Thoughts: 987s Design edition or 987.2s

Shuey Chow

1 hour ago, Shuey Chow said:

Yeh I could do with a rear hatch, but to be honest for a cayman R, these sacrifices have to be made.

What’s a reasonable price for a low mileage (20-40k miler) Cayman R Manual?

Is £30k just way below value? Or if I wait would there be something that potentially comes up?

Any manual cayman R owners - would you ever sell? And if so what would be the asking price?

I'm no R expert but I'd say that you'd be looking at £45k

On 14/09/2021 at 22:47, Shuey Chow said:

Sorry is there an R selling for 30k? Where’s that?

thanks for the comments. Yeh i was kinda in the mindset of avoiding gen 1 completely anyway. But the DE was quite appealing.

anyway I’m not sure now, had another look at a cayman s, and not too sure if it’ll fit my needs from a rear hatch space perspective (occasional small dog for road trips).

however cayman r - if one of them became available at sub 30k… I would potentially jump on it, if mileage is reasonable

if the rear hatch is to put the dog on to the parcel shelf above the engine then I guess that’s ok to some extent but I would say unless your dog can fit in the passenger footwell then the Cayman is the wrong car for you

3 hours ago, Julian987 said:

if the rear hatch is to put the dog on to the parcel shelf above the engine then I guess that’s ok to some extent but I would say unless your dog can fit in the passenger footwell then the Cayman is the wrong car for you

Yeh realistically, it’s only for UK road trips I might need to use rear parcel shelf… but our dogs are quite small, one can easily sit up front with the missus.

and to be honest in I’ve barely taken the dogs on a long trip even in UK, so I might be something I can live with.

yeh 45k is too far a stretch for, plus Imdidnt realise AC wasn’t standard, so despite the R looking the part, it might be that I go for the S, and spend some money on getting the spider wheels, and black trim instead of chrome. Just think the black trim looks awesome. I’ll be dailying it so maybe the R is the wrong car for me.

On 21/09/2021 at 21:30, Shuey Chow said:

Yeh realistically, it’s only for UK road trips I might need to use rear parcel shelf… but our dogs are quite small, one can easily sit up front with the missus.

and to be honest in I’ve barely taken the dogs on a long trip even in UK, so I might be something I can live with.

yeh 45k is too far a stretch for, plus Imdidnt realise AC wasn’t standard, so despite the R looking the part, it might be that I go for the S, and spend some money on getting the spider wheels, and black trim instead of chrome. Just think the black trim looks awesome. I’ll be dailying it so maybe the R is the wrong car for me.

by the time you do all that you are halfway closer, of the difference, to an R. Get the R, life it too short. 

Edited by Julian987
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/09/2021 at 23:48, Ginginho said:

Note that there are only eight manual BEs in the country.

Here is one of them!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202111059268394

Shame it is so tired looking and beat up inside. Some really careless scratches going on, especially the passenger side of the parcel shelf. 

Edited by Julian987

16 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Here is one of them!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202111059268394

Shame it is so tired looking and beat up inside. Some really careless scratches going on, especially the passenger side of the parcel shelf. 

Not much of a spec either :/

1 hour ago, Ginginho said:

The advert does boast £5K in options but I guess some of those options are a bit unexciting. I bet the cost of red speedo dials, seat belts and alcantera steering/gear knob (which look terribly aged in the pics) would have gone a way towards PSE and Sports Chrono both of which it’s sadly lacking.

oh well, maybe the other 7 are better! 

1 hour ago, Julian987 said:

The advert does boast £5K in options but I guess some of those options are a bit unexciting. I bet the cost of red speedo dials, seat belts and alcantera steering/gear knob (which look terribly aged in the pics) would have gone a way towards PSE and Sports Chrono both of which it’s sadly lacking.

oh well, maybe the other 7 are better! 

One of other seven, although very nicely specified, was in need of new discs, pads, brake pipes and some paint correction!

21 hours ago, Ginginho said:

nice spot. yeh looks a bit tired for 32k price tag.

not so keen on the red dials and black wheels.

I missed out on an Cayman R the other day - as I thought it'd auction of well above my budget.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2012-porsche-987-cayman-r?utm_campaign=facebookCampaign&utm_medium=phone&utm_source=facebook

The Cat D didn't bother me - but didn't have enough time to go view the car before bidding.

Thought it'd go for a price well into its £30s. Missed opportunity

50 minutes ago, Shuey Chow said:

I missed out on an Cayman R the other day - as I thought it'd auction of well above my budget.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2012-porsche-987-cayman-r?utm_campaign=facebookCampaign&utm_medium=phone&utm_source=facebook

The Cat D didn't bother me - but didn't have enough time to go view the car before bidding.

Don't forget you would still have to pay a 5% fee on top of your winning bid, so maybe that R was not the bargain it at first appears!

Looks like you currently have a Z4 Coupe 3.0 - that's what I had before my Cayman. You'll love the step up! If your budget is £30K you will certainly find the right car sooner or later. 

5 hours ago, Shuey Chow said:

I didn't notice that was Cat D. Personally, I think that should be in the car overview at the top although I realise that you aren't likely to spend ~£30k on a car and not read all of the details.

9 hours ago, Shuey Chow said:

A lot of analysis on this car on the PH thread. Panel gap concerns and photos of the original damage suggest it is a god send that you missed out. Avoid at all costs was the consensus . 

• Like 1

On 22/09/2021 at 23:25, Shuey Chow said:

I can't recall the spec you were after, but S wise, this is quite the time warp

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202111099395479

On 09/11/2021 at 22:18, Shuey Chow said:

If you'd seen the crash photos posted on PH of that Cat D one, you'd have been glad you missed out on buying it.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2021 at 12:13, Porschaholic said:

Don't forget you would still have to pay a 5% fee on top of your winning bid, so maybe that R was not the bargain it at first appears!

Looks like you currently have a Z4 Coupe 3.0 - that's what I had before my Cayman. You'll love the step up! If your budget is £30K you will certainly find the right car sooner or later. 

Yeh - the best thing is the hunt. I think I've found a buyer for my coupe so lets see. I'm not sure what to go with at all at mo.

The Cat D Cayman R would have been perfect, but its gone even with the 5% fee. The Cayman S Black Edition - even though is cool in terms of 500 worldwide, I'm not keen on the red dials or black wheels - and I would hate to change them from original spec.

I'm leaning back towards an M2 pre-lci, or an R8 Manual (owners seem to willing to consider 30k for 35k cars) - but I also know maintenance will be a bit out there. And then Cayman 987.2 - but not sure I can be motivated enough by an S (unless its in the perfect spec). so lets see

On 09/11/2021 at 21:17, Julian987 said:

A lot of analysis on this car on the PH thread. Panel gap concerns and photos of the original damage suggest it is a god send that you missed out. Avoid at all costs was the consensus . 

yeh - I did ask the guy/gal for the damage report but they didn't upload. so yeh probably for the best