Cleaning engine

Has anyone cleaned the engine and if so any tips on where or if to mask up and what is ok to use ? 

Also has anyone fitted the clear engine cover and detailed the engine so its visible  through the glass cover ?

You mean you've actually seen your engine? Not many Cayman owners have I'm sure :-)

I have once actually removed my engine cover to see what was there, it was dusty. I just wiped some of the accessible dust off with a damp cloth and put the cover back on, but I've never been one to put much effort into cleaning engines.

I didn't think that the engine looked interesting enough to warrant a clear cover and I prefer to have the sound deadening which comes with the metal cover.

• 2 years later...

As a ‘factory tool’ Porsche list an engine cleaner for Caymans and Boxsters; it comprises the removable engine top panel with what appears to be an air/ waterline connector in the middle of it. High tech in the extreme but I suppose it saves the interior when you turn the tap full on. No doubt drilling a hole and using a screw in barb or fitting would replicate the part at a fraction of the cost.

I've seen a UTube video of a guy in the USA pressure washing and detailing his engine. The result was great. However one of his later clips was replacing coil packs due to water ingress!

16 hours ago, garytipping said:

I've seen a UTube video of a guy in the USA pressure washing and detailing his engine. The result was great. However one of his later clips was replacing coil packs due to water ingress!

I've done both Steam clean and jet wash engine bays. I have never had an issue using a pressure washer on an engine bay and engine so long as common sense is applied.

Things like keep the jet wash moving never hold it one place as this can force water into places you don't want it. All you would be doing with the jet wash in this instance is rinsing and not actual cleaning. I use a jet wash instead of an open hose as it puts through a lot less water. Also cover things like alternators. If you have an open air filter etc make sure this is covered too.

All of your cleaning will be done with your chosen cleaner and detailing brush in the same instance.

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, garytipping said:

Thanks for your reply, as you say common sense needs to be applied.

Do you cover the Buckingham (MK18) area?

Cheers

Gary

I will inbox you.

Thanks,