Looking to buy first Porsche 987.1 or 987.2 or S

10 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

Hahaha, yes, had forgotten that mid life crisis was the goal, you'll probably be wanting a guards red or speed yellow one! 

Must admit the mid life crisis comment wasn’t serious, I’m not into OTT colours but the red does look stunning.

35 minutes ago, futureechos said:

Must admit the mid life crisis comment wasn’t serious, I’m not into OTT colours but the red does look stunning.

Hahaha, yes it seems we're reading into a bit too much into an off-hand comment! 

The colour choice is, of course, entirely subjective. I really like the 'Aqua Blue Metallic' that mine is in, but it it eye catching and does get some attention and looks, this for me is not a good thing, but others may want that! It's probably a good middle ground between the silvers and the more 'in your face' colours though. 

You might want to check out 'Meteor Grey' if you're after a subtle shade, personally I prefer this to the silvers.

11 minutes ago, wtaite01 said:

Hahaha, yes it seems we're reading into a bit too much into an off-hand comment! 

The colour choice is, of course, entirely subjective. I really like the 'Aqua Blue Metallic' that mine is in, but it it eye catching and does get some attention and looks, this for me is not a good thing, but others may want that! It's probably a good middle ground between the silvers and the more 'in your face' colours though. 

You might want to check out 'Meteor Grey' if you're after a subtle shade, personally I prefer this to the silvers.

I usually really only like black but with the Cayman the meteor grey is coming up favorite, but the blue is really nice too. It's the mad neon's that are a bit too showy for me. 

Never owned a white car.. i expect like black it does show the dirt quite a lot.

12 hours ago, Julian987 said:

I am struggling to see what is wrong with the red one. Ok, it is a few £K over budget but worth a negotiation. Here to help the original poster but I thought the red one was 'case closed'. 

Interesting - would you expect to knock £2K off from £24K?  I need to work on my negotiation skills...

I guess you snooze you lose - it's been reserved.

Edited by futureechos

58 minutes ago, Davey P said:

My negotiating skills are terrible, and always have been.  I managed to get a lousy £250 knocked off the screen price of my £28495 Cayman from RPM Technik - The salesman probably saw in my eyes that I was definitely going to buy it, regardless of the deal he came up with! xD

Mine could also probably be described as a "poverty spec" model (which I prefer to call "driver focussed"), so no Bluetooth or sat nav, no electric adjustment on seats, no extended leather, no cruise control... blah, blah... On the plus side, I don't care, because it looks like this:

20210701_154402

Best car I have ever owned, by a very large margin.

Good luck with your search mate :91_thumbsup:

'Driver Focused' feature set.  Love that. 

That is a beautiful example.  

Edited by futureechos
  • Like 1

To quote 'Max Revs' from YouTube, "the best cayman is the one you can afford", and it's wise to include the maintenance costs in the definition of "the one you can afford"! 

On colours, white can be nice too, particularly if you add the black 'Porsche' side stripes 😊

• Like 1

I cant work out if this is a good price or not considering the mileage, but it could be worth considering, factoring in the original posters budget - perhaps best of the Gen 1 might be a better option.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107205257483?

13 hours ago, futureechos said:

I guess you snooze you lose - it's been reserved.

Goes to show it was deemed special when its, kind of, sold a day later. I predict that Silver one will still be for sale by end of year. 

I would go for this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107205257483? and if well maintained then the mileage shouldn't be a turn off. One lady owner, looks immaculate, spec is outstanding, in your price range, best colour (I am biased!) ... whats not to like! (well maybe the shifter knob is a bit odd, but strike a deal on the cost to return that to the factory knob/boot one) ... thats the one! trust me 😄

If you don't know the Gen 1 Sport is a limited edition, you'll spy the badge above the glovebox.  

Edited by Julian987
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Goes to show it was deemed special when its, kind of, sold a day later. I predict that Silver one will still be for sale by end of year. 

I would go for this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107205257483? and if well maintained then the mileage shouldn't be a turn off. One lady owner, looks immaculate, spec is outstanding, in your price range, best colour (I am biased!) ... whats not to like! (well maybe the shifter knob is a bit odd, but strike a deal on the cost to return that to the factory knob/boot one) ... thats the one! trust me 😄

If you don't know the Gen 1 Sport is a limited edition, you'll spy the badge above the glovebox.  

I hadn't realised the 2009 3.4's were Gen 1 - I assumed all 2009 were Gen 2..

