Tyre Choice...

• Founder

I released today i'm going to need some new tyres for the CR soon, nearly at the wear markers.  

3 options really, bearing in mind its only used as a weekend car in relatively fair weather.  

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (currently on the car)

Michelin Pilot Supersport

Michelin Cup Sport II  

I'm leaning towards one of the last 2 choices but not sure if the Cup2 would be ok for road use..?

My tyre retailer and his wife both run Super Sports. They say the Cups are too much for purely road use, and expensive.

Also, contact Michelin Technical and ask them. 

michelin-contact@uk.michelin.com

• Founder

Latest conundrum (if i'm bothered by N ratings)... 

• I can get four PS2 to replace like for like what I already have, all 4 N-rated tyres
  • I can get four PSS, but N-rated tyres are not available for the front tyre size
  • I can get four PSCup2, but the N -rated tyres are not available for the rear tyre size

I no longer have a Porsche warranty, so i'm not massively bothered about the N-rating, although it would be nice to have them if there were available.  I'm loathed to buy a tyre with technology that is upteen years old and has been superseded by a newer one just because of Porsche's stupid bloody tyre ratings.  (rant over)  :sCh_taz:

I found a good price for 4 PSS fitted so will be fitting those in the coming weeks.

Before fitting GY F1 A2s to my TTS I phoned Goodyear to check they were OK for the car as they were non-AO.

Goodyear contacted their HQ in Germany to check whether there had been any reported issues with this fitment, which there hadn't. The chap explained that although we think tyre widths are all the same they are not. I posted this excerpt at the time on the TT forum. Note the bit about a 255 wide tyre being up to 270 wide!...

David Mullin
Technical Customer Support & Service
Goodyear Dunlop Tyres UK Ltd
08453 453453 option 3

He tells me all tyres are made in accordance with the ETRTO rules: http://www.etrto.org/page.asp?id=1690&langue=EN

This means a generic non-AO 255 35 19 tyre is allowed to be up to around 270mm wide, and is also the reason he receives dozens of calls from Audi owners about wheel arch rubbing on some models, as owners have bought generic tyres and not AO marked ones.

AO tyres are manufactured to Audi's own spec to meet their performance, noise, and comfort criteria and also so as to fit within the wheel arches! So a 255 wide tyre can be up to 4% narrower to accommodate this AND still be within the ETRTO rules. With AO tyres he doesn't get calls about wheel arch rubbing.

AND.......

I emailed Michelin and Continental with the same query about AO/non-AO, as follows. each of their replies appear under:

"A tyre retailer told me that tyres marked "AO" are approved by Audi to suit their cars, rather than generic non-AO tyres of the same make/type/model. I'm looking at buying Sport Contact 255 35 19 (or "Super Sport" when emailing Michelin) for my Audi TTS and wonder if the AO tyres would be better for me? Could you explain why some are marked AO and others not? Many thanks." 

FROM CONTINENTAL:

Good afternoon David, 
Thank you for your email.
The "AO" or "R01" marking is to represent that that particular tyre is homoligated as an "OE" original equipment fit on the Audi, there may be some minor adjustments as requested by Audi before homoligation. 
In the 255/35 R19 (96Y) ContiSportContact5 we only appear to list the "AO" option 
Best Regards 

Ian Jackson
Technical Administrator
Continental Tyre Group Ltd
DC2 Castle Mound Way
Rugby
United Kingdom
CV23 0WB

Direct Line: +44 (0)1788 566240
Fax: +44 (0)1788 517731
E-Mail: administrator.technical @conti.de
Web: http:// http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk 

Note the "minor adjustments as requested by Audi" bit.

AND FROM MICHELIN:

Thank you for your enquiry about Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tyres. 
You are correct 'AO' = Audi, all new vehicles from this vehicle manufacturer if the vehicle is OE 'original equipment' the tyres will be marked AO.
The PSS 255/35ZR19(96Y) XL PILOT SUPER SPORT is currently unbadged to so to speak but will be suitable for your vehicle in a set of four. This tyre is for ALL A4 Audi Quattro : TT 2006 + RS4 (B7), A6 S-Line (C6) + A5 S-Line (B8).

Kind Regards
Julie  
Consumer Contact Team
Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company
Registered in England no.84559. Registered office Stoke-on-Trent ST4 4EY.

End.

So, I suggest you contact whichever manufacture and check for reported issues before fitting their non-N rated tyres. 

