did this thread ever get followed up after fitting of the Carnewal system?  A road test report would be handy! especially with a youtube type vid  :)

• Founder
5 hours ago, MJ said:

did this thread ever get followed up after fitting of the Carnewal system?  A road test report would be handy! especially with a youtube type vid  :)

Yeah I posted videos and stuff on my thread in the members cars section.  

Sounds awesome, really pleased with it :) 

• 4 years later...

Hi

Costs to retro fit an Official R PSE (The R..not the S to an R) attached including the dash switch

Totals £5K with VAT.

What do you think?

1610724390_Screenshot2021-05-17at15_28_38.png.46552dc0912c5661524b4a0b07350884.png

Edited by Julian987

2 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Hi

Costs to retro fit an Official R PSE (The R..not the S to an R) attached including the dash switch

Totals £5K with VAT.

What do you think?

1610724390_Screenshot2021-05-17at15_28_38.png.46552dc0912c5661524b4a0b07350884.png

And this is the reason I will most likely be going down the Carnewal route, at least for now. 

3 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Hi

Totals £5K with VAT.

What do you think?

Yeah, I got quoted similar when I was just checking (mines already got PSE).  It's nearly twice the cost of standard PSE on an S.

1 hour ago, Meteor_CR said:

And this is the reason I will most likely be going down the Carnewal route, at least for now. 

yep but with that option you don’t get the dashboard upgrade. 

I think I’ll do it but perhaps towards end of year/next year and save up a bit. My R has a Miltek exhaust and unless I am doing something wrong but it seems to makes no sonic difference when in sports mode or not. I guess it’s just always on and inline as such (excuse my naivety with  the proper terminology but you probably get what I mean).

The sonic is ok, but it doesn’t sound like what the car suggests it should sound like. 

I imagine I’d be lucky to get scrap for the existing exhaust as it’s not magpie shiny anymore.

If I compare the costs of the official PSE vs (let’s say) a SOUL exhaust, considering shipping, import fees (perhaps also the headache of getting something that isn’t factory fitted) there isn’t much in it.

The PSE for the R must sound good right? as surely Porsche must have at the time, poured more R&D budget into their exhausts than all these 3rd party companies combined.

Not looking to annoy the neighbours, hence the desire for the factory on/off  button, but when on does it make a notable difference on your R Andy? 

Thanks

J

I had a carnewal exhaust (fitted by Gert) on a Gen 1 Boxster S. It was brilliant. Like the PSE, only really louder on full chat. You can switch it off on on by modulating the throttle. Well, almost. :)

55 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

I think I’ll do it but perhaps towards end of year/next year and save up a bit. My R has a Miltek exhaust and unless I am doing something wrong but it seems to makes no sonic difference when in sports mode or not. I guess it’s just always on and inline as such (excuse my naivety with  the proper terminology but you probably get what I mean).

The sonic is ok, but it doesn’t sound like what the car suggests it should sound like. 

I imagine I’d be lucky to get scrap for the existing exhaust as it’s not magpie shiny anymore.

If I compare the costs of the official PSE vs (let’s say) a SOUL exhaust, considering shipping, import fees (perhaps also the headache of getting something that isn’t factory fitted) there isn’t much in it.

The PSE for the R must sound good right? as surely Porsche must have at the time, poured more R&D budget into their exhausts than all these 3rd party companies combined.

Not looking to annoy the neighbours, hence the desire for the factory on/off  button, but when on does it make a notable difference on your R Andy? 

Thanks

J

Yeah, I never turn it off and the car was still too quiet with it On. Even when On it still cycles On and Off at certain speeds so within a week I'd permanently switched it On by disconnecting the controller in engine bay.

By month two I just thought #Fookit and scored a second hand pair of Soul catless headers and loaded a Softronic remap. Over here in NI neighbours don't care... It's only a weekend car though.

Sound clip:

https://www.instagram.com/p/COLju5iFY4F/?igshid=19nk2lfcqb485

Edited by Andyoz

• Founder

Crikey, thread revival! 

I priced up the R PSE exactly as above, I really couldn’t see the benefit of doing it and unless your car is a daily driver who needs to turn it off? It’s not that loud and doesn’t drone after all.  

That said, at the time I was actually quite paranoid that the Carnewal mod would de-value the car, so I had Gert source brand new R exhausts from Porsche and he modified those so I could keep the originals.  Turned out to be a waste of time, when it came to the time of selling everybody who was interested in the car wanted the Carnewal left on it, I ended up selling the originals after the car had gone.  

Besides that, the Carnewal sounds better than the PSE, not louder (passed tests on track days), just a bit more authentic 

I'd originally actually wanted an R without PSE as they were 'easier' to buy. I was going to Carnewal it as avoids the hassle of PSE actuator valves seizing etc.

Mine R turned turned up with a PSE anyway. It is handy though in my case to shut the catless headers up when on motorway cruise.

Either way, I think your starting point needs to be a stock Porsche exhaust. Most (all?) aftermarket ones don't sound 'Porsche' to me.... Can you order a none PSE exhaust for an R. Must have the 55mm bore pipe. Talk to Gert first IMO...

• Founder
14 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

Can you order a none PSE exhaust for an R. Must have the 55mm bore pipe. Talk to Gert first IMO...

Yes, that’s exactly what I did on mine. 

50 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

Yes, that’s exactly what I did on mine. 

Good to know it;s an option should my PSE ever pack it in.  I definitely think this is the one mod that won't affect R values for many buyers (if one cares about these things)...

I see pricing info here and that includes Gerts clever mod (you'd have to include for the tailpipes if you don't have them)...  http://www.carnewal.com/products/987/p87026/987-2-Carnewal-GT-exhaust-made-from-new-Cayman-R-mufflers

Edited by Andyoz

Julian...make sure OPC is definitely quoting for the 55mm bore R exhaust. Here's are the parts numbers when I was enquiring. They initially couldn't find the correct one for me as it's hardly a common parts enquiry !!

hATmbn5.png

Thank you! you read my mind as whilst I was reading everyones kind replies, I noted this 55mm thing and thought I must check that is indeed what they are quoting on. Thank you for the information!

4 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

Thank you! you read my mind as whilst I was reading everyones kind replies, I noted this 55mm thing and thought I must check that is indeed what they are quoting on. Thank you for the information!

Judging by the quoted price, I'd say it is for the R!

Edited by Andyoz