Hunting for my first Porsche: A Cayman 987.2

2 hours ago, Andyoz said:

So Cayman R money for a gen 1 Tiptronic ....where's my chequebook:)

Nice car, but that wing in my opinion is just so ugly.......looks to big for the car, the GT4 wing is IMO perfect

On 09/05/2021 at 00:28, Andyoz said:

The 2.9 is a non DFI and from what I hear (mates got one) can actually sound better than the 3.4, at least in terms of induction noise.

Don't discount s good 2.9 as it's an interesting engine.

Will bear this in mind Andy. 

No new cars to the market lately! The wait is painful...

Has got me thinking though all – what prices are ‘normal’ for a 987.2 manual? As right now they are inflated due to the pandemic demand etc etc. 

And would sacrifice a summer of driving and try to wait a little to ride this out?!

9 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Has got me thinking though all – what prices are ‘normal’ for a 987.2 manual? As right now they are inflated due to the pandemic demand etc etc. 

And would sacrifice a summer of driving and try to wait a little to ride this out?!

Only thing I would say is the spread in prices between the 2.9 and 3.4 seems to have narrowed alot so the 3.4 might be worth the extra bit...

10 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Although I tend to be pretty pessimistic about the outlook for prices of the things that I own (which usually means that I am presently surprised come selling time 😊), I am not convinced that prices will drop sharply after everything opens up again. I suspect that they will as people start spending their spare cash on holidays and outings instead, but there could well be inflationary pressures pushing the other way; real assets such as used cars tend to do well as hedges against inflation because new ones become more expensive. Huge oversimplification of a complex issue in a very specific market, clearly, but wanted to offer a counter point as to why prices may not soften that much once lockdowns ease. 

The pessimist in me still thinks that they will soften though, and that's not to say that you won't still be able to take advantage of the 'buy in winter' approach to sports cars which seems like a reasonable approach to getting a discount in theory, though I haven't seen any specific evidence for this (maybe because I haven't looked!). 

Edit - I am not a financial advisor and none of the above should be taken as financial advice!

Edited by wtaite01

I do think the 987 has been undervalued for a while though so you have to think about what alternative mid engineered, well made cars there are...

They certainly aren't making cars like it anymore and there are enough cash buyers out there for that era of cars to support prices even if there was an economic twitch.

I think the bigger picture is you will do alot better out of them compared to a new techno hot hatch that could drop like a stone when the PCP brigade get caught out....

• Like 1

I see a thread about 'crazy values' on Piston Heads where WBAC are bidding £22k on 2011 987.2 with 50k miles.  That sure puts a floor on prices.

13 hours ago, Matt_Chaps said:

What did you make of this one ...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105032144081

looks tidy. Probably a tad overpriced compared to that paragon one (which you really should have put a deposit on sight unseen), but negotiable I'm sure!

4 hours ago, Andyoz said:

I do think the 987 has been undervalued for a while though so you have to think about what alternative mid engineered, well made cars there are...

They certainly aren't making cars like it anymore and there are enough cash buyers out there for that era of cars to support prices even if there was an economic twitch.

I think the bigger picture is you will do alot better out of them compared to a new techno hot hatch that could drop like a stone when the PCP brigade get caught out....

I think the 'what are the alternatives?' question is pertinent here. I specifically wanted something that was mid engined, rear wheel drive, normally aspirated, a coupe and with a manual gearbox. Put those requirements into Pistonheads and you only end up in one model under £20K currently.

The Exige/Elise was also an option I considered, but they are very different cars, tend to be more expensive and having driven an S1 Elise I can tell you that space and being able to steer without hitting parts of myself is an issue at 6ft 3! To be fair, this is an issue in the Cayman as well as I like to site quite close to the wheel, but not such a problem as it was in the Elise.

6 hours ago, Andyoz said:

I see a thread about 'crazy values' on Piston Heads where WBAC are bidding £22k on 2011 987.2 with 50k miles.  That sure puts a floor on prices.

