New Top Gear

987Monkey

Ok, so who watched it last night? What do we think...? A bit stiff? Classic TG? 

Worth watching Top Gear Extra also on BBC iPlayer, Chris Harris co-presenting that show.  

Typical Chris Evan's,  prancing about loving his own voice.  Glad the show is back but from first show it needs more to be as good as last Presenters.   Did however enjoy the Extra Gear on the BBC iPlayer.

I havent seen the extra gear thing yet, I watched the new show last night and wasnt too impressed. I'll watch it again next week, to see if it improves, but if it stays like this then I probably wont bother recording it if Im out.
Chris Evans is, IMHO, trying too hard to be funny (and the same as Clarkson), Matt leBland (appropriate typo so I left it in :) ) was better than I thought he was going to be but seemed very stilted at times. I had hoped that the beeb would have taken the opportunity to make some changes, I know they couldnt go too far from the original at first but I'd hoped for some uniqueness

Evans' constant high pitched screech was enough to make my ears bleed. I won't watch again. RIP Top Gear.

• Like 1

• Founder

It certainly it didn't make me 'a bit stiff' Monkey! ;) 

I get you though, serious lack of chemistry between the 2 presenters, and even watching the Extra today it was painful seeing Chris Harris (who I've always enjoyed) trying to read from an auto cue. 

So yes, perhaps 'stiff' is correct, all very unnatural that's for sure.  

Anybody watched the trailer for the Grand Tour (Clarkson, May, Hammond) or whatever it's called? 

Disappointing 1st show, seemed rather disjointed with no logical progression through the items

Hopefully it will get better with practice, and some more interesting cars

The Extra Gear show was a lot better. Sabine is a hoot, she should present more of the main show

Much better last night although Evans still grates.

Think Button would be a great presenter on there, maybe one for the future ? Such a natural behind the wheel and can effortlessly talk and drive at the same time.

Thought Jordan was a good sport, despite obviously being setup as the 'buffoon' of the bunch.

The star in a rallycross car bit though was awful and needs canning or totally revamping sharpish.

Not sure if I'm lucky or not but I'm off to see TG being filmed on Wednesday, should be interesting anyway!

I enjoyed this weeks offering much more than the last. Matt seemed to be relaxing a bit, Chris was less shouty (but still too loud and abrasive) and the features seemed to be just generally 'better'.
I quite like the rallycross idea instead of just a tarmac circuit
It'll be nice to hear first hand if any of the comments made recently are true, such as canned laughter, retakes with directors and staff guiding responses from the audience etc

3 hours ago, Madmoggy said:

It'll be nice to hear first hand if any of the comments made recently are true, such as canned laughter, retakes with directors and staff guiding responses from the audience etc

Oh yes, loads of this. I have a client who went to the old TG and she was there around EIGHT hours whilst they did takes, re-takes, faffing around...

Be prepared for a long day.

I didn't bother to watch or record the 2nd show. When it gets rave reviews I may have another look.

Agree, definitely better this week and was quite enjoyable.  But it doesn't feel right without some close to the bone commentary I've decided, a bit like a chicken madras with no curry powder in.

• Like 1

I was expecting it to be pretty dire from the outset and wasn't disappointed by the first show at all, Evans presents it like it's TFi Friday, Big Breakfast, Don't Forget Your Toothbrush etc etc... which is too much for most viewers who probably didn't expect that style. 

It was always going to be a tough gig and get a major bashing from the motoring world. 

The surprise for me was just how much I liked Matt Le Blanc... I was sure he'd be awful, but he appears to be able to drive reasonably well and has a dry sense of humour which I quite like.

The second show was much better and I do think Evans does take on board the public voices and changes his style to suit, so it may take a few weeks to settle in?   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 987Monkey said:

Agree, definitely better this week and was quite enjoyable.  But it doesn't feel right without some close to the bone commentary I've decided, a bit like a chicken madras with no curry powder in.

Agreed, it's just not the same :( 

I am struggling to like the new show but was getting a bit bored with the old format. They just seem to be trying too hard to be old Top Gear but with new people. Chris Evans is a big car fan and has the money to buy some beautiful cars but I just don't like him reviewing a car, Clarkson although annoying in his own way, was a motoring journalist for years beforehand and Matt le Blanc for an actor has such a monotone presentation. I hope it will improve as I enjoyed it as an entertainment program,

• Founder

I do hope Eddie Jordon isn't a regular feature, he's a bigger pillock than Evans.  I actually thought LeBlanc has been ok in the features, it's just the studio where he seems wooden and doesn't compliment Evans at all well.  

After my visit yesterday this is pretty much a copy and paste from a post I made over on PistonHeads:

My thoughts on both the experience and the current TG state of play:

If you go, be prepared for lots of queueing, well organised but takes almost 2 hours from the moment you get out of your car till you walk in the studio. Then standing all afternoon for another few hours, no bad thing, just one of those things.
Eat something when you park (decent burger van parked up), there is no opportunity to get food after that. They were giving out free bottles of water which in this weather was very well received.
Get there in plenty of time, we saw probably about 20 cars turned away (they over subscribe each event to ensure it is full)

Now for the show:
CE seems taller in real life! 
I really felt the pressure in the studio, it seemed a bit edgy, noone seemed relaxed. CE kept making a point about everyone in the audience to carry on talking (while they weren't filming), in a joking way though. CE wandered round constantly talking or singing, it looked like he was full of nervous energy and it was his way of releasing it.
MLB looked nervous but in a different way, he more or less clammed up between shoots and said very little. Probably just his way though, he just didn't look comfortable at all.
CE and MLB did a roadtrip piece comparing Rolls Royces in West Ireland, looked well shot to be fair.
CH and MLB did a piece on there about the BMW M2, both came across as really wooden, it just felt uncomfortable.
They kept having to stop CH's head from shining to much on camera !
RR did a decent bit about getting a Jag to the Geneva Car show in 13 hours from Coventry.
Disappointed there was no SIARXC bit, the celebs bit was going to be filmed another time.

A decent enough day, I get the feeling tickets are a lot easier to get now and worth going just for the experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'm glad Chris Evans has quit - he just wasn't very good. Matt is ok though and Chris Monkey Harris should get more airtime too. 

My my idea to revamp the star in a reasonably priced car:

give the star a decently fast car - whichever Manufacturer wants to throw one at it will do. It would be fun to see stars in something with some actual oomph. Then start the lap with STIG in a cheap, slow car. He has to catch the star before the end of the lap. With his racing knowledge of lines and braking points, he should have no trouble catching all but the bravest......

what do you think?

Kai