need advice please on 987.1 3,4

sham

42 minutes ago, Ginginho said:

I agree with your sentiment that things have plateaued; although I haven't really been paying close attention since my purchase last month, those cars with huge asking prices were on the market for a good while. The winter will see prices fall further too IMO.

Road tax on a Gen 1S is £585 btw!

Oh best part of £600 ...£50/month...less and less people will accept that no matter how much they would love an old Porsche.

I noticed my gen 2 tax has crept up £10 to £340 this year.

Only way to partially insulate yourself is buy the rarer ones and a gen 2S manual is about seven (?) times rarer than a gen 1S manual. It's why I bought an R when they were cheaper after owning a gen 1S. They cost the same as a Gen 1S to service but are actually more fuel efficient and cheaper tax. Overall, you get  alot more for the running costs....the entry point was alot higher but you get what I mean as the exit point should also be alot higher.

From what I understand, UK has relatively low Road tax if you compare it to many other countries...take a look at Ireland...a gen 1S would be nearly €2000 to tax (3x the cost if the UK)

In the UK, it just takes one trigger happy government to throw us owners of relatively large NA engines under the bus.  If they feel it's a vote winner, they'll do it. It's not like they don't have serious holes in the government coffees to fill after Covid money dumps!!

Edited by Andyoz

19 hours ago, Andyoz said:

I think things have plateaued and the craziness will die away a bit. 

As soon as you start to think the way you, it's a sign that we're in a mini bubble...FOMO...fear of missing out drives so many markets for a while.

Don't underestimate the cost of tax for a gen 1S at £560 versus £330 for gen 2S. I know it's easy to think you won't care about that but it is a factor now and definitely into the future if governments really start ratcheting up car tax.

Also, a gen 2 engine is a good bit different to a gen 1. More tuneable for a start. They just rev up faster etc. The whole bore score/IMS thing is only part of a bigger story. 

Thanks mate for advice,  what you guys think of the 2.9 gen2, there are a couple of nice ones for sale. 

44 minutes ago, sham said:

Thanks mate for advice,  what you guys think of the 2.9 gen2, there are a couple of nice ones for sale. 

I'd buy the best looking Cayman on the market right now. But I'm biased 😂

8 minutes ago, Ginginho said:

I'd buy the best looking Cayman on the market right now. But I'm biased 😂

Lol I would love to mate, to be honest low 20s is my budget.  Is yours a gen2?

5 minutes ago, sham said:

No, I always thought I'd buy a Gen 2 but the Gen 1 Sport in orange was the only car that really captured my heart. Ignoring my purchase, I wouldn't spend over £20k for a regular Gen 1. Low £20s is sufficient for a Gen 2, perhaps even an S if you are patient and ready to act quickly when the right one comes along.

9 minutes ago, Ginginho said:

No, I always thought I'd buy a Gen 2 but the Gen 1 Sport in orange was the only car that really captured my heart. Ignoring my purchase, I wouldn't spend over £20k for a regular Gen 1. Low £20s is sufficient for a Gen 2, perhaps even an S if you are patient and ready to act quickly when the right one comes along.

Ok mate thanks, if you dont mind me asking, are you worried about all that bore scoring issues or do you sleep well at night and not worry. 

For context, I bought my higher spec Guards Red gen 1 S approaching 10 years ago with 46K miles for £20,500.  This one lacks a couple of important options including xenon headlights and Bose (the ad states it has Bose but it doesn't).  I personally would always go for the Sports seats.

Not all gen 1 S are higher tax.  Those like my old car registered before 23rd March 2006 are in the lower tax bracket.  

Another point to note is at that mileage, it will likely be needing some expenditure fairly soon so no different than a well looked after car with double the miles in that respect.

38 minutes ago, sham said:

Ok mate thanks, if you dont mind me asking, are you worried about all that bore scoring issues or do you sleep well at night and not worry. 

I had a tough call to make as, in buying the car from Collecting Cars, I had the worst of both worlds; no time to get a PPI and no dealer warranty. A large part of me wanted to walk away and wait for one that I could PPI and, as a Gen 1, get scoped. I took the punt and have cast that doubt aside to focus on the good stuff.

2 hours ago, sham said:

What sort of extra budget do you have for maintenance (outside of the usual tyres and consumables). You are buying at 10+ year old mid engined sports car so you'd be very lucky to not have some outlay within the first 6 months and these cars can generate four figure sums easily.  Would you source parts and work on it yourself?

