Looking to buy first Porsche 987.1 or 987.2 or S

25 minutes ago, futureechos said:

Good question.

FSH, (Colour, the alloys, overall looks)/Price.

Lower mileage a plus, extended leather a plus (not essential).

Chrono / SatNav are a bonus but not essential..  would like heated seats but not a deal breaker.

PASM is not essential.

So I guess I'm not overly fussy on spec more reliability, FSH, service history details.

What do you think this is missing - what would be essential for you?

Thanks for your reply.

that one doesn't have Extended leather, so I'll assume thats more of a wish for, rather than what caught your eye.

Colour obviously subjective and I do like the greys and silvers, but that one having a grey interior just feels drab to me, but thats me!

Ok, so all things considered, and as bizarre as this may seem, I would consider this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106123764385?

but! get them to include in the costs the removal of the wrap and a good detail - chances are the wrap has protected the paint to become flawless. 

Imagine that white, see beyond the green. White is a great colour for the Cayman shape when the wheels and side vents are in black. The £18,813 worth of extra options is amazing value....but nobody can get past the green, but it can easily be got past. its even got the Spyder wheels.

I repeat, see beyond the green :) 

Turn it back to white

+

keep the side vents in black

+

a good detail

= a great car for the money, would look amazing, especially with those alloys (those alone are a £4K option) and overnight it will be worth much more than you paid for it once its back to its former glory.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

Thanks for your reply.

that one doesn't have Extended leather, so I'll assume thats more of a wish for, rather than what caught your eye.

Colour obviously subjective and I do like the greys and silvers, but that one having a grey interior just feels drab to me, but thats me!

Ok, so all things considered, and as bizarre as this may seem, I would consider this

but! get them to include in the costs the removal of the wrap and a good detail - chances are the wrap has protected the paint to become flawless. 

Imagine that white, see beyond the green. White is a great colour for the Cayman shape when the wheels and side vents are in black. The £18,813 worth of extra options is amazing value....but nobody can get past the green, but it can easily be got past. its even got the Spyder wheels.

I repeat, see beyond the green :) 

Turn it back to white

+

keep the side vents in black

+

a good detail

= a great car for the money, would look amazing, especially with those alloys (those alone are a £4K option) and overnight it will be worth much more than you paid for it once its back to its former glory.

I've been researching how to remove wraps as I had the same thought..  the green.. jesus...

I agree white looks really nice too.

That one has been up for sale for a while... (must see past the green, must see past the green!)

17 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

I always thought that one looked decent but never really looked into wrap removal. Worth checking the history in case that had been holding it back too. I'd negotiate first and then being wrap removal into play when they counter offer :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, futureechos said:

I've been researching how to remove wraps as I had the same thought..  the green.. jesus...

I agree white looks really nice too.

That one has been up for sale for a while... (must see past the green, must see past the green!)

yep, underneath that wrap is a hell of a Cayman. I would take the sly advantage of what others probably haven't done which is seeing past the wrap.

At that budget, considering the spec, its a great option. 

51 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

yep, underneath that wrap is a hell of a Cayman. I would take the sly advantage of what others probably haven't done which is seeing past the wrap.

At that budget, considering the spec, its a great option. 

Wasn't that one originally up for £24999?

No ones mentioned the Aero pack on that one either (I think)....that and the Spyder wheel are worth alot.  The seats are a nice touch too.

Get a set of red seat belts to liven things up (no expensive if you know where to look)

Needs lowered 20-25mm..suspension may be due some early refresh anyway so could be sorted.  Shame about the rear wiper..

Edited by Andyoz

19 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

No ones mentioned the Aero pack on that one either (I think)....that and the Spyder wheel are worth alot.  The seats are a nice touch too.

Get a set of red seat belts to liven things up (no expensive if you know where to look)

Needs lowered 20-25mm..suspension may be due some early refresh anyway so could be sorted.  Shame about the rear wiper..

Oh yes I notice that Aero pack now. Wow, that is a hell of an option.

That official Aero R spoiler is £3k, unpainted.

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/parts-porsche-cayman-987c-2-2011-eu-cayman-2-9-manual-gearbox-6-speed/bodywork-271/rear-bonnet-559/98751299201-p131887-rear-spoiler-752-5180-131887

I tell ya, that is one hell of a deal waiting to be had. If I was user Futureechos I would just go for it first thing and put a deposit down straight away..... worry about wrap removal logistics after reserving it. £18ks worth of factory options !! ... and whilst options don't hold there value pound-for-pound when it comes to the used market,  that is more in options than some whole Caymans go for!

It's got the black wing mirrors...maybe they came like that factory like the interior trim... probably? Important for the look on a white 987 along with the black side vents.

