crap headlights

Bushman

On mine, with halogen I have the option to switch on DRL in the options screen. 

If I turn DRL on in the menu, the main headlights and LED strips come on with the car running.

If I turn the switch round to side lights, then it will just have the LED strips on.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SpannerMan said:

On mine, with halogen I have the option to switch on DRL in the options screen. 

If I turn DRL on in the menu, the main headlights and LED strips come on with the car running.

If I turn the switch round to side lights, then it will just have the LED strips on.

This ;-)  If I turn the switch round to side lights, then it will just have the LED strips on.  The LED strips ARE the DRL>

Dipped bean only comes on if you turn the switch one click more

3 minutes ago, PorscheGT4 said:

This ;-)  If I turn the switch round to side lights, then it will just have the LED strips on.  The LED strips ARE the DRL>

Dipped bean only comes on if you turn the switch one click more

You can programme so the dipped beams come with the ignition, I'm sure mine did until I found the option in the 'computer'

I have fitted the new race vision today, a big improvement.

i had the older 130% ones in my older R and was not much change.

but these newer race vision are loads better, very pleased.

only 200 hours run time so they say mind you but for £24 a nice upgrade.

• Like 1

On 18/12/2016 at 15:16, SpannerMan said:

I found just upgrading to better bulbs made a significant difference.  I went with the Osram nightbreakers. 

I find Nightbreakers an improvement over standard bulbs but they seem to deteriorate quite quickly.

Edited by Pretzel
edit

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/01/2017 at 14:06, Beanoir said:

As per SpannerMan's comment, the DRL 'on' option is actually the headlights with the LED rather than just the LED alone.  DRL 'off' is just the LEDs on. 

Where is this option? 

Funnily enough, I was thinking the same thing driving down a country lane on Friday night.  From the PET, it looks like main beam is a H11 halogen bulb.  There are LED versions available but I haven't tried them.

the main beam bulb on a 987 gen 1 non bi-zenon is H9.   H7s, H9s and H11s are physically the same but with different power outputs. the best replacements I have found are fan cooled 100w 6000K (very white with slight blue tinge) cree LED bulbs called night owls. from ebay for about £20. there are several different makes but all made in the same province in China. the ones I bought have a distinctive purple anodised aluminium heat sink and chassis. bulb orientation when installing is critical to get good beams, they can be rotated 120 degrees each time on the 3 lug bayonet mount and light emission from the cree elements is not full 360 coverage as the elements are mounted back to back on a central spine.  hope this helps guys.

Hi all,

Fitted my RacingVision bulbs last weekend but I think I already had Nightbreakers in there so not much improvement.

One thing I did find is that the four screws that hold the back-plate onto the headlights are pretty rusty - has anyone replaced these with stainless versions? I would have thought that it would be pretty common for folk to do this so didn't keep one out for measuring but I've not managed to find any dimensions for them online - any clues?!

hi Dirtbiker, I think the self tapper screws are a 4mm x 16mm long  pozi drive. mine are pretty rusty too. you can buy a mixed box of A2 stainless self tappers from Screwfix that has different sizes in it,  one of which is similar to the OE headlight cover screws,

hope this helps. Steve.

• 4 months later...

Hi Flatstick. I will try to post a couple from my phone for you. not sure how much info you are going to get apart from they are extremely white and extremely bright. the dips are 6500K and the mains are 6000K. I did the front fogs too and use them as DRLs. 

I seem to be having issues posting pics to this site, tried to post my Goodwood pics yesterday but the file sizes are all too large.

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

Edited by Bushman
adding pics.

Hi, when I fitted my LED dip beams, there were several things to notice:

1. the beam pattern was unaffected - so the total reach was unchanged and would have failed the MOT if it had changed.

2. the bulbs were very much brighter which meant that you could actually see where the cutoff pattern was - which gives the impression of seeing further.

3. the colour was a lot whiter (almost bluish) which gives better colour rendition and picks up the cat-eyes better.

Overall, I thought it was a good cheap upgrade and it went through the MOT last week with no issues.

Without before/after shots photos would mean very little.

Mine 987.2 has bi xenon, the DRL's are what look like front fog lights(round) and are LED, the sidelights are thin LED strips, DRL's on with Home selected (no rear lights I think) side lights front & rear in side light mode then sidelights & headlights. 

Picture is DRL & LED strip sidelights

IMG_1390.JPG.6134c13185e18026de717a80851f9c7e.JPG

mine also has bend lighting and I discovered last night that headlights & mainbeam are HID / xenon(larger upper headlight in picture) but when main beam on second projector style lights come on but these are halogen (lower inner headlight in picture) I presume this is linked to the bend lighting.

Hi

i had the same issue as the OP i trawled the internet and discovered a much recommended company called HID4U

very helpful people and the kit was £80 which with a discount code courtesy of a google search gave me a 20% discount. The kit was delivered speedily and the fit took all of half an hour for both headlights. Everything is included and no cutting or other adjustments are required. The resulting difference is fantastic and i can see for a considerable distance now. Highly recommend a visit to the site you wont be sorry 

• Like 1