Hunting for my first Porsche: A Cayman 987.2

1 hour ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Evening all,

I’ve been away with work so haven’t had a chance to reply! Things are progressing with the 3.4 S in Meteor Grey nicely. Got a PPI booked in week after next, they are crazy busy. 

In the interim, I’ve found another private sale not listed in an almost identical spec but with some differences:

80k vs 60k miles

2012 vs 2009

Full service history vs one missing stamp and a three year gap

Sports seats vs xenons

LSD vs PASM

Michelin PS4s vs Contisports

Both 19” wheels

The seller is also not that forthcoming with paperwork though promises to have it and willing to chat over phone. Comms have been slow though so seems a bit off, could be me.

Most of everything else is the same though, inc price at £22k. Which would you choose?! 

Sticking to my guns at the mo but really tempted by the xenons and PASM. Worth it though?? Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Matt

Xenons and PASM are on my want list. LSD I think would be a nice to have but not essential. For me the three year gap would depend upon how recent that gap was and a seller that is not forthcoming on paperwork often doesn't have it (or all of it) in my experience. At the end of the day, they are quite different cars; probably different enough that you'd quite quickly know your preference if you viewed them both.

Edited by Ginginho

1 hour ago, Julian987 said:

Is the interior the same spec? the 2012 has the rare extended leather doors/dash etc. does the 2009? not that it is the be all and end all, but it is something. Same level of PCM? 

Will it be a keeper? if not then 80K could soon become 100K and when you sell it on that mileage could become a sticking point to a sale....but then again it is priced low 20s so its probably fairly priced. 

Are you likely to drive much at night? I've used my lights once on my R. 

There is a thread I quizzed on tyres lower down the forum the other day, and forum members rave on the PS4s. 

Interior is remarkably same spec yeah, extended leather and same PCM unit. Probably not a keeper keeper but will likely do 6k miles a year. No idea on night time driving...possibly. How much difference do they make? 

22 minutes ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Interior is remarkably same spec yeah, extended leather and same PCM unit. Probably not a keeper keeper but will likely do 6k miles a year. No idea on night time driving...possibly. How much difference do they make? 

I have read bad reviews on the non-Xenons. I came to the R from a 944 Turbo which had dreadful lights, so it'll be based on what ones benchmark is. For me, the non-Xenons are light years ahead of where I came from with the 944...but I might have Xenons, its not clear from my spec sheet and I am unsure what visually distinguishes them apart.

So in two years you'll be hitting 100K hmmmm. Is that an issue? I don't know. 

Just looked at the pics of it again, it does look immaculate. 

You have it reserved for the week ahead whilst PPI is sorted so you always have a week to see what else comes up. 

For 987 cars, I believe all those with factory Xenons will have headlamp washers.

Xenons are a must for me as I get older and night vision deteriorates.  I rarely drive my Cayman at night but a 2 hour drive home from Silverstone circuit in the early hours this morning in my 981 reminded me how much better they are.

Edited by Woodhouse
Typo

5 hours ago, Woodhouse said:

For 987 cars, I believe all those with factory Xenons will have headlamp washers.

Xenons are a must for me as I get older and night vision deteriorates.  I rarely drive my Cayman at night but a 2 hour drive home from Silverstone circuit in the early hours this morning in my 981 reminded me how much better they are.

Ah thats good to know....that means I don't have Xenons then as I don't have the headlamp washers. It might be crackers of me to say, but I am not a fan of those washers anyway, prefer the less cluttered look without them.

Thank you for confirming!

On 28/05/2021 at 22:48, Matt_Chaps said:

New one

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105303255814

Similar to the 6ft 6 one. Maybe they bought it, realised they couldn't fit and are selling it on?!? PSE, short shift, Spyder wheels, sports seats, black accents....its nice!

3 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Nice one Jochen! How much you get for it? 

Yeah that white one looks very similar!!

Its now sold. Same day as listed. Incredible huh, but a sign of the times

Edited by Julian987

All - apologies if I covered this before already but what was the conclusion on a Cayman with 80k on the clock? If a good service history then would it put you off? Also is having a bank of receipts from previous owners to be expected or a nice to have? 

I’ve paid a deposit for that meteor grey 3.4 S already so I’m all in pending a PPI. Crossing everything it comes back good.

49 minutes ago, Matt_Chaps said:

All - apologies if I covered this before already but what was the conclusion on a Cayman with 80k on the clock? If a good service history then would it put you off? Also is having a bank of receipts from previous owners to be expected or a nice to have? 

I’ve paid a deposit for that meteor grey 3.4 S already so I’m all in pending a PPI. Crossing everything it comes back good.

Whilst it might not put you off, nor others, it probably would harm your chances when it comes to resell....as like I say it wont belong before you hit 100K miles. I am no expert but I sense that mileage sum is a turn off, no matter what the paperwork.

100K on an air cooled is expected and accepted. I am too new to Caymans to know if 100k after, lets say, 10 years is acceptable? You'd like to think it would be, but I'm not sure it is.

Assume you mean receipts, not bank receipts. the former expected, the latter most troubling! :)

Let me flip the question, does it concern you?

It does concern me a bit about resale yeah but have also read that these cars are built to last if properly maintained.

Only thing is the seller doesn’t have historic receipts from previous owners or any information - although it does have a full book of official Porsche or Indy stamps. That isn’t ideal but guess the stamps prove it’s been looked after. Also the high mileage as due to commuting early in its life.

On 25/05/2021 at 22:33, Stumac62 said:

I'd like a PDK but it's not a deal breaker as they say.

Cheers,

Stu.

How about this? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106063546428?

Update: just noticed it is listed wrong and not a Black Edition as there is no badge on the glovebox. 

Edited by Julian987

12 minutes ago, 24057 said:

Just looking at this one, looks like a nice example. Reasonable price too considering the works it’s had done 

yep just that it is listed as a Black Edition when it is obviously not, which would make me suspicious of the seller  - then again in their defence they might have been wrongly lead to believe it was a black edition, as i have seen a few listed over the years claiming as such but the give away is the glove box would have the plaque badge on it. 

It does look nice though! 

1 hour ago, Ginginho said:

Manual, PASM, Chrono. Mileage a little high at 74k but eye-catching: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106033409919 

It really shows how prices are jumped...assuming he gets near asking 

I'd want it to have had a new clutch, and signs of suspension refresh in key areas for that money.  

3 hours ago, Ginginho said:

Manual, PASM, Chrono. Mileage a little high at 74k but eye-catching: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106033409919 

I think when compared to the one Matt is going for

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105172746975?

then its not that great.

3 hours ago, Julian987 said:

I think when compared to the one Matt is going for

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105172746975?

then its not that great.

PPI is finally here!! This Friday :)

Hopefully I’ll be officially a Cayman owner by Saturday and driving it home. Fingers crossed.

Have had a few moments where the mileage has still made me think twice on the resale but YOLO. Right?!