Gen 2 3.4 manual wanted

It’s all academic as she’s not for sale yet. 

but when she is I’ll price her at the price I want, and see if she sells at that then. 

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

For sure, wish you luck with the sale. Apologies,  didn't mean to get bogged down in a discussion on a particular car or imply anything terribly negative. Everyone is free to price their car at whatever level they want.

Sorry guys but for the life of me this image Is stuck in my reply box and i cannot delete it, even in edit 

Edited by Neil_jdmr
Bloody image file

I was just looking through the 987.2 S market and they have really gained ground since the prices when i was looking. 

70-80k cars -23-25k mostly private

50- 60k cars 24- 27k mixed

40k car 27-29k private and indy

Sub 40k - 30k indy

Sub 30k - 32k indy

The really really nice low milage well specced cars certainly are around the 30k mark now. 

This was based on a 20min flick through ph/at etc so by no means statistically correct lol. Also i found a lot of the cars especially the mid mileage cars didn't have chrono/pse/pasm which are all the big money items when it comes to resale.

Bargains and good deals will always be there but i expect it will take a lot of time and patience over the next couple of years. 

On 18/03/2022 at 20:43, MartinF6 said:

First one is PDK (and laughably over priced even in this market).

Second one is OK, but black on black doesn't excite me. It also overpriced given the mileage. Which is why it has been for sale for a while and not shifted. Neither are value.

I'd pay through the nose for a perfect spec car. But there are a lot of over priced 987 right now and none of them are selling. The correctly priced good spec ones disappear instantly. I missed a veyr good car at Dove House about two months ago. Hadn't quite decided I was buying. 

Outfits like Ashgood who really know what they are doing are not pricing the cars nearly this high.

Hi think the Cayman from Dovehouse maybe the silver one I picked up, pretty much fully ticked spec boxes at a good price. 

A beautiful car and a good price in today's market.  Personally it's missing two must have options, chrono and ptv. The chrono i realise is not so much to some but really sharpens up the throttle ime. Ptv I'm not sure was even an option on 987's but if it was i'd want it.

4 hours ago, MartinF6 said:

Very likely. Was this one:

https://dovehousecars.com/car/1037-porsche-cayman-987--s-3-4-manual-gen-ii

Nice buy. Very few with that kind of spec.

Yes that’s the one, I spotted it as soon as it was up for sale and promptly sold my Exige s2. Sadly I have only been out in it a handful of times. I have owned two Porsche over the years, a 911 sc and a 911 supersport and this is definitely the best in both performance and comfort. 

No PTV on 987. Only an optional mechanical LSD which makes very little difference in most driving circumstances. I've had 987s both with and without it. It's fun for gunning the car from a stand still and not having a wheel spin up, but apart from that (and it helped me out of a muddy field once), not really relevant for road driving.

Chrono I've had on a gen 2 987 before. Wouldn't be a priority for me. Problem is that it makes the non-Sport throttle mapping incredibly dead. And it doesn't 'remember' your last setting, which always annoyed me.

There's a cheap plug in / easily removable thing you can also get for very little cash that will make the throttle mapping as jumpy as you'd like, too. There are some options you really need to have factory fit if you want them, but chrono isn't one of them (well, unless you want the clock!).

It all comes down to what you want from the car i guess. I mean ext leather/bose/xenons are complete waste of money options for me. Where as pasm/pse/chrono/ptv were MY outright essentials. 

I always planned on driving the car to the best of my ability and enjoying the countries circuits in the summer months. 

If it's a blast out with the wife, weekend stays and european road trips i can see the appeal of other more "comfort" options

We all have different preferences.

The 'driving' options on the 987 are somewhat problematical for me. PASM on a 987.2, which I have had in the past, is two settings which you may or may not like. For me standard was way to soft, Sport had way too much damping. Neither setting to my taste. The non-PASM chassis setup not to my taste either, sits too high, under sprung and under damped. Point being, either way, I'd need to do fairly expensive changes to get the car handling how I prefer. 

Admittedly, if I wasn't allowed to make any changes, I'd prefer PASM. Sits a little lower and the DSC box is a relatively affordable tweak that helps a lot. I've got a DSC box from a previous car ready to go in should I buy a car with PASM. So, yeah, I'd prefer to have it, but it's not ideal as standard and it narrows the pool a lot.

The diff, as I said, has little impact on road driving, even if you are pushing very hard in road driving terms. Yes, would make a little difference on track. But attempting to spec a 1,400kg road car for track, even if I do the odd track day, does not make sense to me. Been there, tried that in the past.

Chrono is of little value re driving for me and easy to replicate the little it does do and you can't have PTV on a 987. All of which means for me the only essentials are manual and ext leather because neither are terribly practical to address post purchase. You're not going to convert a car to manual and likewise while you could swap the dash and doors cards, etc, that really is a bit of a palaver. Chassis in the long run will need a tweak either way, headlights and sound system relatively easy to sort. Etc. So the absolute deal breakers boil down to manual and ext leather. One is driving, one is chintz!

Don't think I've driven a 987 with PSE actually. If it's really good I don't want to know. Ignorance is bliss in that instance! Wish I'd never had any 987s with ext leather, either. Then I wouldn't know / care about it and would be 10x times easier to source a car. :D

Sorry, I must be boring the hell out of everyone, hopefully I'll sort a car soon snd you'll be rid of me!