981 2.7 long term fuel economy

DJMC

Flicked onto my "long term" mpg reading today, after 7.5k miles. Not bad I thought...

IMAG0514.jpg

Also, typical trip back from Birmingham earlier today...

IMAG0512.jpg

Not done a brim to brim check, but pleased with the economy compared to the TTS. :sSp_bdayparty:

I wonder if I can use the extra mpg I would get to justify changing from my 987.1 :) 

I'm guessing mine is in the 23-24 area

• Founder

Easily done, I get low 30's from my 2.7 when I was commuting in it, and high 30s on a long run.  There's a big difference in real world MPG between the 2.7 and the 3.4 in my experience.  My last 3.4 and the CR both see mid 20s, i think my trip on the CR is at 24 and that was a complete hoon around Wales. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, eponymoose said:

From a Euro blatt in a 991 last summer.

2015-12-28.jpg

Judging by the average speed, that was a straight road 'blatt' at I'm guessing 150mph+ for sustained periods 

2 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Easily done, I get low 30's from my 2.7 when I was commuting in it, and high 30s on a long run.  There's a big difference in real world MPG between the 2.7 and the 3.4 in my experience.  My last 3.4 and the CR both see mid 20s, i think my trip on the CR is at 24 and that was a complete hoon around Wales. 

Have to agree.  You  can certainly get 35+ out of the (981) 3.4 on a long run, but 40 + would require 50 mph Specs cameras for a lot of the journey. I've had 30 or so over 9k miles, but it's very variable - low 20s hooning is pretty normal.

24 minutes ago, bcr5784 said:

Have to agree.  You  can certainly get 35+ out of the (981) 3.4 on a long run, but 40 + would require 50 mph Specs cameras for a lot of the journey. I've had 30 or so over 9k miles, but it's very variable - low 20s hooning is pretty normal.

Strangely, I've heard that steady speeds of 80-85 mph don't really affect the 981 2.7 fuel economy compared to, say, 70 mph cruising. It doesn't make any sense, but I suspect it's true. 

As for high mpg being shameful (I realise moose is japing), I think it shows good driving style and certainly saves on wear and tear. Can't understand folk who tear up to, say, a roundabout then slam on their brakes behind other traffic. Wastes fuel, discs, pads, tyres. I always try to estimate when the last vehicle will clear the entrance to the roundabout and judge my arrival so that I don't have to brake at all. This means I can power through and continue the fluidity of my journey rather than stopping/starting all the time. Just one example of economical driving. 

Let's face it, most of the time in a daily driver like mine you can't make any great progress in today's traffic, so when faced with this why try and fight against it?

Just because I'm in a Porsche doesn't mean I always have to hoon around, although I do my fair share to enjoy the car when roads permit and it's safe to do so.

I do think there is a kind of social pressure to "perform" all the time when in a Porsche or other performance car, but I resist it. 

10 hours ago, DJMC said:

Strangely, I've heard that steady speeds of 80-85 mph don't really affect the 981 2.7 fuel economy compared to, say, 70 mph cruising. It doesn't make any sense, but I suspect it's true. 

As for high mpg being shameful (I realise moose is japing), I think it shows good driving style and certainly saves on wear and tear. Can't understand folk who tear up to, say, a roundabout then slam on their brakes behind other traffic. Wastes fuel, discs, pads, tyres. I always try to estimate when the last vehicle will clear the entrance to the roundabout and judge my arrival so that I don't have to brake at all. This means I can power through and continue the fluidity of my journey rather than stopping/starting all the time. Just one example of economical driving. 

Let's face it, most of the time in a daily driver like mine you can't make any great progress in today's traffic, so when faced with this why try and fight against it?

Just because I'm in a Porsche doesn't mean I always have to hoon around, although I do my fair share to enjoy the car when roads permit and it's safe to do so.

I do think there is a kind of social pressure to "perform" all the time when in a Porsche or other performance car, but I resist it. 

I have to say I've found that high speed cruising  doesn't affect economy as much as you might expect - certainly nothing like the power taken to overcome air resistance (which is proportional to v cubed) would lead you to expect.  And regarding economical driving , much of the time, traffic conditions dictate the speed I can drive, so if I can't drive as quickly I might like I  focus my attention on driving economically.  Driving skills take a number of forms, and driving economically is as valid as any other.  In any case driving economically requires you to plan ahead and keeps you focussed which is all good.

9 hours ago, eponymoose said:

Disagree entirely.

You're a long time dead and you won't lie on your deathbed wishing you'd saved a bit of extra wear and tear.

