What made you buy a Cayman

PhilCS

• Founder
14 minutes ago, Krobar said:

My first new car; tried an RS3, Golf R, M135 and A45; the Cayman was the only one that felt special. Also had a Viper Green 911 on my wall as a kid.

So let's see it then! :)

20 hours ago, Krobar said:

My first new car; tried an RS3, Golf R, M135 and A45; the Cayman was the only one that felt special. Also had a Viper Green 911 on my wall as a kid.

Must have been a fairly large room?

Is your 981 a PDK? Colour, spec? C'mon... spill!!

coming from the old school air cooled 911 scene, to me the Cayman is the natural evolution of the old car. Size, compactness, agility and power all feel familiar. As soon as I sat in a white R for a test drive I could feel the DNA of my old 911 at play, unlike the 991 which to me is more like a heavy over-sized grand tourer than an agile sports car now.

I had initially intended to get myself one of the 2009 'Sport' edition Cayman S,  but As soon as I saw an R in guards red, and watched a few youtube vids of R's in action, I was smitten :) 

• Like 1

In 2001 I sold my 1988 3.2 Carrera and apart from a Honda S2000, I've mainly driven around in sub £2000 early MX5's ever since due to mortgage, kids etc. My wife always promised that once we were in a better financial position I should get a decent car again. I first saw a couple of Caymans in a car park in 2007 and its always been in the back of my mind that this was the one to go for. A fair bit of internet searching over the past year confirmed it for me. Took the plunge just before Christmas with a 2006 987.1 CS with the spec. I wanted; Sport Chrono, PMS SatNav, Leather package, rear wiper, 19" wheels, crests, service history and sub 40,000 miles. 

Very happy so far. Will be servicing it soon so have my fingers crossed!

• Like 1

I bought my Cayman for a variety of reasons, but have always wanted one since they came out.  I like 2 seater coupes, my first was an exige (too hardcore for my needs), my second was a 350z which was just a bit heavy and more of a GT car than a sports car.  The cayman is a bit of an in between.  I would have loved a cayman R but it was too much money for me, so then it came down to 2.9 or 3.4 gen 2 car.

The Chris Harris video certainly convinced me that a Cayman was the right car for me, but then the following 2 Evo articles backed up that a 2.9 would be sufficient for my needs

This was particuarly relevant, as I had a 350z at the time, and although it's comparing the 370z they are very similar cars.

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/cayman/14155/porsche-cayman-v-nissan-370z-gt

Then this blog made up my mind

http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Stephen-Dobie/blogs/index.cfm/2012/11/23/Nine-countries-in-a-Cayman