Spyder wheels are actually painted properly. They need close up photo of that as well as calipers. They might be a bit rough.

get them to send photo of service book with all the factory option codes it came with...I'd say there's alot of codes.

I'd still talk them down as they're nuts leaving that wrap on so they deserve to be low balled...

Only negative is rear wiper...

Edited by Andyoz

54 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

Only negative is rear wiper...

🤔 we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. To me, a Porsche without a rear wiper is not a Porsche. I'm sure that will make your eyes roll ! 😄

• Like 1

Wrap removal all comes down to the quality of the wrap.  If the adhesive is too strong, it can remove the clear coat which will ultimately result in a respray of whatever panel falls victim.  The second issue is always what is the wrap hiding...

You only need a heat gun and a lot of patience to remove it.  If it's a high quality wrap, it will be a doddle.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Wrap removal all comes down to the quality of the wrap.  If the adhesive is too strong, it can remove the clear coat which will ultimately result in a respray of whatever panel falls victim.  The second issue is always what is the wrap hiding...

You only need a heat gun and a lot of patience to remove it.  If it's a high quality wrap, it will be a doddle.

very true yet for a car of that quality of spec I doubt they scrimped on the wrap. But sound advice indeed

16 hours ago, Julian987 said:

...If I was user Futureechos I would just go for it first thing and put a deposit down straight away..... worry about wrap removal logistics after reserving it. £18ks worth of factory options !! ... and whilst options don't hold there value pound-for-pound when it comes to the used market,  that is more in options than some whole Caymans go for!

Assume I have a hard limit of £25K - if the wrap is not good and it needs paint work...  cant take that risk.  😞. I don't think.. 

I'm currently not super fussed about the extras but seems to be a common theme that generally people here see them as important.. and are happy to wait months in order to the right one to come up. I expect I may feel that way after owned one for a bit.. :35_thinking:

Right now, having never owned one the important things are:

Reliability - no unexpected costs post purchase.   a PPI should help with this.

Nice to have: Heated Seats, SatNav, PCM, climate control, leather interior additional.

This is a big purchase for me so you may have to excuse some excessive faffing..

Found the MOT history:

Corroded pipes advisory from 2017-2019...  perhaps not maintained as well as it could be..?

Date tested27 August 2021  PASS Mileage49,669 miles

Date tested10 September 2020 PASS Mileage49,278 miles

Date tested10 September 2020  FAIL  Mileage49,278 miles

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

• Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm Both (5.2.3 (e))

Date tested25 October 2019 PASS Mileage48,942 miles

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Offside Rear Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))
  • Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Nearside Rear Lower Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Rear Lower Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension rod pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • What are advisories?

Date tested24 October 2019  FAIL Mileage48,942 miles

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Front Headlamp aim too high (4.1.2 (a))
  • Offside Front Headlamp aim too high (4.1.2 (a))

• Offside Rear Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Lower Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Offside Rear Lower Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension rod pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Date tested6 November 2018 PASS View  Mileage39,429 miles

Date tested6 November 2018 FAIL Mileage39,429 miles

• Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Offside Front Headlamp not working on dipped beam (4.1.1 (a) (ii))

Date tested12 October 2017 PASS Mileage33,658 miles

• Advisory notice item(s)
  • Nearside Rear Outer Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Offside Rear Outer Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Nearside Rear Inner Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Offside Rear Inner Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Nearside Brake pipe slightly corroded front to rear (3.6.B.2c)
  • Offside Brake pipe slightly corroded front to rear (3.6.B.2c)

Date tested12 October 2017 FAIL  Mileage33,658 miles

Reason(s) for failure

• Offside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)
  • Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

Advisory notice item(s)

Date tested30 August 2016 PASS Mileage24,795 miles

Advisory notice item(s)

• Offside Front Nail in tyre ()

Date tested17 July 2015 PASS Mileage15,118 miles

Date tested31 October 2014  PASS Mileage11,833 miles

Advisory notice item(s)

• Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

Edited by futureechos

1 hour ago, futureechos said:

Assume I have a hard limit of £25K - if the wrap is not good and it needs paint work...  cant take that risk.  😞. I don't think.. 

I'm currently not super fussed about the extras but seems to be a common theme that generally people here see them as important.. and are happy to wait months in order to the right one to come up. I expect I may feel that way after owned one for a bit.. :35_thinking:

Right now, having never owned one the important things are:

Reliability - no unexpected costs post purchase.   a PPI should help with this.

Nice to have: Heated Seats, SatNav, PCM, climate control, leather interior additional.

This is a big purchase for me so you may have to excuse some excessive faffing..

Found the MOT history:

Corroded pipes advisory from 2017-2019...  perhaps not maintained as well as it could be..?

