crap headlights

Bushman

Just been out for a blat & am well impressed with these LED dips... No CANbus errors :1_grinning: & nobody flashed me!

Just waiting on delivery of the 100w Xenon mains & LED fogs/side markers...

• Like 1

I've fitted the same to mine, and although they look great colour wise, I don't find the brightness very good. 

Admittedly I didn't drive the car for very long with the standard halogens, but it's making me want to experiment with brighter halogen bulbs. Maybe the original lights were worse than I'd realised! 

So after i had one of my 120% dip bulbs go on Saturday. I replaced it temporarily with a standard h7 which really didn't cut the mustard as I'm sure most you 987 owners know about. And the fact my headlights don't match the side lights was driving me wild (as per the first photo) So ordered some of the previously recommended nighteye led bulbs. And the difference is staggering. As you can see from the photos and no canbus error occurred.

IMG_20180207_170350-1012x759.jpg

IMG_20180207_170036-1012x759.jpg

IMG_20180207_174410-1012x759.jpg

IMG_20180207_174206-759x1012.jpg

Edited by Munch197

These LEDS have me very interested.

Any problems with over heat?

Anyone fitted them to a gen 2?

Any can bus errors on a gen 2?

do they just plug into stock connectors?

reason I ask is mine has after market HID bulbs and they’re rubbish, look nice but the beam is awful. I read they’re about to become illegal in May so I’m looking to swap them out but keep a white bulb appearance. Only problem is the person who fitted them snipped off the stock connectors :-(

anyone know where or what a stock connector is? Porsche will prob only sell the whole headlight unit

I've obviously not ran them long enough for overheating but they have heat sinks and inbuilt fans on the back in the big silver bit on the back of the bulb. 

The plug fitment... They plug straight into the standard plug just make sure negative goes to brown wires and positive to yellow wires. 

Don't quote me on this but a h7 connection (if that is what the gen 2 also run, I'm sure someone can confirm) should be relatively standard across all platforms of cars. I don't think you'll get one from your OPC. But.... I'd be tempted to go to your local scrap yard and swipe a couple of h7 connectors off a car equipped with the same bulbs as they should be a standard fit and size in my opinion then solder them up and jobs a goodun. Or for better results try going straight to connector assuming you can get them out. 

All else failing there are new h7 connectors available on eBay for a couple of quid should you go down this route.

6 hours ago, Munch197 said:

I've obviously not ran them long enough for overheating but they have heat sinks and inbuilt fans on the back in the big silver bit on the back of the bulb. 

The plug fitment... They plug straight into the standard plug just make sure negative goes to brown wires and positive to yellow wires. 

Don't quote me on this but a h7 connection (if that is what the gen 2 also run, I'm sure someone can confirm) should be relatively standard across all platforms of cars. I don't think you'll get one from your OPC. But.... I'd be tempted to go to your local scrap yard and swipe a couple of h7 connectors off a car equipped with the same bulbs as they should be a standard fit and size in my opinion then solder them up and jobs a goodun. Or for better results try going straight to connector assuming you can get them out. 

All else failing there are new h7 connectors available on eBay for a couple of quid should you go down this route.

Cheers munch. On closer look I may be in luck. I’ve googled what an H7 connector looks like and I dint think they are snipped off, rather the person who fitted the HIDs has stuffed space connectors into the sockets. I only realised all this when one bulb stopped working, took it out and found a loose connection from the dodgy wedged in spade. This solution looks good.

23 hours ago, Buggyjam said:

These LEDS have me very interested.

Any problems with over heat?

Anyone fitted them to a gen 2?

Any can bus errors on a gen 2?

do they just plug into stock connectors?

reason I ask is mine has after market HID bulbs and they’re rubbish, look nice but the beam is awful. I read they’re about to become illegal in May so I’m looking to swap them out but keep a white bulb appearance. Only problem is the person who fitted them snipped off the stock connectors :-(

anyone know where or what a stock connector is? Porsche will prob only sell the whole headlight unit

Have a read of my feedback post on about page 3 of this (long) thread. 

