Real world difference between Cayman 987.2 S and R

47 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

^^^ Yeah once my kids nick off I do fancy running a hot hatch daily!

Getting the kids in the back has always been one of the attractions / justifications for a hot hatch as a daily. Although I guess if you have more than two it'd be a tight squeeze for family outings 🙂

1 minute ago, Draven said:

Getting the kids in the back has always been one of the attractions / justifications for a hot hatch as a daily. Although I guess if you have more than two it'd be a tight squeeze for family outings 🙂

Yeah, three kids, a dog, cat and a weeks worth of supplies to ship up to our holiday place in remote Ireland!!

Merc Estate is the only game in town.  Have to say the 3.0 litre v6 diesel fairly shifts though...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Wise words and appreciable insight!  A hot hatch and an R are undoubtedly a great combo - FK8 CTR and R here.  I had an S2000 and the R, and it was extremely conflicting at times.  There is never any confliction with the FK8; it's the practical (albeit fast and fun) daily and that's all it should be.

I assumed this thread may have devolved since last night but it has proven stimulating with multiple perspectives.

Can't argue with that combo - the CTR is an immensely capable car, with ability, handling and feedback that belie its price point. 

I can see that the S2000 wouldn't have been as convicing a foil for the R - even less torque and needing to be revved to infinity to get the best from it, but when you're pushing up towards 9,000rpm 😁

With the CTR you're getting that distinction between torque and power, mid-range grunt and high revving power - complementing each other perfectly. 

3 hours ago, Andyoz said:

I bought my R sight unseen - I'd never even seen one in the flesh - and was pleasantly surprised.

Me too, I had only ever seen a Gen 1 back in the day when they originally came out, and another a few years ago whilst driving past. So in the space of a decade or more, I only ever saw two....and never an R. 

6 hours ago, Andyoz said:

The other little surprise I had when going to buckets seats - it's harder for me to heel/toe easily.  I'm 51 and twisting my foot/angle without a bit of free hip action isn't as easy as it was even 10 years.  Just a little side affect to consider.  Feck they look so good though i will take one for the team there LOL

Totally off the OPs original topic - but I’ve noticed this in the past year (approaching 49), my right hip just doesn’t allow the same degree of rotation to enable my heel to depress the throttle pedal. 

so I’ve modified my approach (aided by the GT mast cylinder giving a higher brake pedal bite point) - I depress the brake with ball of right foot and pivot my foot 90deg clockwise around the ball so I can then blip the throttle with the toes of my right foot. 

it’s also been helped by buying some sparco imola driving shoes - they provide a lot of feel on the pedals and ability to precisely position my foot across both. 

hope that helps you with you H&Ting 👍🏻

5 hours ago, Andyoz said:

I'm pretty shallow and another thing the R has is the SportDesign steering wheel as standard.  Now that's something you are always interacting with and looking at - not many spec'd them on an S from factory - try and go buy one now ...££££

It's all these little things that add up to the total experience that goes beyond how a car handles etc....

Agree with this - I swapped my standard wheel for the sports design (on my ‘lowly’ 7/10ths CS 😉) and it both looks and feels so much better. 

and also painted the centre console - which again changes the aesthetic and sense of occasion about the car. 

interestingly noticed one of the white Rs at sundays event had all the rear boot trim painted white. I’ve only ever seen that in my car (was spec’d at build by original purchaser) - must be rare as hens teeth and easily adds 15bhp and £10k to value.... 😜

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, CaymanCup_Chris said:

The R is a lovely road car, but a few tweaks to an S will make a better track car, and probably a better road car too.  However, you can’t really make an R out of an S, much like you can’t make a 2.7RS out of a Carrera. You’ll always be missing that something special that isn’t anything other than it’s provenance, you can’t recreate that.

I think that's a good point.  There must be at least a dozen things about an R that makes it an R.  Some small and some larger and some that S owners won't even try to replicate because it just isn't cost effective for any performance gains (the 55mm bore exhaust ex. headers is over £3k to buy new BTW, good luck on the aero kit and God knows about the doors).

There is a good chance that once I've had a few years of my lightly tweaked, louder, slightly faster R, I'll just take it back to 'stock' except for the map.  Even fit the stock exhaust headers again and just enjoy the car for what it is.

If I want a track car my R isn't it....in my budget range a modded MX5, etc. is as much fun and no Porsche tax.  If some hot Golf R wants to trash me on a B road then let them win...

Edited by Andyoz

57 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Agree with this - I swapped my standard wheel for the sports design (on my ‘lowly’ 7/10ths CS 😉) and it both looks and feels so much better. 

and also painted the centre console - which again changes the aesthetic and sense of occasion about the car. 

interestingly noticed one of the white Rs at sundays event had all the rear boot trim painted white. I’ve only ever seen that in my car (was spec’d at build by original purchaser) - must be rare as hens teeth and easily adds 15bhp and £10k to value.... 😜

Never seen that done, so you mean this piece painted body colour yep?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/98755515100U02.html

An interesting topic. I've not owned an R but they really appeal. I think they're worth the money and then some but unfortunately when I was looking I couldn't afford one..List the spec/quality/rarity/dynamics on paper and it sounds pretty magical to my mind..

However as others have said, I think the S is underrated and offers up well given a few choice mods...In some instances said mods might be better than R spec, ( adjustable coilovers, better LSD etc), if chosen wisely.

I also agree on the finer points..I found in the S the brake pedal travel too long, the throttle pedal too far away,the response slightly leggy, the shift not quite as positive as it could be. Choice mods see to all this. Not noticable to the uninitiated but an improvement if you are looking to make it as good as it can be..

As an example I have my sprint booster set on the second lowest setting..£180 worth of undetectable change to the layman..Well spent marginal gain to my mind..Rennline throttle pedal..an expensive piece of aluminium but worth it to improve heel and toe down shifts..GT3 mc sorts the middle pedal etc..

I found the traction lacking at times, cue Wavetrac LSD..., the revs a bit slow to rise, cue LWFW..

As some of you know I, ( and the previous owner ), have been right through the car to bring it to a spec that I think would likely rival an R..

Granted it's gen1, ( but with a rebuilt engine ), and never going to be as special as an R but I'm surprised there's not more cars around that have been modified. Diminishing returns no doubt plays a big part of it but I also think theres just a lack of appreciation re how good a car can be built as and when funds allow..

If you anyone fancies said recipe without the full financial outlay my car is for sale...A bit more than a stock tidy S, but a lot cheaper than an R or building your own..It seems there are plenty of people out there waiting for the proverbial unicorn spec R but seemingly not that many people who want a car that's dynamically right with it for less than half the money.. Just goes to show, the Rs appeal for many is not the dynamics alone but more so the combination of rarity/cache/dynamics

See as here if it's of interest to any wannabe R owners that can't afford one..

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11513565

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Nope, this trim:

7E41E115-8C49-470C-AA74-45B4F887C873.jpeg

Ah I see. Thanks for sharing. That does look great! Wow had no idea that was an original option.