Learning lots here.. 

I'll be honest the mileage puts me off..  and I know it shouldn't.. but it does.

(and the material on the steering wheel looks like sponge - prob just the pics though).

23 minutes ago, futureechos said:

I'll be honest the mileage puts me off..  and I know it shouldn't.. but it does.

If the history was good enough, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but it would definitely need to be accounted for in the price, which I don't believe is the case here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windymiller said:

The S also has a thicker rear ARB I think, and the brake discs are thicker too. 

so, slightly less roll in corners and slightly ‘meatier’ brakes. But then the non-S would be slightly lighter so a ‘6 and two 3s’.

but whether any of that would really be noticeable on normal roads…. 🤷‍♂️

i tired non-S and S, PDK (buttons) and manual. I’m glad I went S and manual. 

that said, if/when I change I’d probably go PDK (paddles) for convenience on real roads and quicker on track. But that’s more an age thing as my right hip becomes increasingly less mobile which makes heel & toe more challenging. 🙄

good luck with your search. 👍🏻

Thanks Windymiller, the different ARB is news to me, I thought just the 'R' was different or is that the same ARB as the 'S'? I did know about the difference in rear brake thickness (I'm looking into replacing mine at the moment).

Interestingly the 981 and 718 base and 'S' models all use the same 20mm thick rear rear that the 987 base models use vs the 24mm one on the 987 'S'. The 981 and 718 also have a slightly larger front disc than the 987 though at 330mm vs 318mm.

Has got me wondering about what I might need to change to run 330mm discs up front as a track upgrade for the 987...

1 hour ago, futureechos said:

I hadn't realised the 2009 3.4's were Gen 1 - I assumed all 2009 were Gen 2..

Learning lots here.. 

(and the material on the steering wheel looks like sponge - prob just the pics though).

I believe it can vary, I know that some early Gen 2s can be on '58' plates. I don't know if the 3.4 and 2.9 were released at the same time for the Gen 2. For Gen 1 the 3.4 was released first and then the 2.7 a little later (I think!).

I tend to just put '2009 onwards' in the search criteria and then look for the cues:

1. Rear lights are a different shape and the clear lens is at the bottom on the Gen 2 vs at the top in the Gen 1. Modded lights can cause confusion here though so also check:

2. Interior centre console is silver on the Gen 1, black on the Gen 2. I haven't seen any mods that could cause confusion here and I also don't think there are any 'Gen 1.5' 987 cars like I have seen on a very small number of 997s - M97 engine from the Gen 1 but with the black interior centre console from the Gen 2.

3. Headlights are different, but this is more subtle. Gen 2 has a more distinct '2 lamp' design than the Gen 1, but this isn't always that obvious unless you have trained your eye haha. Front fogs are different too with the lamps further outboard on the Gen 2 to make room for the small LED DRLs that the Gen 1 does without.

• Thanks 1

Apart from the fact it could do with a polish (joking) is that a Sport rear spolier? I haven't seen one before>

2 hours ago, andygo said:

Apart from the fact it could do with a polish (joking) is that a Sport rear spolier? I haven't seen one before>

Pretty sure that's aftermarket, happy to be corrected though. 

6 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

I believe it can vary, I know that some early Gen 2s can be on '58' plates. I don't know if the 3.4 and 2.9 were released at the same time for the Gen 2. For Gen 1 the 3.4 was released first and then the 2.7 a little later (I think!).

I tend to just put '2009 onwards' in the search criteria and then look for the cues:

1. Rear lights are a different shape and the clear lens is at the bottom on the Gen 2 vs at the top in the Gen 1. Modded lights can cause confusion here though so also check:

2. Interior centre console is silver on the Gen 1, black on the Gen 2. I haven't seen any mods that could cause confusion here and I also don't think there are any 'Gen 1.5' 987 cars like I have seen on a very small number of 997s - M97 engine from the Gen 1 but with the black interior centre console from the Gen 2.

3. Headlights are different, but this is more subtle. Gen 2 has a more distinct '2 lamp' design than the Gen 1, but this isn't always that obvious unless you have trained your eye haha. Front fogs are different too with the lamps further outboard on the Gen 2 to make room for the small LED DRLs that the Gen 1 does without.

Knew I was in the right place for this level of detail - much appreciated.

10 hours ago, andygo said:

LOL. yep i noticed that, it is so shiny isnt it