I fitted the knight eye H7 dipped LED bulbs to my gen 2 in a matter of minutes. 

So glad I did through these dark winter months, original bulbs were as much use as a match in the wind. 

12 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Have a read of my feedback post on about page 3 of this (long) thread. 

I fitted the knight eye H7 dipped LED bulbs to my gen 2 in a matter of minutes. 

So glad I did through these dark winter months, original bulbs were as much use as a match in the wind. 

Cheers Windy. On on it getting them ordered. I’ve not seen the stock halogens as bought mine and didn’t realise it had after market HIDs in. Mostly I’m around town with street lights so you don’t notice there’s a problem, and the beam itself looks fine painted against a wall. Quite bright. Found out they’re down right dangerous coming back from deepest Ireland down a dark road. Couldn’t see in front of me, bizarre. They look bright from the outside. They’re for the bin.

1 hour ago, Munch197 said:

Sounds like they can't be any worse. Don't forget to take out the ballast box too for the hid. 

Yeah I can’t  wait to take out the boxes and home spun looking loom that seems to come with these hid kits. Both ballast boxes are loose at the min sitting in the housing. Just not my kind of thing having Hot Chinese electric boxes clattering around :8_laughing:. The leds look a very neat install. That’s much more like it

I know that feeling. The previous owner of my m3 decided hid was a good idea also... Had the car a matter of hours before they were gone ? maybe it was the 'in' thing back then. I was impressed to be honest with the LEDs for ease and results, already ordered a set for the other halfs fiesta. Tech like that has come on a long way from yesteryear. 

I did try putting in some H4 main beam LEDs too, but they had such a big heatsink and fan and a long Fly lead that I couldn’t fit them in the lamp unit. 

Bushman fitted some - don’t know if he had to mod (cut out) part of the lamp unit to fit them in though?

the Nighteye  H9s i fitted were the 75w 6000k fan cooled units, purple bodies. plenty of room for them, no mods to the housing or shell. make sure that the central spine of each lamp ends up exactly vertical in the headlamp unit to give you the best beam. the cree elements are either side of this spine. you should be able to fine tune these bulbs on their mounts to achieve this by moving the triple bayonet mount sleeve on the bulb chassis. rotation will change the beam projection shape and back and forth  the focus and spread ( like a Maglight)

I did mine off the car with a white board target and a battery jump pack. hope this helps guys

41 minutes ago, Bushman said:

the Nighteye  H9s i fitted were the 75w 6000k fan cooled units, purple bodies. plenty of room for them, no mods to the housing or shell. make sure that the central spine of each lamp ends up exactly vertical in the headlamp unit to give you the best beam. the cree elements are either side of this spine. you should be able to fine tune these bulbs on their mounts to achieve this by moving the triple bayonet mount sleeve on the bulb chassis. rotation will change the beam projection shape and back and forth  the focus and spread ( like a Maglight)

I did mine off the car with a white board target and a battery jump pack. hope this helps guys

Out of sheer interest bushman. Did you align your dipped beam the same way?

yes I did Munch but on the H7s, the bayonet was not adjustable so I trimmed the wings  on the bulb with a Dremmel  to make them lock up in a slightly different orientation to get the spine more vertical and get a sharper flat top to the beam with the little kick up to the left as expected on a UK spec car. did this on the car though, continually removing and refitting the headlamp unit. again using white boards and marker pens to track progress. I drew the original halogen beam pattern on the boards to start with. Doing this with the main beams entails unplugging the dips as these come on at the same time and confuse the issue which is why I found it easier to do it off car with a booster pack.. plus its a pain to keep removing and refitting the units and i was worried about damaging the lock up system.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bushman said:

Following this thread I’ve bought a complete set of these fan cooled Nighteye lamps but whilst I have H7 for the dipped, I’ve got H11 for the mains. Is this not correct?

Whilst ‘talking lights’, has anyone tried these daytime running lights? I’m not interested in installing a generic strip of lights from Demon Thieves but these integrated light look ok. Any experience?

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod132541/Porsche-987C-Cayman-Fog-Lamp-Covers-with-DRL-lamps/