Hunting for my first Porsche: A Cayman 987.2

If you wanted to give a 2.9 a test then this one looks good to me: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105102432878?atmobcid=soc3

Spec is good (though not exceptional) but the history could make it a very nice example.

Re. 2.9 vs 3.4 - I have not driven a 3.4 so cannot comment on one specifically, but I will echo what others have said before: on a good b road I find even the 2.9 to be frustrating in that I have to significantly hold back to stay at sensible speeds, I imagine the 3.4 would be even more frustrating in the this respect. Ringing out 2nd gear to the redline (where it sounds best and is most characterful) takes me to over 70mph. The 3.4 has a slightly longer 2nd gear and hence the speed would be a little higher than this. On a track and even on a wide motorway it's different, but I have never found myself thinking "Maybe I should have gotten an S" whilst doing what I bought the car for: empty B road blasts. 

1 hour ago, Andyoz said:

^^^ do the 2.9 and 3.4 have different 2nd gear ratios?

TL;DR - According to the below, Yes. The manual 2.9 has a shorter (higher ratio) 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th than the 3.4. 3rd and 4th are the same.

Long version - The specs have moved and are a bit of a pain to get hold of, but if you go to the below, navigate to the '2008' dated sheet, and hit the download button, then 'Adobe Acrobat PDF', you can get to them.

https://press.porsche.com/prod/presse_pag/PressResources.nsf/WebResources?OpenView&Level1ID=1&Level3IDs=138-205-167-79&Archive=10&hl=modelle-Technical Specifications

Taking the numbers from there and the diameter of the oem 18 inch wheel Cayman S tyres (26.3 inches), the speeds in all gears at peak power (7200 rpm) for both are as follows according to the calculator here: http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml

1093655023_Screenshot2021-05-18at14_23_05.png.e3f916821f1cdb717ff050308484ccc3.png

1563281589_Screenshot2021-05-18at14_21_43.png.f75d33a3df26fc463880e5d4371d5f16.png

Edited by wtaite01

^^^ Never knew that.  I'd have thought they would just throw the same gearbox at them to keep inventory simpler.  Nice one Porsche.

Just now, Julian987 said:

Pick of the day…lovely this one. Has the extended leather! 😀

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105172746975

higher mileage than the Paragon one but priced lower accordingly.

I'm a sucker for a grey 987 but as standard they sit soooo high. The R suspension is only 20mm lower but it just looks much better - not too low but not too high

1 hour ago, Julian987 said:

100% this is the one for me - I’m trying to get through to the guy but no answer so far!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

I'm a sucker for a grey 987 but as standard they sit soooo high. The R suspension is only 20mm lower but it just looks much better - not too low but not too high

I know what you mean, the stance of the R is spot on. Not that i'd know but i'd imagine a suspension drop in height on a S is relatively easy. 

7 minutes ago, Matt_Chaps said:

100% this is the one for me - I’m trying to get through to the guy but no answer so far!

Ace! thats got your name on it! the lower price probably allows you £headroom to make a few mods on it. 

is it meteor grey?

Also do consider that white one with the 6foot six outcome as that is a better spec I reckon. More of a unicorn. Though then again maybe not as the silver one being cheaper would allow you to upgrade to the Spyder alloys and it would be about the same. 

As before, if you make the inlets black on that silver, like the Silver R's are, that would look great. 

this sort of vibe

7517.jpeg

Edited by Julian987

3 hours ago, Julian987 said:

The chap isn’t picking up phone :(. Tried six times today!

It's mental, I remember when solid cars sat on the classifieds for weeks/months...

Edited by Andyoz

1 minute ago, Andyoz said:

It's mental, I remembr when solid cars sat on the classifieds for weeks/months...

Kind of need to check now twice a day as if not, by the end of the day its already sold!

I remember being on the phone to Ashgoods about a perfect spec R in Dec 2019 when Porker values were sliding....it was £38k and I assume I could have got it for less as they'd had it a month.  I didn't feel the need to rush as wasn't ready to make the move...it hung around a bit longer too after that...Ah the good ol' days...

3 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

I remember being on the phone to Ashgoods about a perfect spec R in Dec 2019 when Porker values were sliding....it was £38k and I assume I could have got it for less as they'd had it a month.  I didn't feel the need to rush as wasn't ready to make the move...it hung around a bit longer too after that...Ah the good ol' days...

:)

I think Covid helped in my case (the 1st lockdown era of uncertainty), and that it was listed wrongly so only came up on AT under the 'unlisted' filter of cars. Must have been a month of deliberation and it was only when on the PH thread someone surface the advert and I figured the cat is out the bag now, I better get on it! And interestingly, they said after i put a deposit on it, RPM and dealers like that got in touch with them, so i bet it was that PH post that brought it to attention. 

5 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

I've gotta say though, and aware its not the correct forum, but as a comparison, these are starting to come down in price...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105182793811

yeah, because in the screwed up GTS world 60k miles is seen as being ready for the scrapper...madness...

Edited by Andyoz

Just now, Andyoz said:

yeah, because is the screwed up GTS world 60k miles is seen as being ready for the scrapper...madness...

Bonkers, as for bang for buck that is a great deal I'd say. Surely the definition of GTS is to Tour, and get some miles on it.

Actually I just had to double check the definition of GTS, and Google says "Go To Sleep" ...which is probably more apt for what happens with some of these cars! (though I can't really talk!) 

Guys – any watch outs when buying privately? What should I check? Think I'll def do a PPI whatever I buy but what about tyres? If not Porsche approved tyres fitted would that be a red flag? The one I'm looking at has had a new clutch, discs and brake lines but nothing else by the looks of it. Advice appreciated.

Matt