Chaps,

I'm stumbling around trying to fix something...  Can you help?

I'm popping over to Le Mans for the 24 hours in a couple of weeks.  So in preparation I was checking out how to switch my lights over from Normal to travel mode (Left to Right hand Road driving).  The manual says that there is a switch inside the Headlight module with a T/O next to it - apparently you  just switch it over and it works...  So that's the theory.

In practice, I can't find the bloody switch...  Took my clusters out (oooher!), took that back off, and no switch could be found.  I've got a 987.2 with PDLS (bi-xenon), so maybe that's the issue... What am I looking for?

Oh lordy... The 5 minute job now takes 24 hours.

Your help would be much appreciated!

Banger

2 minutes ago, CaymanDave said:

I didn't think the PDLS version had the switch...?

Hi CaymanDave,

Um, OK, so how do I switch the lights over?  :sCh_reader:The manual is a terrible mess....

Thanks for your help,

Banger

• Founder

I think they do all have a switch, but i've never bothered on any of my trips on the continent, mainly because the switch doesn't move the lights it just blocks off one side of the beam pattern and you end up with even more rubbish headlights than normal.  

Will you be doing much driving at night Banger?  If not then I certainly wouldn't bother adjusting them.  But as I recall the tiny lever is above the top of the tip of the yellow warning triangle on the back of the headlight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

Will you be doing much driving at night Banger?  If not then I certainly wouldn't bother adjusting them.

Hi Beanoir,

Yes, we are travelling late on the Thursday before Le Mans, and Late on the Sunday following the end of the race (Last Ferry of the day).  I think I'll have another go at finding the lever tomorrow and see if I can switch them.  If not, I'll just have to use Black masking tape - old school fix!  

Cheers for your help,

Banger

• Founder
35 minutes ago, Bingles said:

Hi Beanoir,

Yes, we are travelling late on the Thursday before Le Mans, and Late on the Sunday following the end of the race (Last Ferry of the day).  I think I'll have another go at finding the lever tomorrow and see if I can switch them.  If not, I'll just have to use Black masking tape - old school fix!  

Cheers for your help,

Banger

Ok.

Careful what you stick on your lens with Xenons though, you don't want a bit of old sticky tape to burn and damage your lens.  I'd go with some decent ones that mention being Xenon/HID safe.  

Be good fun though, it was the first Euro trip I did in my old Cayman S, took the 'scenic' route on the way down and it was awesome.  

i've never worried about deflectors for driving in France/Italy/Germany etc and never been flashed or had a problem with the local law enforcement.  

Not sure how much this helps but I happened to be at my local OPC a while back when a guy collected his Cayman R. The next day he was driving to France. The mechanic had to come out and use a special tool from the tool kit to release each light in turn. Each light unit was then removed from the car and a device on the side of the light unit was adjusted (I think it was basically a lever). The light units were then put back. 

This is car was not bi-xenon and I was told the 981 cars have a cabin switch to do the same thing (much easier!). 

Hope there is is some sort of help in this.

Mick

Im off to Le Mans too in my R so this was a well timed thread !  Had seen in the manual about a switch for euro driving but not had cause to use it yet. A cabin switch would have been perfect.

Is it a 'pull' if your not running the headlight adapters even if just driving in daylight?  Never had trouble with it in many euro adventures but wouldn't want to give the gendarmes an excuse to fine me.

12 hours ago, Masher said:

Not sure how much this helps but I happened to be at my local OPC a while back when a guy collected his Cayman R. The next day he was driving to France. The mechanic had to come out and use a special tool from the tool kit to release each light in turn. Each light unit was then removed from the car and a device on the side of the light unit was adjusted (I think it was basically a lever). The light units were then put back. 

This is car was not bi-xenon and I was told the 981 cars have a cabin switch to do the same thing (much easier!). 

Hope there is is some sort of help in this.

Mick

Thanks Mick,

My lights are the Bi-Xenon with Dynamic Cornering Function, so I think they are different.  I spoke to Porsche in Cardiff today who told me that my particular car doesn't have the switch...  I don't do anything, I just drive the car as the lights don't need altering to drive on the continent.  So problem solved!  :-)

I'm not sure how much I believe them, but I'll go with it and take a roll of black tape with me, just in case I get stopped.

Regards

Banger

5 hours ago, MJ said:

Im off to Le Mans too in my R so this was a well timed thread !  Had seen in the manual about a switch for euro driving but not had cause to use it yet. A cabin switch would have been perfect.

Is it a 'pull' if your not running the headlight adapters even if just driving in daylight?  Never had trouble with it in many euro adventures but wouldn't want to give the gendarmes an excuse to fine me.

Thanks MJ,

Are your lights the same as mine? the Bi-Xenon with Dynamic Cornering Function?    If they are then as I put in the above post,  I spoke to Porsche in Cardiff today who told me that my particular car doesn't have the switch...  I don't do anything, I just drive the car as the lights don't need altering to drive on the continent.  So problem solved!  :-)

I'm not sure how much I believe them, but I'll go with it and take a roll of black tape with me, just in case I get stopped.

When are you off to Le Mans?  And are you camping?

Chaps,

I didn't think Porsche in Cardiff were correct after I called them, so - I've just taken out my lights again - and I've solved it!  Yay!  

There is a tiny little folded angle next to a black mounting bracket.  It's on the outside edge of the light towards the transverse pivot...  I've added a photo for clarity.  The bit of metal that you "Switch" or move is highlighted in the red rectangle.  The photo is taken from the rear of the driver's side headlight...

I hope this helps someone.  I'm going to telephone Porsche again tomorrow and tell them that they are wrong!

LOL

Take care all!

Banger

IMG_3232.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Dave said:

Excellent! 

Mind if I put this in the Technical FAQ section Banger?

Sure, that's cool with me

Banger

• Like 1

cheers for the info Bangers. Will take a look

Im heading to LM on the Friday and staying at Lycians Porsche curves site. Red Cayman R, if you see me give me a wave :)

That's assuming the French stop roadblocking the petrol refineries :(

8 hours ago, MJ said:

cheers for the info Bangers. Will take a look

Im heading to LM on the Friday and staying at Lycians Porsche curves site. Red Cayman R, if you see me give me a wave :)

That's assuming the French stop roadblocking the petrol refineries :(

Hey MJ,

That's great!  I'm at Porsche Curves too, but the Travel Destinations site - I think it's just across the track from the Lycians site.  I'm in a Black Edition heading over on Thursday evening.

Really getting excited now...

Maybe see you there,

Banger