Clutch and stuff

I'm still keeping an eye out for deals on 987.2 Flywheel kits as they seem to be the biggie price wise when it comes to clutches.  Autodoc showing a flash sale but looks like they just do the trick of putting the stated retail price up first. So circa £600 there. 

The Dutch supplier link earlier in this thread is still showing it at €517 (£450) incl  Taxes but how much would that be landed in the UK now??

https://www.porza.co.uk/product/vliegwiel-luk-415-0593-10

v8BZYi3.jpg

Edited by Andyoz

On my 2011, there is a very slight sense of vibration through the clutch pedal when I depress it doing changes. It's very slight and I might be imagining things as I have only noticed it a fee times. I wear very thin sole shoes so that maybe accentuates it too. Shame I haven't got any other 987.2 around me here that I can compare notes on.

Edited by Andyoz

Do you feel the vibration if you hold the pedal in a fixed position or only when the pedal is moving?  Mine was only when the pedal was moving and the cause was a knackered release bearing and worn guide tube.  

At your mileage, your DMF probably doesn't need changing.  Mine failed the rotation test so I changed it but my Son's was still going strong at around 95K when our OPC did his clutch.  Both Gen 1 S.

If your exhaust fittings are sorted, whipping the box out to do the flywheel later if necessary shouldn't take too long.

9 minutes ago, Woodhouse said:

Do you feel the vibration if you hold the pedal in a fixed position or only when the pedal is moving?  Mine was only when the pedal was moving and the cause was a knackered release bearing and worn guide tube.  

At your mileage, your DMF probably doesn't need changing.  Mine failed the rotation test so I changed it but my Son's was still going strong at around 95K when our OPC did his clutch.  Both Gen 1 S.

If your exhaust fittings are sorted, whipping the box out to do the flywheel later if necessary shouldn't take too long.

I'll need to pay attention next time I drive it. It is very faint vibration. I'll get a better description of it.

Yeah, with the Flywheel I plan to keep the car for a long time so figure if I'm refreshing stuff I may as well get the use out of it myself even if replacing it a bit early.  I plan to do 10k miles this year, already done 4k since October and 'lockdown'...proper driving seasons just started

Edited by Andyoz

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2021 at 22:15, Woodhouse said:

I've had another drive and really paid attention to the clutch pedal vibration.

If I am driving along and depress the pedal I feel it most when the pedal is near fully depressed.  If I keep the pedal pressed down and rev the engine (like you would for a downshift rev match), then the amount of vibration increases with engine revs.

It's not terrible, almost like a faint buzzing feeling in the sole of my shoe.  I wear very thin sole shoes to though.

I can get a 987.2 DMF for £540 from Autodoc at the moment.  I'm still tempted to grab one for the future as I plan to do alot of miles... 

Edited by Andyoz

• 3 months later...

Just following up on this.  When my Indie drove it, he wasn't too concerned.  Actually commented that the action felt very good.

Anyway, I'm at 60k miles and see Autodoc listing the Sachs clutch kit at £162 which is the lowest I've ever seen it.  I am going to order it and store it away and will keep an eye out for a Luk flywheel that isn't priced to the moon..

9v7JJz0.jpeg

Edited by Andyoz
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of flywheels, has anyone fitted a lightend single mass one (I believe aasco makes them) instead of the DMF?

From what I have seen they're cheaper and should add engine response, performance with the reduction in rotational mass. May get some additional drivetrain noises but I suspect I could live with that.

I did start to research single mass but basically decided it would annoy me.  Can get funky at idle!

I found the headers improved engine response enough as I'm sure it felt to me the engine reved up faster but I might have imagined it.

Edited by Andyoz

Checking the product codes the AutoDoc one is identical to this one listed at Design 911 but £160 instead of £220.

https://www.design911shop.com/Porsche-Boxster-987-Cayman-SACHS-Clutch-Kit-3000951047-98711691332/prod4338/?showtax=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjws4aKBhDPARIsAIWH0JU3eCOTQAc-g0OHgXgVA6EZ1vkYuVINXh_NEhK0CpFiNdBYLEL5BaEaAiwyEALw_wcB

I've been having alot of success with AutoDoc lately - only negative is it takes about 10 days to arrive but I'm patient.

Edited by Andyoz

3 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

Checking the product codes the AutoDoc one is identical to this one listed at Design 911 but £160 instead of £220.

https://www.design911shop.com/Porsche-Boxster-987-Cayman-SACHS-Clutch-Kit-3000951047-98711691332/prod4338/?showtax=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjws4aKBhDPARIsAIWH0JU3eCOTQAc-g0OHgXgVA6EZ1vkYuVINXh_NEhK0CpFiNdBYLEL5BaEaAiwyEALw_wcB

I've been having alot of success with AutoDoc lately - only negative is it takes about 10 days to arrive but I'm patient.

Agree on Autodoc, and the app tends to be cheaper than the website as far as I can tell.

I got new rear discs (Brembo), pads (Brembo) and wear sensors (Bosch) for £142 inc. VAT on one of their deals recently. Wayyy cheaper than D911's packages.

^^^ Yes, always order via the App and wait for the max 40% discount days....

I got a load of Meyle and TRW suspension components via them

Edited by Andyoz

Just following up on my post above to the AutoDoc clutch kit

I'm getting slightly confused as that Sachs model code 3000 970 024 brings it up on Design 911 as being for a Gen 1.

https://www.design911shop.com/Porsche-Boxster-987-Cayman-SACHS-Clutch-Kit-3000951047-98711691332/prod4338/

But Design 911 show a different priced unit for the gen 2...

https://www.design911shop.com/Clutch-Kit-Porsche-987-MKII-Boxster-S-34L---987C-MKII-Cayman-S-34L---Sachs/prod13516/

But then I see listing like this for that code 3000 970 024 and under compatible vehicles both gen 1 and 2 are listed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SACHS-3000-970-024-CLUTCH-KIT-MAN-/402050098842

Does anyone know if gen 1 and 2 use the same clutch kit (I understand the flywheel is different)

EDIT: just checked the service manuals for gen1 and 2 and they definitely have different clutches, you can see it in the product codes and the different design in the pictures in the manuals.

Edited by Andyoz