Bye CR, a tough act to follow.

I get throttle blipping in my 981 2.7 PDK in Sport mode (no Sport Chrono), which is fun, although the manual gear lever shift is the "wrong way round" but then I don't know any different so it's fine for me. Great fun with the gear lever as you say. I do wonder why the cruise lever on the 718 is still push for faster, pull for slower though?

On my wife's Audi it's up for faster, down for slower, so who knows (or cares?).

"4 pot turbo sounded OK."

6 pot N/A sounds FANTASTIC! My number one favourite thing about my 981. Did you not like it in your R?

Are you sure...?

1 hour ago, DJMC said:

.....I do wonder why the cruise lever on the 718 is still push for faster, pull for slower though?

On my wife's Audi it's up for faster, down for slower, so who knows (or cares?)..

I regularly drive an Audi and a Cayman with cruise control and swapping between the two is a pain as I often end up pressing reset when I want resume or reducespeed when I want to increase speed, and with the Audi control on the left I've been known to flash the headlights when meaning to resume which can appear more aggressive to other drivers than operating the Cayman windscreen washers when meaning to increase speed. :)

I'm certainly hoping my new 718 CS PDK is a worthy successor to my superb CR.

I've gone for a "driver's" spec in the hope that it marries well with the chassis tuning developments and power delivery characteristics of the new 4 pot turbo.

Meantime, as you say I am currently "Porsche-less". I have my daily driver Abarth 595 Competizione 180 bhp to play with. It's also a turbo 4 pot, albeit only 1346cc but decidedly frisky with it, so I am well practised in driving turbo engines.

Should be interesting to see how the 718 CS compares with the sublime normally aspirated flat six. I'll be reporting back with an honest appraisal you can count on that.

Brian

Interesting that you should mention PDK improvements.  I certainly noticed that the box was better on the 991.2 I drove - slicker and smoother particularly 1st to 2nd than my 981S - but I didn't think the box on the 718 (non S)  I drove was actually any better - perhaps a heavier flywheel is necessary for the 4  which might be responsible.  Reversing the levers action in manual and assigning the steering wheel flippers to history was long overdue and very welcome.  Pity they didn't get rid of creep as they have on the GT3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a look at this car at the Aberdeen OPC and it's certainly a lovely spec - caused me to do some significant 'man maths' to go from a Gen 2 base model to my current 'R'. 

Hope someone buys it and enjoys it, that would be three Rs in Aberdeen if it stays here I think!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brian -. Really hope you enjoy your new car.  What did you do with your spyder alloys in the end?  I'm looking for a spare set and I remember that you were thinking of selling yours?

My Spyder alloys may yet come up for sale. They are fitted with nearly new Michelin Cup 2's.

If I get my new car in January 2017, I am arranging a proper test drive of the new CS PDK before the final decision, I'll check to make sure they fit the 718 CS without any problems.

My Spyder alloys with Cup 2's may be fitted to my new car for an occasional track day in 2017. They will come up for sale at some point though.

Of course I'll post the sale in the Forum. 

Brian     

Good to know Brian - please do let me know if you are planning on selling them.  Mine have just had MPSC2s put on as well but I'd like a second set of wheels to put winters on.

Hi Brian I have also ordered a new 718 from Porsche Aberdeen just wonder how long it was till you got your build date etc  Iv still not heard a thing ? Got my email regarding Silverstone experience a couple of weeks ago

That's interesting. I visited Porsche Aberdeen today and checked out the new Miami Blue 718 Cayman S in the showroom. Looks fabulous. Big upgrade in cabin quality.

I'm next in line for the build slot I was told. Estimated early November. I'll not take delivery until January 2017.

I asked about the PEC Cayman Experience at Silverstone, and was told I should hear from them soon. I'll take that opportunity asap. Good to hear you have already had contact from PEC.

Brian        

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had the build slot confirmed for 11th November. Delivery due mid December.

Have a weekend test drive of demo 718 Cayman S PDK coming up on Saturday 5th November.

I shall be reporting on my initial impressions next week. Coming from 30k miles and 4 years with a CR manual, the new 718 will have a tough act to follow.

The new car is for a different purpose in my life compared to the much missed CR manual.

Brian 

• Like 1