Cayman OC meeting in the south?

Your right of course, there is a meeting near Towcester on the 10th but for me that's south of the north, or north of the south, and that's further than I'd go for a bacon butty.

I wondered whether there may be some owners in the Hants/West Sussex region who, like me, would be interested in a meeting closer to home, but not a problem if there isn't.

10 hours ago, twopointnine said:

I was wondering whether there might be interest in arranging a Cayman OC meeting in the south? I thought perhaps Goodwood motor circuit might be a good venue, at maybe 9:00 a.m. on a Sunday when there are no other major events taking place there. I don't know that any special permission is required to meet there but the aeroclub at Goodwood motor circuit have a cafe that is open to non-members, currently it is located in the old control tower which is opposite the pits complex.

According to the Goodwood Motor Circuit Diary there is no major event taking place on Sunday 10th April. Anyone interested?

So is Goodwood still open to just show up and park / wander? We've only ever been to main events and Breakfast Club meetings.

We were thinking of a drive to the SUper Sausage COC meeting, as that menu looks very tempting :)

I'm not sure how many folk here would be up for a short notice meeting on the same day though? Perhaps start a thread.

If there are a few, we could be convinced, as it's nearer for us too.

I think regional meetings would be a plus, but on a different Sunday from each other.

So we could have, say, Midlands, South, Scotland, North, on four different Sundays in the same month.

That way, nobody is torn between two COC meets on the same day if equidistant from each.

Beanoir: Yes I'll be going to "Simply Porsche" at Beaulieuall being well.

Red5: It's my understanding that Goodwood allows you to just show up and wander except on the Members Meeting and Revival weekends. I've been a few times to watch practice for the Revival and various sprints. The aeroclub cafe is currently in the old control tower which is on the left when entering the site before the tunnel. Sometime this year the new aeroclub building/cafe will open and that is on the infield between the paddocks and the runway.

DJMC: It does make sense to hold meetings on different days of the month, when I suggested the 10th it was the first weekend when Goodwood had nothing major on but of course I'd forgotten about the Super Sausage meeting.

Here is a link to the Goodwood Motor Circuit Diary https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/track-day-experiences/noisemanagement/motor-circuit-diary.aspx , from that it looks like April 17/24 and May 8/15/22/29 may not be too busy - of course there are other places too.

Some people may already have plans for April 17 as that is the WEC racing at Silverstone and hillclimbing at Gurston Down.

Mmmmm interesting! So there would still be breakfast :)

That's a nice drive of about 45mins, as apposed to about 2 hours to SSC meet!

Great idea for a southern based meeting. 

I've looked at the Super Sausage location and as others have said, 2+ hours is a bit of a trek for a sandwich and a chat :)

Count me in whenever one gets organised down here.

• Administrators

I think its a great idea to have local meets for members, I would suggest just keeping an eye on other meets/events that might be arranged for a similar time.  

Beanoir is looking to arrange one of the monthly meets down south at one of the Porsche indies soon, it would be a shame if we had conflicting meets and didn't have the turnout we'd promised our hosts.  He'll post up as soon as details are known I'm sure. 

Also if you would like meets to be posted on the Facebook page then again speak with Beanoir or Andy as (the former) is the guardian of our social media activities. 

Apart from that, it's getting closer to me so you never know I may even turn up ;) 

• Like 1

I attended the last Sausage Cafe meet, a really good venue, a big car park  with enough space to just park up and have a chat without anoying anyone. We did go up the night before and stay locally to make it less of just a long drive for breakfast, but I don't need much of an excuse on a nice day for a long drive!

I am 10 miles from Goodwood and a GRRC member and its always a good place to meet up, better when the Aero Cafe is open which is supposed to be soon.

Count me in if one is arranged.

Paul

I think it best that we wait and see what Tom is organising before we decide on a date for Goodwood.

btw - There are a couple of Caymans entered for the Gurston Speed Hillclimb near Salisbury on Saturday 16th April. I'll be going along - they do a good breakfast too.

• Founder

Nothing apart from the SSC on the 10th Andrew, the indie meet will be a few months away, no date confirmed yet but we'll announce in plenty of time ahead.  

If there's interest in a southern meet for the 10th then go ahead, sounds like a good plan on reflection, im gutted of course i can't be in 2 places at once :( 

as Tom said, if you want me to put anything on the Facebook page then let me know.  

This sounds great! Quite a trek to Goodwood for me, but one I would make! 

If they allowed entrance on the practise days that would be a great to have a meet on, Anything needed adding to the FB page let us know. You can either PM me on here or over on the FB page :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder
12 hours ago, twopointnine said:

Any news on this yet Beanoir?

No not yet, but i'm thinking perhaps lets do the next meet down South anyway, its only fair right?  And I think there will be a few guys from north of Watford who'd enjoy stretching their legs and make a trip of it.  

I reckon I could convince Kev if the weather was ok, maybe the 2 Davids and the 2 Marks for a convoy down somewhere..  

Edited by Beanoir
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2016 at 21:37, Beanoir said:

No not yet, but i'm thinking perhaps lets do the next meet down South anyway, its only fair right?  And I think there will be a few guys from north of Watford who'd enjoy stretching their legs and make a trip of it.  

I reckon I could convince Kev if the weather was ok, maybe the 2 Davids and the 2 Marks for a convoy down somewhere..  

Are people only coming in pairs of the same name... what does that make Kev?!

Either way I'll be in for a trip. 

Can anyone suggest a good central place for a meet and we'll get the ball rolling. 

7 hours ago, Andy said:

Can anyone suggest a good central place for a meet and we'll get the ball rolling. 

I still think that the Aero Club cafe at Goodwood motor circuit is a reasonable venue - cafe open from 9:00 a.m. and plenty of parking, as long as there's not a major event on. According to the diary Sunday May 8th is Young Drivers Day which I doubt will be busy but you could always check with Goodwood first.. Find the motor circuit diary here. Find the Goodwood aero club cafe here.

• Tom pinned this topic
  • Tom unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic