crap headlights

Bushman

• Administrators
3 hours ago, FLAT STICK said:

Head lights sorted Bushman cheers, now to sort crap side light and fogs as headlights make them look old now!!!

Dean

Knows his stuff does Bushman! 

• Like 1

cheers guys, glad I could help. Thanks for the compliment Tom

I made the mistake of replacing all the rear light bulbs with LED equivalents too. at night, the much whiter leds made all the red lenses look pink, faded and old. so apart from the reversing light, took em all back out again.  anybody want any LED bulbs lol.

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Resurrecting this thread - I’ve just ordered these (Bushmans choice) as a replacement now the nights are drawing in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371714456856?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don’t drive much in the dark (it’s only 5 miles to/from Home and the station before & after work), but the original halogen bulbs are pants. It’s noticeable when I drive our family Kia with bi-xenon lights and I can see everything far further up the road. 

I’ll report back on their (hopeful) improvement on a 987.2 over/after the wknd as I’m heading to Lancs and back some of which will be in the dark. 

Keen to hear your opinion on these! I tried some Mtec halogen bulbs (they were fine on my previous car - VW Scirocco) but were awful on the Cayman. Have just gone for the Philips Racing Vision (150% brighter) bulbs which are a lot better but they only have a life span of circa 200 hours. I would be keen to upgrade to the same LED bulbs, dependent on your feedback...

Tom

• Like 1

Nighteye bulbs arrived today.

Just fitted them, which was easy enough once I had the nerve to turn the release tool past the point of initial resistance and the awful ‘crack’ sound as the mechanism releases. Head lamp unit went back in easily afterwards, just need to take your time lining up the four ‘lugs’ in the unit with their corresponding guides in the unit ‘wells’ in the front of the nose. 

Now just need need to go drive in the dark tonight to see the difference ?? - will report back later ??.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Just been for a night drive on my usual (unlit) country A-Road commute and the difference with the nighteyes LED H7s in the dipped beams is startling.

I have a 987.2 with the ‘projector’ style halogen lamps. 

I dont think the beam projects further overall than the old halogens, but it seems to be a ‘constant’ light from right in front of the car to its cut-off point some 30 metres ahead. Whereas the halogens seemed to ‘fade’ / weaken the further out from the car.

Also the light’s lateral range really illuminated the road from edge to edge, and really reflects back well from reflective surfaces like road signs, cats eyes, bollards, runners/cyclists clothing, wildlife eyes - so I can spot anything on the verge up the road long before I’m level with it. 

I think these LEDs provide as good a degree of road illumination as the bi-xenon lights on our family diesel SUV of Korean origin and are a vast improvement on the Halogen bulbs for a mere £21. 

Hopefully they’ll last too - they come with a 3 year warranty. 

I may may invest in some of their H9s for the main beam too  on the near future. 

Great! Thanks for the feedback, think i'm going to have to go purchase a set... :D

• Like 1

I picked up a set of LEDs a few days ago.  The stock halogens suck.

I've fitted them but have yet to take a drive... (that's soon to be rectified) I'll post feedback shortly.  My frunk light has also decided to randomly stop working during this process.  Porsche ownership FTW.

What is your opinion Aaron, I’m still really impressed - I think they’re a great and cost effective way of upgrading the stock halogens. 

I’d be interested to hear if anyone has upgraded the stock H9 halogen main beams with night eyes LEDs. 

I know bushman tried tried some other brand of LED main beam, but wasn’t impressed and reverted to 100W halogens (Osram possibly?). 

It's actually really good.  The projector lenses give the same beam pattern too.  Not sure how it would turn out in the reflector main beams.

Just a question of how long they'll last! 

Hi Windy. I did try 100w blue ( all weather) H9 halogens and they lasted less than 2 weeks. with 19s, 35% sidewalls with hard and lowered springs the ultra fine elements are too delicate. I then bought H9 6000k fan cooled Nighteyes ( purple anodised chassis) and have never looked back. they are brilliant, excuse the pun. The central chassis that supports the cree cluster each side of a central post can be rotated within the bayonet mount to fine tune the light beams to the reflectors in the headlight unit. it is worth spending the extra time to do this to get the best projected light. I did mine off the car in the end,  with a jump battery pack to power both dip and mains against a large whiteboard set at various distances. got the LED bulbs from ebay, about £20. I did post about it at the time, must have been nearly a year ago. hope this helps mate. Steve

Thanks Steve,

id like to upgrade the main beams too, but I don’t know if I can be bothered with the ‘setting them up’ faff of trying the light cluster in different rotations. 

So do you think the LEDs provide as far and strong a beam (or better) as the OEM halogens from the main beam reflectors?

Cheers, Jason

Hi Jason went back through my purchase history and found the seller. he lists loads of led light including these 200w H9s. item number 152570318175 at £18.40.

try this mate. cheers Steve

to help you set them up, I ended up with the cree elements either side of the central post lying dead horizontal left and right. this gave the best beam and they are seriously white and bright. there is a slight vertical shadow line created by the post and cree edges but when om main beam, the dip beam stays lit and mainly covers this. if you go whiter than 6000k, you will probably end up with too much blue which has a shorter range than tungsten yellow will project but cuts through rain better. probably not as good long range as 150w halogens and nowhere as good as the long range KC daylites that I had mounted on the roof bar of my old Rangy ( 600w of frontal lights that would over load the alternator and stall the v8 on tickover) these LEDs will not break the bank or the alternator and have lasted longer than two weeks.