Bushman

Hi all, I'm known as Bushman, recently bought my first Porsche, a blue Cayman 3.4s, loving it. soaking up any info that comes my way so thought Id ask to join up and introduce myself.

2 questions that Id like to ask please, 1,why does my Cayman smell of hot antifreeze after a run and yet there is no loss of coolant level at all and the cooling system is still pressurised after not using the car for 2 or 3 days. if there was a leek I would expect to see a loss  of coolant and no residual pressure. 2, can you buy a Haynes type manual for a Cayman. thanks.

Hi Busman,

Gl ad you are enjoying your 3.4 s, they are great cars!

All Caymans seem to smell of coolant after a hot run, it doesn't denote a leak in the system. 

My OPC says that the coolant gets hot and, because of the mis engined configuration the smell of the hot coolant is noticeable from outside of the car, unlike the normal front engined variety. 

So, I was told, it is nothing to worry about. 

Dont nut know about the Haynes manual, I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome Bushman! 

A very small coolant leak can lead to a smell, it may not show as a puddle underneath the car, especially if it's dripping onto the exhaust as it will just evaporate.  The smell is more likely to be as Derek says above, the normal 'hot Cayman' smell that we all experience.  

There isn't a Haynes manual to my knowledge, I often refer to this online workshop manual though, scroll down for the Cayman manuals.

http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/

• Like 1

• Founder

2 hours ago, CaymanDave said:

Hi and welcome Bushman! 

A very small coolant leak can lead to a smell, it may not show as a puddle underneath the car, especially if it's dripping onto the exhaust as it will just evaporate.  The smell is more likely to be as Derek says above, the normal 'hot Cayman' smell that we all experience.  

There isn't a Haynes manual to my knowledge, I often refer to this online workshop manual though, scroll down for the Cayman manuals.

http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/

thank you. for the advice and the link

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

thanks for the welcome and the links.

thanks for the welcome guys and the advice. will follow the various manual links that you have posted.

had dry roads here today so I now have purple Brembos and a big grin. ps, how much are new tyres?

• Founder

We need to see some photos :) 

depends on size of your wheels, I would suggest shopping around using the online places, Event Tyres are my recommendation for fitting at your house or office.  

• Like 1

Hi Bushman, Welcome along!  Hopefully we'll get to meet you at a meet soon? 

Tyre price wise will be dependent on which wheel you are running and which brand you go for, there is the ongoing debate regarding the N Rating requirements, so people choose to and others don't. 

Which tyres are on at the moment? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for al the replies and making a new member feel welcome. I would like to meet up with you guys sometime but I never seem to get much free time. always at work and my work is important to me so mustn't complain.. I have seen 2 more Caymans in Bedford where I live, a cobalt blue like mine but with a GT4 type spoiler and a black one. don't know if either of these are members.

1 hour ago, Bushman said:

thanks for al the replies and making a new member feel welcome. I would like to meet up with you guys sometime but I never seem to get much free time. always at work and my work is important to me so mustn't complain.. I have seen 2 more Caymans in Bedford where I live, a cobalt blue like mine but with a GT4 type spoiler and a black one. don't know if either of these are members.

Hmmm... Bedford... Anywhere good for a monthly COC meeting down your way?

:welcome:

I will give this some thought, I guess you are all looking for a Super Sausage or Ace Café type place. nothing is jumping off the page at me, at least nothing with a big car park. I'll work on it.

• Like 1

...they were poncey, on bruschetta or suchlike (or suprema bocata, whatever that is?). Mind you, I think someone else paid for mine. ^_^

BB wasn't leaven on the menu sour at yeast they accommodated us. Maybe they thought that's what Porsche drivers would eat, and we'd turn our noses up at white sliced? Or they were kneading to make the most dough possible out of us?

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 11.04.14.png

Having said that, I didn't have a BB the first time at the SS, and the 2nd the queue of bikers was out the door!

re Bedfordshire meet. Ive looked around at options and the only place that I can think of that might suit all is The Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden airfield between Bedford and Biggleswade. they host lots of car, bike, aircraft enthusiasts clubs and have a good restaurant on site, you can pay £12 entry and go round the historic plane and vehicle collection or walk round Swiss cottage gardens. on non event days there is no cover charge for using the car park or restaurant. just an idea.

• Like 1