CR Short Shift Kit

I'd like to fit a short shift kit to my CR, but talking to my local OPC parts dept (Byfleet), they say that there isn't an OE short shift that's approved for the CR. I thought that the short shift was originally available as a factory option, so there would have been a part available. Does anyone have one fitted, or have a part no?

Cheers

Ian

• Founder

Nothing is approved to fit the CR from my experience, OPCs won't even retro fit the CR factory sports exhaust (PSE) to a CR, they will supply the correct parts for you, but won't fit them because a workshop memo/manual (whatever they call them) was never issued, so they won't do it. 

There is no reason why a 987.2 short shift kit wont fit a CR and apparently they are quite easy to fit yourself. 

@@carnewal can probably help with supplying the correct part for you, send him a message on here and I'm sure he'll be as helpful as he always is

Yes, I've gone with the 987.2 shifter (997.424.983.00) - £280 and I can pick it up on Saturday. If I get a chance I'll fit it this weekend.

• Like 1

I had a SS kit retro fitted to my CR at Chester OPC without any problems. Part number was 997.424.983.00 £190 plus VAT on 7/3/14

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 16:13, ian964 said:

Yes, I've gone with the 987.2 shifter (997.424.983.00) - £280 and I can pick it up on Saturday. If I get a chance I'll fit it this weekend.

Well, I fiitted the short shift yesterday - it took a couple of hours and was reasonably straightforward following the excellent step-by-step guide here http://billswebspace.com/Porsche987ShortShiftDIY . You do need to move the passenger footwell subwoofer first to be able to get to the front of the centre console - again there are details on how to do this on this page https://cai-store.com/pages/997-boxster-cayman-radio-installation . Also, the CR carbon buckets are a bit wider at the shoulders than the normal seats, so you need to tilt them forward to be able to lift the center conslole up fully. I didn't need to completely remove the centre console (or disconnect its wiring) - just tilting it forwards and tying to the rear view mirror gave enough clearance to get to the front mounting nuts for the shift unit.

I'm very pleased with the end result - the shift is about 20-30% shorter and feels a lot more precise.  An added bonus is that the gear knob doesn't obscure the Sport and PSE indicator lights now!

Edited by ian964
  • Like 1