Hunting for my first Porsche: A Cayman 987.2

7 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

PPI is finally here!! This Friday :)

Hopefully I’ll be officially a Cayman owner by Saturday and driving it home. Fingers crossed.

Have had a few moments where the mileage has still made me think twice on the resale but YOLO. Right?! 

It can actually be liberating to not give a fook about mileage. Embrace it!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Hopefully I’ll be officially a Cayman owner by Saturday and driving it home. Fingers crossed.

Have had a few moments where the mileage has still made me think twice on the resale but YOLO. Right?! 

Considering the mileage/specs, it is a good price. Have you seen it in the flesh? I forgot if you had? if so, how is it in person?

15 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

Considering the mileage/specs, it is a good price. Have you seen it in the flesh? I forgot if you had? if so, how is it in person?

I actually haven’t Julian - will be all on the day! He’s based up in Leeds and I’m in London so a 3/4 hour journey. Relying on pics, phone convo and PPI to get the job done.

He sent me a personal walk around video and it looked good. There are some stone chips on the bonnet and a small Chip in the window screen but that’s all I noticed. Some scuffs on the leather passenger side dash/glovebox too. 

I think it’s a good price for the spec and engine though compared to what I’ve seen. Or dare I say a ‘normal’ price for this over-priced market! 

There’s a similar 3.4 meteor grey on AT right now (not sure if it was already linked) but at £25k or so! With not many less miles. So fingers crossed this one is a gem.

8 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Looks great. Wouldn’t worry about the mileage as it’s priced sensibly. The market price for caymans hasn’t increased that much in comparison to some cars. Eg 991 Gt3 have jumped up like £20k. Whereas caymans 987.2 where at their lowest before Covid and have probably only jumped up by £2/3k per car on average, which isn’t really too bad at all. I bet the car you’re looking at wouldn’t of been much cheaper a year ago. £20k maybe, so maybe £1/2k cheaper tops, which really isn’t that bad imo

43 minutes ago, Matt_Chaps said:

I actually haven’t Julian - will be all on the day! He’s based up in Leeds and I’m in London so a 3/4 hour journey. Relying on pics, phone convo and PPI to get the job done.

He sent me a personal walk around video and it looked good. There are some stone chips on the bonnet and a small Chip in the window screen but that’s all I noticed. Some scuffs on the leather passenger side dash/glovebox too. 

I think it’s a good price for the spec and engine though compared to what I’ve seen. Or dare I say a ‘normal’ price for this over-priced market! 

There’s a similar 3.4 meteor grey on AT right now (not sure if it was already linked) but at £25k or so! With not many less miles. So fingers crossed this one is a gem.

Ah, that you are in London, what I would recommend is, once purchased (all being well) is to take it to Richard Tipper for a good ol’ detail.

Richard is a Cayman R owner and, forget your Topaz’s etc, he is as good as they get … view his work at

twitter.com/richardtipper?lang=en

So any marks you see, I’m sure a good detail (as it might not have had one in a decade) will sort it out.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2021 at 13:59, Matt_Chaps said:

It’s a 10 year old car - the mileage isn’t high. 

Porsches are not made of chocolate, they don’t spontaneously combust / evaporate / turn to dust / magically disappear / turn into a gremlin if fed after midnight when the odometer ticks over 70/80/90/100k miles 😉

what matters is maintaining them well throughout their life to ensure longevity and reliability. 👍🏻

Your PPI should ID all the usual watch points like clutch, suspension bushes, coolant pipes corrosion, brake lines corrosion etc. 

im sure you’ll have many happy miles of driving her, enjoy collecting and driving her home. 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

It’s a 10 year old car - the mileage isn’t high. 

Porsches are not made of chocolate, they don’t spontaneously combust / evaporate / turn to dust / magically disappear / turn into a gremlin if fed after midnight when the odometer ticks over 70/80/90/100k miles 😉

what matters is maintaining them well throughout their life to ensure longevity and reliability. 👍🏻

Your PPI should ID all the usual watch points like clutch, suspension bushes, coolant pipes corrosion, brake lines corrosion etc. 

im sure you’ll have many happy miles of driving her, enjoy collecting and driving her home. 😃

Haha indeed Windymiller, point heard! 

