Hunting for my first Porsche: A Cayman 987.2

4 hours ago, Andyoz said:

Well the Dealer definitely earns the "s**t photos of the Year" award right there.

LOL

I cant work out if it is the same white one as the 6foot 6 dilemma one?

Its got Spyder wheels, Xenons and most importantly a rear wiper ;) 

...it does look good spec. @ Stumac, this could be the one!

1 hour ago, Julian987 said:

LOL

I cant work out if it is the same white one as the 6foot 6 dilemma one?

Its got Spyder wheels, Xenons and most importantly a rear wiper ;) 

...it does look good spec. @ Stumac, this could be the one!

Description says "19-inch SportDesign Black Alloy Wheels"

If the photos weren't so crap we'd be able to tell...and those lads are meant to be the pro's at selling cars... 

Re the white Cayman at Cotswold Porsche.

Lee Jones is a real enthusiast, great to deal with. They are only a small outfit, primarily service, but they do sell cars.

So you can rest assured it would be checked thoroughly and a good clean example.

They usually have their stock pro detailed by a local guy and ceramic coated, so they look great.

I had my 2.9 serviced by them twice, was very reasonable.

M5 junction 9 Tewkesbury, about 15 mins past the OPC ironically!

Inbound
https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11738865

a very reputable dealer I believe. It’s black but the spec and mileage seems very good. Basalt Black so more sparkly, so even though you say no black, I wouldn’t rule it out as that dealer rarely gets Caymans in and when they do they always seem to be good ones.

The white one at Cotswold Porsche is a 2011 with 33k miles for £2k less.

Is this one at 911virgin worth £2k more for a 2010, or is that just London pricing?

Hi chaps. Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to try and go see the one at Cotswolds Porsche on Saturday morning.

The black one does have a really good spec though.

On 25/05/2021 at 22:33, Stumac62 said:

Hi Matt. Yes I've seen those but I get jittery about the higher mileage cars, although I know low mileage doesn't guarantee anything either.

I'd like a PDK but it's not a deal breaker as they say.

So have you paid a deposit on it? It's still advertised isnt it, or am I looking at the wrong one?

Cheers,

Stu.

Just as a counter point to higher mileage porkers - a friend of mine bought a 147k miles 2001 boxster last year (I viewed it, ‘inspected it’, and drove it home on his behalf from near reading - he lives in ayr) and it has not put a foot wrong in the past year. 

that includes a highly spirited north west highlands costal road trip we did together last September. He paid ~£3k for it and spent a further ~£800 renewing all pads & discs, machine polish & ceramic coat and every time I see his car I have a pang of envy that he found such a great car for so little money. The car had been 1 owner for the previous 17 years with a fully receipted service history. 

IMO if porkers are loved and looked after by their owners they will last for >150k miles (pending to be expected renewals - eg brakes, clutches, shocks, bushes). 

• Like 1

^^^ Yeah, 9 out of 10 Porsche buyers seem to ignore cars with over a 90k miles. If you get one that's had alot of things refreshed you can get a bargain. Alot of sellers actually get sick of doing the refreshing and sell the car off when they are nearly finished (i.e. at just the wrong time)

• Like 1

Thanks Windy / Andy - all very good points. I will bear that in mind. I've had a 60k miles 'tipping point' for no logical reason really, although that's always been for standard family cars not Porsches. This will be my first.

26 minutes ago, Stumac62 said:

Thanks Windy / Andy - all very good points. I will bear that in mind. I've had a 60k miles 'tipping point' for no logical reason really, although that's always been for standard family cars not Porsches. This will be my first.

60k miles is an interesting one. I have to admit I was the same when buying my first. On Porkers, it's actually exactly the sort of mileage where tired suspension tends to show itself, other things too like clutch.

I bought my R at 53k miles knowing this and sure enough at 57k miles a few things need doing. Thing is, I didn't overpay for it and knew it was coming - I wanted to do it myself and have full control over what was used and how it was installed. So the difference between a 50k car and 70k car could be £4 to 5k in suspension and clutch work. Good ones to look out for are say 70-80k miles with full front end suspension refresh and new clutch/flywheel, coolant pipes. At least you know what might be left for you to, I've rear suspension.

An extra 20k miles should essentially make no difference with these gen 2 engine's as long as oil changes have been done regularly (in fact I bet the engine runs better than these low milers you see about)

16 hours ago, GlosRich said:

The white one at Cotswold Porsche is a 2011 with 33k miles for £2k less.

Is this one at 911virgin worth £2k more for a 2010, or is that just London pricing?

this one, pics now update on the advert

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11738865

2 hours ago, Masher said:

Cayman R for £33k? No stated mileage (which I never like), seats, wheels... but cheap. 

https://www.strasse.co.uk/cars.asp?car_id=497&page=1

That has been on for at least a month, maybe two now. Something about it is obviously not appealing to people. The silver aero trim at the front looks most odd. 
it’s mileage is 46k, you’ll find it on AutoTrader with more info

Edited by Julian987

18 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

contrasting aero kit looks a bit umm...funky 🧐🤔

Cheap though! 

But readily changeable - reasonably easy to remove both elements (spoiler and splitter) to repaint black. 👍🏻

Evening all,

I’ve been away with work so haven’t had a chance to reply! Things are progressing with the 3.4 S in Meteor Grey nicely. Got a PPI booked in week after next, they are crazy busy. 

In the interim, I’ve found another private sale not listed in an almost identical spec but with some differences:

80k vs 60k miles

2012 vs 2009

Full service history vs one missing stamp and a three year gap

Sports seats vs xenons

LSD vs PASM

Michelin PS4s vs Contisports

Both 19” wheels

The seller is also not that forthcoming with paperwork though promises to have it and willing to chat over phone. Comms have been slow though so seems a bit off, could be me.

Most of everything else is the same though, inc price at £22k. Which would you choose?! 

Sticking to my guns at the mo but really tempted by the xenons and PASM. Worth it though?? Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Matt

16 minutes ago, Matt_Chaps said:

Evening all,

I’ve been away with work so haven’t had a chance to reply! Things are progressing with the 3.4 S in Meteor Grey nicely. Got a PPI booked in week after next, they are crazy busy. 

In the interim, I’ve found another private sale not listed in an almost identical spec but with some differences:

80k vs 60k miles

2012 vs 2009

Full service history vs one missing stamp and a three year gap

Sports seats vs xenons

LSD vs PASM

Michelin PS4s vs Contisports

Both 19” wheels

The seller is also not that forthcoming with paperwork though promises to have it and willing to chat over phone. Comms have been slow though so seems a bit off, could be me.

Most of everything else is the same though, inc price at £22k. Which would you choose?! 

Sticking to my guns at the mo but really tempted by the xenons and PASM. Worth it though?? Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Matt

Is the interior the same spec? the 2012 has the rare extended leather doors/dash etc. does the 2009? not that it is the be all and end all, but it is something. Same level of PCM? 

Will it be a keeper? if not then 80K could soon become 100K and when you sell it on that mileage could become a sticking point to a sale....but then again it is priced low 20s so its probably fairly priced. 

Are you likely to drive much at night? I've used my lights once on my R. 

There is a thread I quizzed on tyres lower down the forum the other day, and forum members rave on the PS4s.