The new cayman 718

I like the look of it, but is it just me or do other members have difficulty differentiating between the newer Caymans (981 onwards) and the 911 family? I find myself looking for the Cayman badge (and some are now just badged Porsche), looking inside for an engine, or looking for the exhaust position!

• Founder
12 minutes ago, twopointnine said:

I like the look of it, but is it just me or do other members have difficulty differentiating between the newer Caymans (981 onwards) and the 911 family? I find myself looking for the Cayman badge (and some are now just badged Porsche), looking inside for an engine, or looking for the exhaust position!

The 991 is huge, first differentiating factor I'd notice.  

I'm sure the new 718 will grow on me....

981 rear is nicer looking in the flesh than the 718. I went to the Boxster launch Friday, didn't like the sticky uppey "PORSCHE" at the back, then left behind a 981 which looked much simpler and less contrived. 981 rear lights blend into spoiler which is now a mini duck bill affair. See here...

Front end looked no different, other than centre uprights to splitter leaning the wrong way.

They started a 718 in the showroom a couple of times... yeauuuukkkkkk!!!

Edited by DJMC
  • Like 1

I've been on the configatator for a while and there are some nice new additions.

The  stand out items for me were that GT Silver is no longer £1600, bit a standard metallic option.

You can option a smaller steering wheel!

Re the styling...

it's typical Porsche small potatoes isn't it? If I wanted a Cayman now, I'd be happy enough!

The only part I think is a total failure, is the sill line under the doors! It looks like a 'body kit' but I guess the right colour will hide it a bit. That just adds visual weight and height to the flanks and is just pointless fiddling!

I'm underwhelmed with the new 718 Cayman.

Lost the purposeful look at the front end, a pretty bland styling job in my opinion. Maybe the 718 GTS will spice up the look at bit.

4 pot turbo also a downer in my view........ok I know it's faster to 60 etc, etc, but the whole power delivery thing and Subaru exhaust note will take a bit of getting used to in a Cayman.

Marketing rules once again!   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like it, looks bland and bulky, not svelte like a 2seat sports car should.  Also looks bigger than a 997 in the photos.  And don't get me started on a 4-pot turbo engine. :(

3 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Great write up, it's as I feared though for the 718 - love the comment "convertible Scirocco"

...that has a fat ass too!

On 25/04/2016 at 23:10, Red5 said:

I've been on the configatator for a while and there are some nice new additions.

The  stand out items for me were that GT Silver is no longer £1600, bit a standard metallic option.

You can option a smaller steering wheel!

Re the styling...

it's typical Porsche small potatoes isn't it? If I wanted a Cayman now, I'd be happy enough!

The only part I think is a total failure, is the sill line under the doors! It looks like a 'body kit' but I guess the right colour will hide it a bit. That just adds visual weight and height to the flanks and is just pointless fiddling!

Unfortunately Sapphire Blue - my favourite - is no longer an option.  Agree about the styling - fiddling for fiddling's sake but inoffensive to my eyes.

No, surprised there  are no "distinctive" blue colours at all unless you want to pay even more for Miami blue (rather greenish) or PTS.

On 29 April 2016 at 16:04, foxmod said:

Like the look of it, but I bet it sounds pants next to a 981.....

I bet it sounds pants next to a Fiat Panda!