What made you buy a Cayman

PhilCS

A friend of mine is a huge fan of the marque and all his chat led to drives in a couple of cars. My CR came up for sale locally at sensible money and a test drive sealed the deal.

Saw a white one on the motorway. Had a strange tingling sensation down my spine and said to myself "I HAVE to get one of those!"

Some research, nothing to put me off, an extended test drive at my local OPC... and here we are!

Using it in manual mode again today (PDK), using the gear lever. High revs, throttle blips on down change. Lovely! Try it!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Boxster and was following the Spyder thread on PCGB forum. I didn't fancy a Spyder but did like the spec and the Cayman R seemed ideal. Took a long time to find the right one but I'm still pleased with mine and the spec so it was worth the wait. For me it's a keeper :)

• Like 1

Pretty easy answer. The mid-engined drivability and smooth lines of the 981 combined with Porsche's reputation for producing quality cars. I've owned nine Porsches including a 2011 987 Spyder, which was a favorite. I've loved my 911s but there's nothing like the handling and agility of a mid-engine design. 

20151114_150249.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, low2ground said:

Pretty easy answer. The mid-engined drivability and smooth lines of the 981 combined with Porsche's reputation for producing quality cars. I've owned nine Porsches including a 2011 987 Spyder, which was a favorite. I've loved my 911s but there's nothing like the handling and agility of a mid-engine design. 

20151114_150249.jpg

Same silver as mine, and... I named my firm whilst standing on the Beach in Clearwater in 1998, watching the sunset. Our logo is themed to match!...

411994202.jpg

Edited by DJMC
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, DJMC said:

Same silver as mine, and... I named my firm whilst standing on the Beach in Clearwater in 1998, watching the sunset. Our logo is themed to match!...

411994202.jpg

Small world, DMJC. I live in Tarpon Springs and operate financial planning company in Clearwater -- Countryside to be exact. The photo of my GTS was taken on the USF campus in downtown St. Petersburg a couple weeks ago. Cheers!

50 minutes ago, DJMC said:

411994202.jpg

Small world, DJMC. I live in Tarpon Springs and own/operate a financial planning company in Clearwater -- Countryside to be exact. The photo of my GTS was taken on the USF campus in downtown St. Petersburg a couple weeks ago. Cheers!

That is weird, as I live in the... countryside! And, prior to setting up my own firm worked for... Countrywide!

The worst meal I ever had in the US was in a restaurant called Mykonos in Tarpon Springs, maybe 5-6 years ago. We've visited Florida every year since 1997. Don't tell me... it's your favourite! :o 

I'm having a go at Porsche GB at present over small stone chips to the front face of every wheel spoke on my Carrera S Platinum wheels. How are your black ones holding up?

Edited by DJMC

I live in the East Lake area of Tarpon and, no, Mykonos is not one of my faves. I'm not a fan of Greek food in general. Tarpon Tavern is better. Black wheels holding up good so far, fingers crossed. Car only has 3,600 miles. We should hook up sometime.

BTW, sorry for the double post earlier. I'm having some difficulty with replying in quote. 

2 hours ago, low2ground said:

I live in the East Lake area of Tarpon and, no, Mykonos is not one of my faves. I'm not a fan of Greek food in general. Tarpon Tavern is better. Black wheels holding up good so far, fingers crossed. Car only has 3,600 miles. We should hook up sometime.

BTW, sorry for the double post earlier. I'm having some difficulty with replying in quote. 

We drove through Clearwater last year. Rented a Black Camaro (no kids with us for the first time, yay!) but not this year. Next time we're over you can take me for a spin and we'll maybe try the Tavern?

• Like 1

• Founder
On 15 December 2015 at 20:30:26, PR36 said:

The reason i bought a high mileage gen 1 cayman s was because i read about its bullet proof engine and faultless reliability on another forum that i won't mention but rhymes with mist on your heads :sAng_stirthepot:

No idea what you mean....  

Always wanted a 911, finally had a chance to flog my daily drive and buy a cheap runaround as well as a weekend car. We went and saw a few 911's and test drove a few, then I started looking at the Cayman. Pound for pound they just represented far better value for money, I could get a much newer and better spec one than the sort of 911's I was looking at. After test driving a few I realised it had to be a Cayman, they drive much sweeter and didn't feel as 'violent' as a 911. I also love their uniqueness, you just don't see many of them, we drove into a car park the other day and this nipper's jaw dropped as he shouted "oooo Porsche" to his dad, it made me smile :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Always wanted a 928, when I eventually got one, it was not the car I had hoped.

So swapped for a 996 C4 - much better

But eventually the old 996 needed replacement. Plenty of choices but it had to be a Porsche - So much of my social life revolves around the TIPEC group in Bristol, anything else was unthinkable

When the 981 GTS was announced, the decision was not difficult