My latest WBAC for my 2010 987.2 S with 22k miles is £25,860.

Edited by andygo

4 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

I think the 'what are the alternatives?' question is pertinent here. I specifically wanted something that was mid engined, rear wheel drive, normally aspirated, a coupe and with a manual gearbox. Put those requirements into Pistonheads and you only end up in one model under £20K currently.

The Exige/Elise was also an option I considered, but they are very different cars, tend to be more expensive and having driven an S1 Elise I can tell you that space and being able to steer without hitting parts of myself is an issue at 6ft 3! To be fair, this is an issue in the Cayman as well as I like to site quite close to the wheel, but not such a problem as it was in the Elise.

Having had both cars, they are indeed a different proposition. 987's are so much more practical, spacious and refined. An Elise is a fab car to drive, but always seemed (I had a new 111s in 2005) a bit 'British' and home made by comparison.

12 minutes ago, andygo said:

My latest WBAC for my 987.2 S with 22k miles is £25,860.

I tried the WBAC site out for the first time after buying my R and it offered me £28K.

Fast forward 10 months it’s now £33K. £5k increase in a year. If that is a barometer, then apply that rise to real world prices with dealers, I think we have seen that reflected for sure. The equivalent of an R with same spec and similar miles as mine is  £5k plus (more like £7k) to what I paid. 

repeat this trend for another year = R’s starting with a 6.

anyhow, back on topic to the original poster, if he can afford to go the distance he would be wise to go all in for an R.

Edited by Julian987

21 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

I tried the WBAC site out for the first time after buying my R and it offered me £28K.

Fast forward 10 months it’s now £33K. £5k increase in a year. If that is a barometer, then apply that rise to real world prices with dealers, I think we have seen that reflected for sure. The equivalent of an R with same spec and similar miles as mine is  £5k plus (more like £7k) to what I paid. 

repeat this trend for another year = R’s starting with a 6.

anyhow, back on topic to the original poster, if he can afford to go the distance he would be wise to go all in for an R.

Interestingly they only offered me £16K for my 2010 2.9 with 47K miles. WBAC seems to put a larger premium on the S relative to real world asking prices.

5 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

I tried a mates Exige.  I just didn't really gel with it.  It rattles when you start it up, the gear change is very vague and his was a 4 pot (about same price as used 987.2S?) and that Toyota engine just doesn't feel special at all compared to a flat 6.

One of the nice things about a Cayman is the happy feeling when you walk back to it when its parked is just how damn good looking they are.

We once had a car (Japanese) that my wife called a 'heavy heart car' which is what she felt every time she looked at it. Felt even worse when she sat in it with the 'quirky' interior. It lasted about a month before it went. That happened twice with different Jap cars, both of which on paper were fast and considered a good buy.

She has good taste, my wife, gawd knows what she thinks when she looks at me! If I was made from metal, I'd be a proper rust bucket with bits falling off.

Edited by andygo
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Julian987 said:

looks tidy. Probably a tad overpriced compared to that paragon one (which you really should have put a deposit on sight unseen), but negotiable I'm sure!

Thats lovely Matt, really nice love the dark blue colour

23 minutes ago, Jochen Klinsmann said:

Thats lovely Matt, really nice love the dark blue colour

Deffo the best one on the market at present. Offer 25, meet at 26, get the center console painted, upgrade the steering wheel, side decals, set of Fuchs, job done!

Is that a Porsche gear knob?...to be fair I quite like the centre console, it looks nice and well looked after I have to say, I have the OEM Cayman S Decals on mine, Im not to sure I like them that much....anyway great car Matt are you going to have a look at her??.....hope so😁

8 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Wow 😯 - i paid £28k 4 years ago for my 2010 987.2 S with 41k miles, from a dealer (Cridfords). 

If (but I’m not!) I was to sell mine currently I think I’d be looking for circa £25k. 🤔