What engine mounts are you on?

7 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

That's an insert for the engine mount and a totally separate thing from the gearbox mounts you were talking about above

My bad. So the rs are gearbox mounts.  OK.  Got it. 

13 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

Is this the kit you are referring to?  Any other parts I need to get?

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD375964/clubsport-engine-mount-set-964-993-oem.html

That's not the one that I bought.  Got mine from Type 911: https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/8447

9 hours ago, Aaron said:

Thanks!  So, just so I'm understanding what my eyes read..

This 964 ENGINE mount can be used as a GEAR mount for cayman?

6 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

Thanks!  So, just so I'm understanding what my eyes read..

This 964 ENGINE mount can be used as a GEAR mount for cayman?

Yes because the 911 has an engine and gearbox facing the opposite way. The 911 engine mounts are the 987 gearbox mounts

21 hours ago, Aaron said:

Just checked shipping to me.  80 quid.  

The Type 911 kit is Uro.  I haven't done enough miles nor had them long enough (been fitted over winter) to make any conclusions, unfortunately.

@ Aaron and @Lennym1984

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/8447

Are these plug and play so to speak on the 987.2 or is some modification to the kit (eg.  bolt length etc) required?

Appreciate your time.

P.S.  They have cut shipping cost to 50 from 80 quid... what choice do I have.. sigh.

7 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

@ Aaron and @Lennym1984

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/8447

Are these plug and play so to speak on the 987.2 or is some modification to the kit (eg.  bolt length etc) required?

Appreciate your time.

P.S.  They have cut shipping cost to 50 from 80 quid... what choice do I have.. sigh

Yes. You may need to trim the large bolt for clearance depending on how the exhaust is setup. I've only fitted them to a 986 (same setup) and had no clearance issues

It's an easy job and can be done on the driveway in a few hours. 

The engine mount is slightly harder due to access but if you can borrow a lift it makes it much easier

Edited by Lennym1984

8 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

@ Aaron and @Lennym1984

Appreciate your time.

P.S.  They have cut shipping cost to 50 from 80 quid... what choice do I have.. sigh.

On my PDK CR, I had to cut the bolt thread deeper (it's only a partial thread) and then cut about 10mm off the edge of the bolt.  The bolts are stainless steel and a regular mild steel thread cutter won't cut it.

17 hours ago, Pretzel said:

What sort to mileage are you up to before needing new engine and gearbox mounts?

The engine mounts tend to deteriorate from about 50-60k (the rubber starts to split and tear) but once you are up to about 100k they'll be knackered. The gearbox mounts may last the life of the car (the ones I removed from my 100k Cayman were fine) or they can fail prematurely. They are easy to replace so not a big deal to change them for something stiffer

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

The engine mounts tend to deteriorate from about 50-60k (the rubber starts to split and tear) but once you are up to about 100k they'll be knackered. The gearbox mounts may last the life of the car (the ones I removed from my 100k Cayman were fine) or they can fail prematurely. They are easy to replace so not a big deal to change them for something stiffer

Did you go with the RS transmission mounts?  I've been told (by the seller) that they do induce a fair bit of NVH and hence am considering to stay original.

2 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

Did you go with the RS transmission mounts?  I've been told (by the seller) that they do induce a fair bit of NVH and hence am considering to stay original.

I've had three different types on Boxsters/Caymans and I have never noticed any significant increase in NVH.

Standard - 964 RS - DIY polyurethane mounts (85a).

Maybe some people are more sensitive than me but I also have polybushed suspension and that certainly added noticeable vibrations (which I can live with).

• Founder
On 19/12/2021 at 02:25, Liongolfer said:

For those on the 964RS mounts... I'm reading it transfers a bit more vibration?  If yes, I'm not sure I want that as my CS is quite chatty already as is. I don't track and perhaps will do (borders still closed here) the very occasional B-Road drive.

I guess this would solicit a "stay with stock" recommendation but since I need to change them ... 

I changed to the 964 mounts, which are a solid bush compared with the liquid filled OE bushes.  There is definitely an increase in NVH, which for a weekend fun car wouldn’t be an issue, but for a daily driver on the motorway would be irksome.