Edited by Andyoz

3 hours ago, sham said:

They used to be really good value but the last 6 months the values of 2.9 and 3.4 have narrowed alot. I really like the idea of a 2.9 in a Boxster but in a Cayman I'd personally want full fat S experience.

A 2.9 could be great entry into Porsche ownership though. In the real world, a 2.9 gen 2 wouldn't give away much to a 3.4S performance wise. The 2.9 is a non DFI engine too so better induction noise than the gen 2S DFI and also has slightly different gearing. In the gen 2, the base and S models essentially has the same brakes but not so for gen 1.

1 hour ago, Andyoz said:

What sort of extra budget do you have for maintenance (outside of the usual tyres and consumables). You are buying at 10+ year old mid engined sports car so you'd be very lucky to not have some outlay within the first 6 months and these cars can generate four figure sums easily.  Would you source parts and work on it yourself?

I have money for maintenence mate, that ain't the problem, my only issue is this bore scoring thing, I'm the kinda person who will think somethings wrong even when it ain't.  I'm totally new to porshes, this will be my first one and that's why I just want opinions from you guys. It seems like there are a few owners of 987.1 here which is a bonus.

2 hours ago, Ginginho said:

I had a tough call to make as, in buying the car from Collecting Cars, I had the worst of both worlds; no time to get a PPI and no dealer warranty. A large part of me wanted to walk away and wait for one that I could PPI and, as a Gen 1, get scoped. I took the punt and have cast that doubt aside to focus on the good stuff.

Mate your cars beautiful, it would be hard for alot of people to walk away from that.  Its kinda like turning down your dream woman.

6 hours ago, sham said:

I have money for maintenence mate, that ain't the problem, my only issue is this bore scoring thing, I'm the kinda person who will think somethings wrong even when it ain't.  I'm totally new to porshes, this will be my first one and that's why I just want opinions from you guys. It seems like there are a few owners of 987.1 here which is a bonus.

Yes, I had a 987.1S and they can use oil even when the engines healthy and their oil usage seems to vary a lot from car to car. I know mine did so you need to be prepared for that variability. It's different to say a Mazda RX8 which is designed to use oil and they all do it.

Worst case is you start watching the automatic dash oil measurement oil tool every time you start it.  It's why maybe a 2.9 would be a good starting point.

The gen 2 engines are different technically in alot of areas and it's the same engine they carried over into the 981 generation.

I've owned both and enjoyed my time in the gen 1 but in the gen 2 there are less things to be worried about engine wise. There's enough other things in these cars to be listening out for and diagnosing (suspension, water pumps, fluid leaks, condensers, etc) which is why I asked about maintenance contingency (I wasn't trying to be smart BTW).

If a gen 1 engine bore scores it's a five figure sum to fix properly.  I know of at least two personally that were dumped onto WBAC by owners in the last year as they dint check. They go straight to auction so unfortunately the second hand market inherently sees a more concentrated number of them.

The lucky gen 1S owners are the ones that don't even know bore score exists and just drives their cars and enjoys them. Odds are on their side too. I miss the noise my gen 1 engine made inside the cabin (induction roar)

Edited by Andyoz

11 hours ago, Andyoz said:

Yes, I had a 987.1S and they can use oil even when the engines healthy and their oil usage seems to vary a lot from car to car. I know mine did so you need to be prepared for that variability. It's different to say a Mazda RX8 which is designed to use oil and they all do it.

Worst case is you start watching the automatic dash oil measurement oil tool every time you start it.  It's why maybe a 2.9 would be a good starting point.

The gen 2 engines are different technically in alot of areas and it's the same engine they carried over into the 981 generation.

I've owned both and enjoyed my time in the gen 1 but in the gen 2 there are less things to be worried about engine wise. There's enough other things in these cars to be listening out for and diagnosing (suspension, water pumps, fluid leaks, condensers, etc) which is why I asked about maintenance contingency (I wasn't trying to be smart BTW).

If a gen 1 engine bore scores it's a five figure sum to fix properly.  I know of at least two personally that were dumped onto WBAC by owners in the last year as they dint check. They go straight to auction so unfortunately the second hand market inherently sees a more concentrated number of them.

The lucky gen 1S owners are the ones that don't even know bore score exists and just drives their cars and enjoys them. Odds are on their side too. I miss the noise my gen 1 engine made inside the cabin (induction roar)

thanks mate, you know what seems strange when i go on you tube and watch the americans with gen1s they hardly ever mention the bore scoring issue.

1 hour ago, sham said:

thanks mate,  do you know much about the porsche approved warranties, is it true after a car is 15 years or more older its hard to get a warranty