What would be a major flag from the PPI that would put you off? Or which things would be big enough to justify asking the seller to factor into a lower price? Im

thinking maybe suspension and coolant pipes? Everything else probably not big enough to worry about straight away..

It’s already had one suspension arm done recently but weirdly not the other. Coolant not done. Brake pads and rotors done and a new clutch though.

And good shout on the detailer Julian…..very tempting…….!!!

1 hour ago, Julian987 said:

one last one to muse on Matt....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106093673198?

aware you didn't want black but that is a lovely manual S

Lovely, black on black isn't for me (what did I expect from the 'Black Edition'?), but spec wise that one's pretty much fully loaded (missing extended leather and sports seats).

4 hours ago, Stumac62 said:

Hi Matt. So are you travelling up to get the car or will you have it delivered?

Hope all goes well. 

I’m travelling up to get it. Are you still looking Stu? 

1 hour ago, Julian987 said:

one last one to muse on Matt....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106093673198?

aware you didn't want black but that is a lovely manual S

I think it was someone else who didn’t want black Julian - that is near my perfect car!! Just missing the PSE. And sadly well out of price range haha. I do love it though

2 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

I think it was someone else who didn’t want black Julian - that is near my perfect car!! Just missing the PSE. And sadly well out of price range haha. I do love it though

Aways worth negotiating huh. And unlike the R, the PSE retrofitted for the S seems less of a faff, though I could be showing my naivety there. See how the PPI goes on the one up North but whilst this Black Edition may be a bit more money, it is significantly less miles and more collectable and future proofed to depreciation  - if such a concept ever exists again?! 

and isn't the one up North in Leeds? if so this Black Edition is too, so perhaps go see both, could be worth doing as a comparable. 

Plus as I say you can always add PSE (and some would say other 3rd party exhausts are better anyway), so do you really need PSE on day one of ownership? not putting you off your purchase, i wish you well, but that is close to your ideal spec and manual Black Editions seem rare, most I have ever seen for sale are PDK. 

I wouldn't let lack of PSE put me off any car.  Lets face it, if you have it I bet it's always on and in that case just get the Carnewal mod done...

I run catless headers on mine and thought having the PSE would be great as I can switch it On/Off.  Nope!!...it's always on and the actuator is even permanently disconnected in engine bay.  These cars can be driven quietly below 3000rpm around town if you short shift.

Edited by Andyoz

6 minutes ago, wtaite01 said:

Looks like it has PSE to me, it's got the button a least! 

Well spotted! 😀 yep it has PSE then. To me that is THE BEST S available and the best since that Paragon one, but this being the Black Edition is all the more special. Appreciate we all have different depths of pockets, but if financing was needed, financing on the £8K difference between this and the Silver one, in this day and age, would be peanuts. 

22 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Haha indeed Windymiller, point heard! 

What would be a major flag from the PPI that would put you off? Or which things would be big enough to justify asking the seller to factor into a lower price? Im

thinking maybe suspension and coolant pipes? Everything else probably not big enough to worry about straight away..

It’s already had one suspension arm done recently but weirdly not the other. Coolant not done. Brake pads and rotors done and a new clutch though.

coolant pipes and hoses at this age, I’d be surprised if your PPI doesn’t pick them up if they haven’t been done already. 

and maybe some significant suspension refresh (ie shocks and therefore potentially multiple control arms and drop links etc if their seized when removed). That said, I do think the suspensions on these can be good for 100k+ miles, it really does depend how they’ve been treated in the preceding years and miles, which hopefully your PPI will pick up. 

consider cosmetics like drivers seat bolster condition - a possible retrim would cost you, not prohibitively so, but worth having something to negotiate with/on. 

none of the above would put me off, so long as their replacement cost was factored into the purchase price. 

what would put me off more would be an unreceipted service history. Stamps in a book are one thing, I always want to see receipted proof of what has been done and I believe a caring owner will make the effort to keep them. I have a folder for my cayman with every receipt in it for every service and maintenance visit and every item bought for it (even down to plastic clips and screws for eg my DIY bumper removal and refit). 

that kind of history shows the car has been cherished and cared for, and that makes the biggest difference as to the underlying condition of the car. 

when do you get the PPI report / feedback?

Edited by Windymiller