Date tested27 August 2021  PASS Mileage49,669 miles

Date tested10 September 2020 PASS Mileage49,278 miles

Date tested10 September 2020  FAIL  Mileage49,278 miles

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

• Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm Both (5.2.3 (e))

Date tested25 October 2019 PASS Mileage48,942 miles

• What are advisories?

Date tested24 October 2019  FAIL Mileage48,942 miles

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Front Headlamp aim too high (4.1.2 (a))
  • Offside Front Headlamp aim too high (4.1.2 (a))

Date tested6 November 2018 PASS View  Mileage39,429 miles

Date tested6 November 2018 FAIL Mileage39,429 miles

• Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Offside Front Headlamp not working on dipped beam (4.1.1 (a) (ii))

Date tested12 October 2017 PASS Mileage33,658 miles

• Advisory notice item(s)

Date tested12 October 2017 FAIL  Mileage33,658 miles

Reason(s) for failure

• Offside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)
  • Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

Advisory notice item(s)

Date tested30 August 2016 PASS Mileage24,795 miles

Advisory notice item(s)

• Offside Front Nail in tyre ()

Date tested17 July 2015 PASS Mileage15,118 miles

Date tested31 October 2014  PASS Mileage11,833 miles

Advisory notice item(s)

• Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

Ewwww.... I wonder if it went to a different test centre to get over the corrosion issues. The pipes to the rear require the engine to be dropped so it's quite labour intensive. It doesn't have that loving feeling.

yep its passed since right? so perhaps unloved in the past, now resolved, and you will love it, so see it like an abandoned puppy, just needs a good new home. all that preceding stuff strikes me as nit picking or easily resolved items, which must have been resolved.

The past two MOTs have been good, so I would check that indeed the actions from 2019 have been addressed and then I see no cause for concern....but that is easy for me to say as its not my money....but on balance, if the past issues are resolved then is it that big of a deal?

19 hours ago, Julian987 said:

yep its passed since right? so perhaps unloved in the past, now resolved, and you will love it, so see it like an abandoned puppy, just needs a good new home. all that preceding stuff strikes me as nit picking or easily resolved items, which must have been resolved.

The past two MOTs have been good, so I would check that indeed the actions from 2019 have been addressed and then I see no cause for concern....but that is easy for me to say as its not my money....but on balance, if the past issues are resolved then is it that big of a deal?

I think it just smacks of not giving it the love in one area means it might indicate a lack of care in others..  (assumption completely.)

And corrosion at 33K, 6 years in? is this a sign of a hard life, or harshes weather, salt on road from more northern regions?

On 07/09/2021 at 11:06, futureechos said:

Good question.

FSH, (Colour, the alloys, overall looks)/Price.

Lower mileage a plus, extended leather a plus (not essential).

Chrono / SatNav are a bonus but not essential..  would like heated seats but not a deal breaker.

PASM is not essential.

So I guess I'm not overly fussy on spec more reliability, FSH, service history details.

What do you think this is missing - what would be essential for you?

Unsure if it was PDK or manual you are after but this one presents nice and has heated seats. Great service history, and seemingly a mint interior and exterior.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/12230815

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Unsure if it was PDK or manual you are after but this one presents nice and has heated seats. Great service history, and seemingly a mint interior and exterior.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/12230815

Thanks - That looks close to perfect for me also saw that on Autotrader, there's also a good one at DoveHouse:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109087142550?advertising-location=at_cars&radius=200&include-delivery-option=on&year-to=2013&postcode=da74tu&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&model=CAYMAN&make=PORSCHE&sort=datedesc&year-from=2009&maximum-mileage=80000&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&ulez-compliant=on&price-to=27500&page=1

In typical timing I found out yesterday that 2 large bills will be incoming shortly so the purchase will be held up for a couple of months...

:39_angry:. I knew they were coming but was not expecting both at same time.. FFS..  

• 2 weeks later...
Beanoir™
This post was recognized by Beanoir™!

Andyoz was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 100 points.

Not sure who was looking at 987.2 but if you like black this base model Cayman was just listed for £19k with some solid work done.  You'll have to join FB group to view link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/351201258590173/permalink/1507937992916488/?sale_post_id=1507937992916488

tEE5stZ.jpg

Edited by Andyoz

On 21/09/2021 at 09:30, Andyoz said:

Not sure who was looking at 987.2 but if you like black this base model Cayman was just listed for £19k with some solid work done.  You'll have to join FB group to view link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/351201258590173/permalink/1507937992916488/?sale_post_id=1507937992916488

tEE5stZ.jpg

Thanks - Request to join that FB group.

• 1 month later...