Oil consumption

14 hours ago, JimP said:

Should I be worried now...I'm looking for a Gen 2 model...? 

Just don't listen to the doom merchants and you'll be fine ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

So, Where does the oil go?

1. In the exhaust? Would you see a lot of smoke when running? (ignoring startup smoke after long standing)

2. Cats deal with it and you see no smoke?

3. RMS can this loose enough?

4. Magic?

Mine uses a bit of oil but I don't see any smoke after the first few minutes?

Cheers

57 minutes ago, brushwood69 said:

So, Where does the oil go?

1. In the exhaust? Would you see a lot of smoke when running? (ignoring startup smoke after long standing)

2. Cats deal with it and you see no smoke?

3. RMS can this loose enough?

4. Magic?

Mine uses a bit of oil but I don't see any smoke after the first few minutes?

Cheers

How much is a bit??

one of the main reason I traded mine in. 

What happens to it. Well assuming it's not a leak. 

Oil passes ses by the side of the rings from the crankcase to the combustion chamber. It's then ignite and burnt (blue smoke) I would imagine some of it is captured by the cats (pretty sure oil isn't good for the metals in the cat and shortens there serviceable life). Some will be captured(stuck) in the exhaust, hence the very black/sooted tailpipe on mine. 

Other than that I'm not sure really. Maybe some of the oil is so fine it just goes out the exhaust and you don't see it unless on very high revs. 

I'ts been like that for 3 years of my ownership. I do have a small weep on the RMS but no smoke apart from startup. The car is only used once every couple of weeks and as such does smoke for a couple of minutes at first startup. Then its clean and its this lack of evidence of continuous loss combined with any real information on what happens to the oil that leaves me in a 50:50 world where sometimes I think all is good and the loss is a lot less so maybe 1 bar per 500m and I know I burn some each time I start it up. Hey Ho

1 hour ago, brushwood69 said:

i don't think you always see blue smoke. Mine for example never made more than a small puff of smoke on start up. It wasn't leaking oil. I had a new build house with pristine red brick driveway and there wasn't a spot of oil. My thought was that at higher rpm it must be burning oil. Not at idle. 

Edited by markbarry1977
Sorry somehow my last post ended up as a quote from previous poster. Not sure how that happened.

My 2.9 has done 73k, I've done 6k and never had to top up the oil which still registers as full on the electronic oil level indicator despite the occasional blue smoke on start-up - should I be worried?

20 minutes ago, twopointnine said:

My 2.9 has done 73k, I've done 6k and never had to top up the oil which still registers as full on the electronic oil level indicator despite the occasional blue smoke on start-up - should I be worried?

No, using no oil is perfect. Boxer engines type layout can naturally have smoke on start-up especially if left for a while as the oil lays in its horizontal bores.

On 27 July 2016 at 22:02, brushwood69 said:

2 to 3 bars in 500miles

... you can buy it in bars now? Just pop a few squares into the filler. What a great idea. Saves mess when the wind catches the last trails.

On 02/08/2016 at 19:57, Cobalt Blue said:

ok, so back from NC500, 1800 miles later. No movement on oil indicator. Good result.

Averaged 28.9 mpg.

Driving like a fairy? :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 02/08/2016 at 19:57, Cobalt Blue said:

ok, so back from NC500, 1800 miles later. No movement on oil indicator. Good result.

Averaged 28.9 mpg.

More importantly how was the trip?! Photos??

The trip was great, especially the West coast. Not too much traffic.

The journey from Edinburgh to Inverness on the A9 was painfully, with average speed cameras along the entire route.P1010565.JPG

P1010539.JPG

P1010572.JPG

P1010598.JPG

P1010637.JPG

P1010556.JPG

• Like 1