As it happens, a while after fitting the F1 A2s, I had one occasion when my suspension bottomed out and a tyre did rub ever so slightly on the wheel arch insides. I reported this back to Goodyear.

Edited by DJMC

• Founder

Ok so, i've found Black Circles offering 4 Pilot Super Sport for £758 fitted, which is pretty good, rears are N-rated.  I decided that having the better tyre technology in the PSS and a far better performing tyre is better than having 10 year old technology in the PS2 just for the sake of n-ratings.  

The Cup 2 worked out at £900 for a set of 4, but decided the operating temps were the issue with the Cup 2 on the road.  

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

Ok so, i've found Black Circles offering 4 Pilot Super Sport for £758 fitted, which is pretty good, rears are N-rated.  I decided that having the better tyre technology in the PSS and a far better performing tyre is better than having 10 year old technology in the PS2 just for the sake of n-ratings.  

The Cup 2 worked out at £900 for a set of 4, but decided the operating temps were the issue with the Cup 2 on the road.  

The PSS also wear remarkably well too. I have a set for track days and they're still like new after several track days

Not that my P Zeros need replacing yet, but I'll ask the instructor at the PEC on Thursday which he would choose, Goodyear F1 A2 or MPSS.

I can buy the rear MPSS 265 35 20 for £335 the pair at present, and they'll need doing first. Fronts are £300 the pair.

Add £15 per wheel for fitting, so around £700 all in. Might "stock up" on the rears, as the price seems cheap?

• 8 months later...

are the Pilot Super sports still 'the' tyre to have for the R ? or is the new Michelin Pro pilot 2 (or whatever they are called!) the tyre to get?

Were you pretty satisfied with your PSS Beanoir?

Used the R at Snetterton yesterday in the heat and the only thing really slowing me down was the Goodyear F1's as they got very squirmy after a few laps. They also squeal like piggies :)

For your interest , I used both Michelin PSS and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 on my 2012 Cayman R. The Cup 2's were on a spare set of Spyder alloys which I fitted for driving to track days from the Scottish Highlands where I live. The Michelin PSS were used mainly on the road, except for one session on the Silverstone GP circuit when I competed in the 2014 Michelin Pilot Sport Challenge. They performed very well on the long GP circuit. It was a successful combination, I came second in the final results on the day.

My opinion is the Michelin Super Sports are by far the best option for general road use, and a huge improvement on the Michelin PS2 in both wet and dry surfaces.

The Cup 2's were fitted for the PCGB Knockhill track day last May, and remained on the car for the long journey south to the PCGB Anglesey event. My journey south included many streaming wet motorway miles without any dramas whatsoever. Just so long as you watched carefully for standing water and kept your speed within sensible limits for the conditions. The return trip including the Anglesey track day totalled 1300 miles from my home town. The Cup 2's performed brilliantly and I had no issues on the performance of the tyres on both road and track. Tyre wear was negligible, evidently a huge improvement over the previous Cup tyre.

I still have the Cup 2's fitted to the Spyder alloys in the garage with the intention of fitting them to my forthcoming 718 Cayman S, whenever I get a build slot that is! Alternatively, I may put them up for sale in the future. The combination of the Spyder alloys and Cup 2's are ideal for anyone contemplating the occasional track day with their CR.

Brian    

• Founder
1 hour ago, MJ said:

are the Pilot Super sports still 'the' tyre to have for the R ? or is the new Michelin Pro pilot 2 (or whatever they are called!) the tyre to get?

Were you pretty satisfied with your PSS Beanoir?

Used the R at Snetterton yesterday in the heat and the only thing really slowing me down was the Goodyear F1's as they got very squirmy after a few laps. They also squeal like piggies :)

The PSS are really very good, used them in anger a few times, including a very wet Hethel track day at which I was very impressed with their wet weather ability, in fact almost unbelievable.  Dry performance is noticeably better than the PS2 was but isn't a touch on the cup2. 

Still head and shoulders compared to other brands fast road tyres IMO, and yes the F1's show their weakness when you do anything more than enthusiastic road driving. 

I haven't heard much about the PP2 yet, be interested to see how they perform and where in the product range they are pitched.

I still fancy the N marked PS4 when it's available...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/What-is-happening-to-the-Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4.htm

...but my F1s have another couple of years in them yet.

• Like 1

I just replaced the P-Zero rears on our GTS, after 12800miles / exactly one year. 

Next time, I'll be needing all four and hope I can get hold of a set of NO PS4 by then :)