These cars are built to have the snot driven out of them and they are at their best having the snot driven out of them. If you don't drive the snot out of them at every reasonable opportunity, what's the bloody point - spend the next 10, 20, 30, 40 years saving your tyres and fuel so that you can be dead for eternity? No thanks, personally. Drive, drive, drive until you drop.

I've done 35,000 miles in the last 18 months or so in my 987 and constantly find opportunities to drive the snot out of my car. Sometimes it takes a bit of effort - avoid motorways, avoid A roads, find lesser used routes - and it doesn't always work out, but it's so worth it.

Moreover, it's not a waste of fuel and tyres and pads, what a bizarre attitude. It's a pleasure to burn the fuel and lean on the tyres and worth every single penny. That's because I love driving, plain and simple. So the idea that driving harder is a waste is a total anathema. If you prefer to drive in a manner that's super gentle on fuel and tyres fair enough, if that's what gives you pleasure, fair enough, though these aren't really the right cars for that. But if you love driving and would push a bit harder but for fear of wear or using a bit of fuel, for goodness sake don't do that to save a few pennies!

Absolutely none of this has anything to do with any social pressure, which again I have absolutely no concept of as indicated above and find to be a very odd idea. In an ideal world, there would be any other cars on the road at all and if I do happen to be somewhat over the posted limited, I'd far rather to not be observed. If anything, the social pressure is in precisely the opposite direction - social pressure to drive slower from non enthusiasts who don't understand the concepts of appropriate and inappropriate speed and how disconnected those things may be from the posted limit.

You sir sound like a true petrol head, couldn't agree more with that! 

13 hours ago, bcr5784 said:

I have to say I've found that high speed cruising  doesn't affect economy as much as you might expect - certainly nothing like the power taken to overcome air resistance (which is proportional to v cubed) would lead you to expect.  And regarding economical driving , much of the time, traffic conditions dictate the speed I can drive, so if I can't drive as quickly I might like I  focus my attention on driving economically.  Driving skills take a number of forms, and driving economically is as valid as any other.  In any case driving economically requires you to plan ahead and keeps you focussed which is all good.

I find a mixture of driving economically when there's little other choice, and having a blast when there is, gives the best balanced approach to driving pleasure.

If you live somewhere with empty roads and no other road users I'd agree, go with the "driving the snot out of it" mentality. But few do.

18 hours ago, eponymoose said:

I live in central Bath and 90% of my miles are in the south of England.

You just need to make more effort or more likely you aren't that bothered about driving when it gets right down to it. Leicestershire is hardly central London.

Yes sir, right away sir.

Last word

I say chaps, could you take your bickering back to PH please. It's par for the course there but we're trying to nurture a nicer atmosphere here.

4 minutes ago, DJMC said:

I say chaps, could you take your bickering back to PH please. It's par for the course there but we're trying to nurture a nicer atmosphere here.

I was trying to defend your corner!

1 minute ago, bcr5784 said:

I was trying to defend your corner!

...and many thanks for that, but whilst we happen to agree with each other in this thread I sense another opportunity for you to lock horns with moose, as so often happens on PH.

Constantly arguing with him just encourages him to come back again with another scathing post, and the more posts he posts, the further downward any thread to which he "contributes" spirals.

4 minutes ago, DJMC said:

...and many thanks for that, but whilst we happen to agree with each other in this thread I sense another opportunity for you to lock horns with moose, as so often happens on PH.

Constantly arguing with him just encourages him to come back again with another scathing post, and the more posts he posts, the further downward any thread to which he "contributes" spirals.

I resist responding to most of his arrogant posts suggesting that his view of driving is the only valid one - but there comes a time when his one-dimensional view of what road driving is about needs to be challenged.  I may not share the methodology that Police Class 1 drivers, economy demons, or (even) IAM instructors adopt - but to suggest that they don't care about driving  (or have real skill) is simply crass.

6 minutes ago, bcr5784 said:

I resist responding to most of his arrogant posts suggesting that his view of driving is the only valid one - but there comes a time when his one-dimensional view of what road driving is about needs to be challenged.  I may not share the methodology that Police Class 1 drivers, economy demons, or (even) IAM instructors adopt - but to suggest that they don't care about driving  (or have real skill) is simply crass.

Having an opinion is fine. Agreeing to disagree is fine. But...

"...you're doing it wrong"

"...shameful"

"...what a bizarre attitude"

"...you need to make more effort"

"...you aren't that bothered about driving"

Pure despotism. 

• Administrators

This thread is way off topic now, I'm closing it. 

Some of you really can't help yourself when it comes to the last word can you.  

• Tom locked this topic