Hunting for my first Porsche: A Cayman 987.2

49 minutes ago, Jochen Klinsmann said:

Is that a Porsche gear knob?...to be fair I quite like the centre console, it looks nice and well looked after I have to say, I have the OEM Cayman S Decals on mine, Im not to sure I like them that much....anyway great car Matt are you going to have a look at her??.....hope so😁

Could be an aftermarket gear knob. I have only seen an r one in real life. I sense you might be thinking you are speaking with Matt, but over the past few posts i am Julian, helping look out for cars for Matt to consider.

Shifter wise, i'd opt for this

https://car-bone.pl/shop/917-tribute-shifter-kit-black-964-993-996-997-991-924-944-968-928/

https://www.nineelevenoutlaw.com/outlawshop

wooden-shifter-kit-black-2.jpeg

wooden-shifter-kit-black.jpeg

Edited by Julian987
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Julian987 said:

What did you make of this one ...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105032144081

looks tidy. Probably a tad overpriced compared to that paragon one (which you really should have put a deposit on sight unseen), but negotiable I'm sure!

Description says black and I think any blue tinge is reflection from the buildings?

8 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

Interestingly they only offered me £16K for my 2010 2.9 with 47K miles. WBAC seems to put a larger premium on the S relative to real world 

On 09/05/2021 at 00:28, Andyoz said:

The 2.9 is a non DFI and from what I hear (mates got one) can actually sound better than the 3.4, at least in terms of induction noise.

Don't discount s good 2.9 as it's an interesting engine.

Dont really understand what drives WBAC calculation. I put my 2011 2.9 with 35k miles and got a valuation of 21,495mls this week.  

7 hours ago, Andyoz said:

Description says black and I think any blue tinge is reflection from the buildings?

Quite deceiving that, it does look dark .......but that is a corker of a car.....a real steal I think at that price

Edited by Jochen Klinsmann

7 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Could be an aftermarket gear knob. I have only seen an r one in real life. I sense you might be thinking you are speaking with Matt, but over the past few posts i am Julian, helping look out for cars for Matt to consider.

Shifter wise, i'd opt for this

https://car-bone.pl/shop/917-tribute-shifter-kit-black-964-993-996-997-991-924-944-968-928/

https://www.nineelevenoutlaw.com/outlawshop

wooden-shifter-kit-black-2.jpeg

wooden-shifter-kit-black.jpeg

Beautifully made, personally speaking, I think classic 911 styling should really only be for classic 911s, or else it just reminds me of all those kids back in the 1990s buying E30 318s, buying body kits off Ebay to look like an M3, and buying Chinese made M3 badges....Cayman is a Cayman thats why we all love this car.....thats just my personal opinion of course, and obviously to each his own

3 hours ago, Daz said:

Oh wow, okay, sounds like WBAC must have have pretty sensitive coefficients for age and/or mileage in their valuation model! The 987 isn't that old, but prices are starting to behave more akin to classic cars, so maybe it's the sort of car that their model can give larger spreads for than would be seen as reasonable by a human valuer.

Quotes have gone a bit odd above, for the record the above (repeated below) is my new post, not Daz's!

Oh wow, okay, sounds like WBAC must have have pretty sensitive coefficients for age and/or mileage in their valuation model! The 987 isn't that old, but prices are starting to behave more akin to classic cars, so maybe it's the sort of car that their model can give larger spreads for than would be seen as reasonable by a human valuer.

Extraordinary that someone buys such a lovely car then never uses it. It'll need recommissioning with a very thorough check and a few new parts I suspect (especially tyres which must be like 50p pieces 😆). Future museum piece (maybe this is where it came from?)

6 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

Impressive how crap he has managed to make that 'Unicorn' look!

Must be all the dust it's collected 🤣

Just now, Masher said:

Must be all the dust it's collected 🤣

Surprised the advert doesn't say ---> "Barn Find!"

• Founder
5 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

Surprised the advert doesn't say ---> "Barn Find!"

Nah, ‘unicorn’ is what all the cool kids use now 🦄

Thought the mileage might be a decimal place error and should have been 19000mls. Checked MOT history and it done 500 mls in 6 years

On 11/05/2021 at 00:33, Matt_Chaps said:

No new cars to the market lately! The wait is painful...

try this for size.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105112499912

Spyder Alloys, painted center column, short shifter, PCM3, steering wheel functions, sports exhaust That is a nice spec manual. 

59 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

try this for size.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105112499912

Spyder Alloys, painted center column, short shifter, PCM3, steering wheel functions, sports exhaust That is a nice spec manual. 

Sports seats too...Best one for ages...won't last long.  Those Spyders add near £2k to that car.

Edited by Andyoz

47 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

Sports seats too...Best one for ages...won't last long.  Those Spyders add near £2k to that car.

how do sports seats differ to non-sport seats of that era? Are sport seats a rare option?

a bit of a unicorn again that one isn’t it….it will be gone very quickly. The original poster Matt would be wise to check that one out. 

34 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

how do sports seats differ to non-sport seats of that era? Are sport seats a rare option?

a bit of a unicorn again that one isn’t it….it will be gone very quickly. The original poster Matt would be wise to check that one out. 

The sports seats have shoulder bolsters and I felt they hugged around the sides of the lower back more too. 

they might also have more ranges of movement 🤔

My experience of the sports seats was that they look lovely, but weren’t as comfy as the standard seats because I felt like I was sat ‘on’ the seat rather than deep in it. The side bolsters seemed too full and the shoulder bolsters seemed to round my shoulders over than support them. 

strangely my mates 986 Bx sports seats are very comfy as I’m able to truly sit deep into the seat. Also the 981 sports design seats feel supremely comfortable. 

The Spyder rims, color console and PSE are the main biggies there.  Don't underestimate how much that white console lifts an interior.  Fit some red belts and would look great...

Also note the black Spyders are correctly painted with the silver trim around the perimeter.

It's also got black side grilles and wing mirrors.  Check if they came like from are factory ....otherwise they came like this.

__large__9eb18a33-261e-4a82-94d8-f8ae3fa 

The white front grille looks a bit out of place though.  Better if all black to match side grille.  If you got the codes out of the front page of the service book you could tell how it came from factory.

3b008e57826f4e4d99feca71d0236fde.jpg

Didn't even wash the wheels before photos ...slack..

2e71c271dd5e4b97a6e3ab8f1a5cfdac.jpg

Edited by Andyoz

Just now, Andyoz said:

The Spyder rims, color console and PSE are the main biggies there.  Don't underestimate how much that white console lifts an interior.  Fit some red belts and would look great...

I can imagine on the console for sure. I was thinking it would be nice to change the dash trim currently in black to be white (might have to get a transfer icon for the cup holder logo, or just replace it entirely) . Probably inexpensive and again gives the cabin a lift. 

Unsure on the red seat belts unless the door pull update is made, but hey why not do both!