Are my Tyres doing my R justice

So I am right yep that these PS4S's are not N rated? Just that I am looking online to no avail for PS4S N rated tyres.

and I assume then n rated is not the be-all-and-end-all (unless one is sticking with the criteria to abide by Porsche Warranty , which I am not)

54 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Ahhh I spoke to Bridgestone and they told me they only had a 45 profile. Had I known that they were lying, I would definitely have given these a go

🤦‍♂️ Madness, customer service literally doing themselves out of a sale. 

Edited by wtaite01

2 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

🤦‍♂️ Madness, customer service literally doing themselves out of a sale. 

In fairness they don't list the 45 on their website either (I've just taken a look) so the person I spoke to was probably just looking at that

• Like 1

Interesting re the Bridgestones. I have run them in the past on other cars, always seemed overly noisy to me.

Until they have tempted a few credible users to report, I'll be sticking (see what I did there?) to the Michelins. Too much money to spend on acting as a guinea pig/ market researcher...

Edited by andygo

4 hours ago, Julian987 said:

So I am right yep that these PS4S's are not N rated? Just that I am looking online to no avail for PS4S N rated tyres.

and I assume then n rated is not the be-all-and-end-all (unless one is sticking with the criteria to abide by Porsche Warranty , which I am not)

The N rated thing is, I believe, er, over rated. Unless you are regularly hitting 140mph + I defy anyone else to spot any difference in practical terms. I'd rather have a good non N rated tyre than an average N rated version. I'm looking at you Mr Pirelli. You never seem to get a look in on tyre reviews. Even the F1 chaps don't like them very much.

• Thanks 1

I went from 10+ year old design N-rated GY Eagle F1 to non N-rated ~3 year old design MPS4S and the improvement was immediately noticeable. 

whilst there probably is a a whole lotta design and materials technology that presumably goes into N-rating a tyre type (for new to market porkers) (eg if I was buying a brand new GT3/GT4 etc I’d want the latest N-rated tyre on it), when it comes to putting new tyres on a ~10+ year old car I believe replacing surpassed tyre design and materials technology with something newer is a prudent approach to take. 

just stick to the principle with tyres of you get what you pay for and the more expensive is generally the better. 

several folks have also used and highly rate the GY Supersport as a MPS4S alternative. The GYSS range came out about 2 years ago to clearly directly compete with MPS4S and the MP Cup 2 etc. 

The GYSS and MPS4S seem to be similarly priced, so it’s a case of look for the best deal that you can. 

Michelin seem to currently have a money back offer - eg I bought 2 MPS4S recently and got a £40 refund voucher from the tyre fitter that I submitted online on Michelin’s website. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windymiller said:

I went from 10+ year old design N-rated GY Eagle F1 to non N-rated ~3 year old design MPS4S and the improvement was immediately noticeable. 

whilst there probably is a a whole lotta design and materials technology that presumably goes into N-rating a tyre type (for new to market porkers) (eg if I was buying a brand new GT3/GT4 etc I’d want the latest N-rated tyre on it), when it comes to putting new tyres on a ~10+ year old car I believe replacing surpassed tyre design and materials technology with something newer is a prudent approach to take. 

just stick to the principle with tyres of you get what you pay for and the more expensive is generally the better. 

several folks have also used and highly rate the GY Supersport as a MPS4S alternative. The GYSS range came out about 2 years ago to clearly directly compete with MPS4S and the MP Cup 2 etc. 

The GYSS and MPS4S seem to be similarly priced, so it’s a case of look for the best deal that you can. 

Michelin seem to currently have a money back offer - eg I bought 2 MPS4S recently and got a £40 refund voucher from the tyre fitter that I submitted online on Michelin’s website. 

Isn't that Michelein deal only from a few nominated tyre shops though?

On 22/05/2021 at 09:27, andygo said:

Isn't that Michelein deal only from a few nominated tyre shops though?

I don’t know, perhaps it is 🤷‍♂️

Use a tyre shop that’s offering the deal then I guess 🤔👍🏻

3 hours ago, Windymiller said:

I don’t know, perhaps it is 🤷‍♂️

Use a tyre shop that’s offering the deal then I guess 🤔👍🏻

Bit late now! bought them a few weeks ago.

7 minutes ago, andygo said:

Bit late now! bought them a few weeks ago.

You can claim £100 retrospectively here I believe..

https://car-offers.michelin.co.uk/uk/spring-2021

.... the drop down shows all the retailers that participate, so if where you went to are in the list, you have saved £100

Edited by Julian987

1 hour ago, Julian987 said:

You can claim £100 retrospectively here I believe..

https://car-offers.michelin.co.uk/uk/spring-2021

.... the drop down shows all the retailers that participate, so if where you went to are in the list, you have saved £100

Yas, looked at that list. File me under the 'loser' pile...

• 2 months later...

Now had a full set of PS4S’s fitted and wow what a difference! Perhaps more noticeable for me as my old tyres were 6-7 years old and really cracked and worn. When I first got the R I commented on how hard the ride is and unless I am imagining things but these new tires just take the edge off, which I prefer and is probably more like how it should be.

thank you for everyone’s support and advice. Best regards 

Good choice @Julian987! I still have 5-6 yr old Pilot SuperSports on mine which still have plenty of tread, but will be changing to 4S' when the time comes. I had just replaced a set of 4S' on my Golf R before trading it in for the CR, and was amazed by the improvement in ride and road noise compared to the worn set. Superb tyre in my experience!

• Like 1

Do you find in the UK, considering we don't get Artic conditions, well occasionally, do you find the 4S's can stay on throughout the year, for the most part. Or do you only use them in summer months? and if you swop them over what do you recommend for the R? 

I ask as looking at the temperature stats for the 4S's it seems to be around 30F, which is 0 c. Of course if it was snowing or sheet ice over the road, I'd probably not drive anyway, but keen to get your thoughts as from research it seems the temperature thresholds would, being a global tyre, be more concerning for other countries than the UK.

best regards

Julian

Slightly off topic, but on a few fast drives in my R over the hot spell I found my rear stepping out more than usual.  I did enjoy it but was confused as tyres aren't worn (only running lowly PS2's fitted by previous owner and will switch to PS4S).

On my last run in hot weather a week ago, I dropped the pressures all round down by 1-2psi before setting off and it certainly fixed things.  The pressure in the tyres had been getting too high on fast B-road runs with the excess heat.

Edited by Andyoz

23 hours ago, Andyoz said:

Slightly off topic, but on a few fast drives in my R over the hot spell I found my rear stepping out more than usual.  I did enjoy it but was confused as tyres aren't worn (only running lowly PS2's fitted by previous owner and will switch to PS4S).

On my last run in hot weather a week ago, I dropped the pressures all round down by 1-2psi before setting off and it certainly fixed things.  The pressure in the tyres had been getting too high on fast B-road runs with the excess heat.

I experienced this at Donnington earlier this week.  The sun came out after it was damp and my rear grip started to fade as the temps increased.  Dropping the tyre pressures sorted it out nicely.

16 hours ago, Aaron said:

I experienced this at Donnington earlier this week.  The sun came out after it was damp and my rear grip started to fade as the temps increased.  Dropping the tyre pressures sorted it out nicely.

Yes, I was pretty shocked how much of an effect even dropping mine 1.5psi. It was literally a new car when we were pushing hard on B roads. As well as the ambient temp increase and the normal brake disc heat conduction into hub/rims, in the Cayman we've also got the exhaust running through the rear wheel arch and the residual engine block heat too...