Clear Engine Covers

SJC

What's people's views on this? I keep thinking about them, then going off the idea and then wondering if it's not such a bad idea again...

I've never even seen my engine come to think 

Have a look at your engine first, without some time and effort spent cleaning, painting etc they are not worth showing off to the world IMO.  

I assume things get much noisier with these clear covers.  

The idea is interesting and if the engine's clean then I think it could look quite special. 2 probs for me are, as stated, the noise and the other is the expense. The covers on the market are not cheap!

What do you expect?! Never done it myself but can imagine it's not pleasant.  

Where does one buy these clear engine covers anyway, I've not seen them? 

*googles clear Cayman engine cover*

hmm...O.o

• Like 1

They are quite expensive, I didn't want to spend that much money to find out that the noise is way too much to live with.  Hmm...what to do! 

Ha! Froot is a good phrase! 

I think ill leave the clear cover until I can see another in the flesh and see (and hear) it before buying 

If it were a tarted up V8 or V12 which had been made for show I guess it would already have a clear cover.

As the intention was to hide ours, maybe it's best kept hidden or those looking in will be disappointed?

Actually, these are much thicker than 1/4in more in the range of 1"+ to get the strength and rigidity but get onto Planet 9 and do a search for engine covers, there were photos and it became quite popular in the States. But the one they had on their forum fitted to the engine aperture whereas the one in the photo fitted to the trim and had a space between that and the aperture.

• 2 weeks later...

I was right on the verge of buying one. Then I had a rethink about the amount of crap that gets thrown up from the road (I live in Canada) and the amount of noise (I've already removed two cat converters and installed Fabspeed exhaust). The look is very cool but I think the reality might be a very different story!

On 1 December 2015 at 17:57:07, DJMC said:

More fun to leave the car with the boot and froot (my UK version of "frunk") open and watch passers by guess?

I like that. Froot lol. I always refer to it as the frunk but that is an Americanism. 

41 minutes ago, markbarry1977 said:

I like that. Froot lol. I always refer to it as the frunk but that is an Americanism. 

And if it's an old car, you could call it the "old froot" which sounds VERY British indeed... what?