visit. 

40k service, spark plugs, drive belt, brake fluid change, rear brake pads and an airbag check result in a £1360 bill. The issue I've had with poor AC was down to a knackered condenser, but I've had to put that fix off till a later date due to having a wedding to pay for in a couple of months.

Pleased they didn't find anything else that needed replacing though, although I did find that the car has a K&N filter in place of the standard one. (Has been desnorked too).

Overall the car's running sweetly and I am still loving every drive in her! Just maybe need to tone down the miles a bit or I'll be at 10k a year in no time! Happy days 😁