Car wont start!!! Help!

PhilCS

Hoping somebody can help me before I have to head to the dealers to resolve, but my car has been playing up recently and finally last night the car took about 10 minutes before I could get it started.  The electics all work when I turn the key, but the engine won't turn over at all and the 'depress clutch' warning comes up on the display....as I said after a while it started but only after pumping the clutch and keep turning the key.   

Anybody experienced this before?  Seems like a dodgy connection...?

Clutch switch needing replaced/adjusted? Rather than pumping the clutch, have you tried absolutely burying it in the carpet to engage the microswitch before turning the key?

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, have ordered a new switch online today from Jasmine, cost me £28 so hopefully have it by the w'end and get it fitted.  

There were 2 different switches so hopefully I got the right one! 

• Founder
22 hours ago, PhilCS said:

Thanks chaps, have ordered a new switch online today from Jasmine, cost me £28 so hopefully have it by the w'end and get it fitted.  

There were 2 different switches so hopefully I got the right one! 

2 different switches?  Have you got a link to the one you bought?  

well it's done now - spent yesterday morning out there, but my god what a PIA it was! 

Cheers for for your help though guys, nice cheap fix in the end, was worrying before it was going to be costing me a fortune. 

Cheers

Phil

• 1 year later...

I'm currently grappling with this starting issue. It turns out that there are two clutch switches : 1) the obvious one - a £15 part and 2) a less accessible one - a £25 part. No 1 has been changed with no improvement to the starting. No2 is about to be changed and I'll report on whether this does the job.

Porsche does know about this problem, but don't let on about it readily. The second switch is also difficult to locate.

Edited by 987owner

Those switches (No.2 style!) don't last long either, I went through 2 on the last car.  I ended up doing the switch bypass method and eliminating the problem forever! 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 16:26, Cay-Man said:

Those switches (No.2 style!) don't last long either, I went through 2 on the last car.  I ended up doing the switch bypass method and eliminating the problem forever! 

This^^^^

If this one goes again, I'll be bypassing it. I assume that it isn't important for anything else. It actually seems a bit of a pointless switch to me.

For those who really want to change this beastie at some point, the part number is 997 613 109 50 and its pointless title is pedal switch clutch interlock. Perhaps it was a slow day in the design office, so they thought they'd have a laugh or maybe they had shares in The Pointless Switch Company GmBH. As far as I can tell, this is a relatively common problem. This one started playing up at 18000 miles and I sorted it just now at 36000. Not German engineering's finest hour - perhaps made at going home time (11:30am) by an Alfa Romeo supplier out of papier mache and a fag packet lining. 

It’s well worth doing if it does come to it.  Only real consideration is remembering that you don’t need to put your foot on the clutch to start the car, so if you have a habit of leaving your car in gear when you park just remember.    

• 3 weeks later...