Tell me about Sprint Boosters....

Cay-Man

I read about these earlier and not sure whether to invest in one or not, has anybody had any experience of them at all, so they really sharpen things up at all for cars with no Sport Chrono?

My understanding was that they just faffed with the fly-by-wire throttle signal so exactly like the throttle part of the OEM Sport Chrono. I read about an american car which went in for some work including permanently putting the car into 'sport throttle' mode. I guess a booster would work just fine of that's the effect you want but wonder if for the money, a competent electrics/remapper type vendor would be able to permanently remap your throttle response?

• Like 1

I'd read that it particularly helps remove the initial throttle lag, I like the idea that it can be switched on or off and completely removed if I'm not keen.  

I've just not read many people having fitted them though, wondered why.  

To be honest, I prefer the standard throttle pedal compared to the sport setting on my Cayman R. The std setting is much easier to be precise but the only problem with the R is that when you are NOT in sport mode it adds an extra wadge of PSM even when it is turned off by the switch. Not ideal sometimes :(

• Like 1

• Founder

I've got a sprint booster in my CR, as I don't have SC with my 'light weight race spec' (poor mans) car.  It has eliminated the flat spot for me which was the main reason I fitted it, I quite like the aggressive setting option too with a more responsive throttle, quite used to it now and it stays on that permanently and I don't have the lead plugged in either.  

The one thing I noticed is when I first got it and was playing around with the different settings, is that it takes a while to settle down overtime you change the setting, so it's probably best to find the one you like most and leave it there.  

I'd fit it again though if I had another car without the SC. 

• Like 1

i have a sprint booster on my gen 1 CS. Pound for pound one of the best mods imho, removes some of the lagginess from the throttle response and my car already has a softronic ecu map with the sport chrono settings permanently on. I use the intermediate setting as the full race was a bit too sensitive. I set it to intermediate and unplugged the switch so its permanently on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 18:21, Andy Fagan said:

To be honest, I prefer the standard throttle pedal compared to the sport setting on my Cayman R. The std setting is much easier to be precise but the only problem with the R is that when you are NOT in sport mode it adds an extra wadge of PSM even when it is turned off by the switch. Not ideal sometimes :(

that seems an odd statement :-/  In sport mode you get much better throttle response and pickup. I find if left in normal mode there is a definite lag to the throttle, like they programmed that in for your average Jo drivers who might not have the reactions to handle the sudden acceleration!

2 hours ago, MJ said:

that seems an odd statement :-/  In sport mode you get much better throttle response and pickup. I find if left in normal mode there is a definite lag to the throttle, like they programmed that in for your average Jo drivers who might not have the reactions to handle the sudden acceleration!

Not really odd at all, The sport mode is too "ON/OFF" with no in between for me. I find it much easier to balance the car without sport mode. I would say the contrary tbh.... I think they made the sport mode for the "effect" rather than any benefit to driving fast.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

I'm not even going to try to claim I understand the software coding and how it controls the pedal sensor and ECU etc, so I'm going with witchcraft.  

Question is does it minimize the initial lag in pedal movement because it's compressing everything, therefore effectively compressing the lag to a point you don't notice it.  Or, is it actually sending a signal to make something happen earlier in the pedal's travel than normal.  

However, it works, there're definitely not placebo.  I'm happy with the result and happy if you want to trial it at any time.  

Porsche sport mode is spot on for me, love it and added it to my cars if it was not on it and only ever drive with it on.

car feels laggy without it, which might be ok for the older driver ;-p

• 5 years later...
On 07/12/2015 at 14:01, Beanoir™ said:

I've got a sprint booster in my CR, as I don't have SC with my 'light weight race spec' (poor mans) car.  It has eliminated the flat spot for me which was the main reason I fitted it, I quite like the aggressive setting option too with a more responsive throttle, quite used to it now and it stays on that permanently and I don't have the lead plugged in either.  

Could you please supply a link the the booster?  Have not heard of these way out here in the New World.

16 hours ago, GroupJ said:

Could you please supply a link the the booster?  Have not heard of these way out here in the New World.

Have a look at this thread for more info, they can be picked up on ebay etc