crap headlights

Bushman

46 minutes ago, Simon Wood said:

Do you have to remove the front bumper to change the fog lights, or is it easier than that?

No need to remove the bumper. You just need to remove the fog light

• Like 1

On 05/02/2020 at 12:16, Simon Wood said:

Do you have to remove the front bumper to change the fog lights, or is it easier than that?

On the Gen2 the black plastic trim around the fog lamp has about 2/3 clips on the top and bottom edge, its fairly flexible and you can unclip it by hand. Then there are screws that hold the lamp in, and a clip connector on the back to the bulb.

• Like 1

Urm!! I have some success!!

I brought these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-H1-H4-H11-H8-H7-LED-Headlights-Car-Bulbs-Kit-18000LM-6000K-Canbus-Error-Free/264592177801?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=564367354812&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They fit but its VERY VERY TIGHT!... I used some pliers to just open up the gap by around 1-2mm (Be careful as you can split the plastic, nothing a bit of super glue can't fix)

They power on and no flickering however it does give dashboard warning.... So I've brought these canbus decoders to hopefully help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-Pair-LED-Headlight-Canbus-Error-Free-Resistor-Decoder-Anti-Flicker/392589319990?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=661554062273&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IMG_1045.jpeg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpeg

Edited by jaketame
  • Like 1

Amazing, finally! Let me know how you get on with the canbus adapters (and if they fit inside the light housing! 😂) and then I'll get some ordered :) 

Two quick questions:

Do you only get the dash warning when the full-beams are on, or all the time?

Just confirming that yours is a second gen 987? 

Cheers!

7 hours ago, Joe Spicer said:

Amazing, finally! Let me know how you get on with the canbus adapters (and if they fit inside the light housing! 😂) and then I'll get some ordered :) 

Two quick questions:

Do you only get the dash warning when the full-beams are on, or all the time?

Just confirming that yours is a second gen 987? 

Cheers!

The error appeared when I first popped the full beams on and continued to display a Red Warning on dash.

yes it’s at 987.2 🙂

On 08/02/2020 at 21:36, jaketame said:

Urm!! I have some success!!

I brought these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-H1-H4-H11-H8-H7-LED-Headlights-Car-Bulbs-Kit-18000LM-6000K-Canbus-Error-Free/264592177801?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=564367354812&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They fit but its VERY VERY TIGHT!... I used some pliers to just open up the gap by around 1-2mm (Be careful as you can split the plastic, nothing a bit of super glue can't fix)

They power on and no flickering however it does give dashboard warning.... So I've brought these canbus decoders to hopefully help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-Pair-LED-Headlight-Canbus-Error-Free-Resistor-Decoder-Anti-Flicker/392589319990?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=661554062273&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IMG_1045.jpeg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpeg

Hi Jake,

did you solve the error with the decoders?

If I am not wrong are exactely the same I bought once...but they were useless...

Cheers,

Andrea

1 hour ago, Cito said:

Hi Jake,

did you solve the error with the decoders?

If I am not wrong are exactely the same I bought once...but they were useless...

Cheers,

Andrea

I've not received the Ebay ones I ordered but got some different ones being delivered today

Amazon: Novsight Ones - I  contacted vendor and they advised will work for H9/H7 headlights.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F3X9MLQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep you posted as on a night drive tonight.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jaketame said:

I've not received the Ebay ones I ordered but got some different ones being delivered today

Amazon: Novsight Ones - I  contacted vendor and they advised will work for H9/H7 headlights.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F3X9MLQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep you posted as on a night drive tonight.

So I have fitted the NovSight from Amazon and switched engine on and high beam on... no errors.

will let you know if appears during a drive

8 hours ago, jaketame said:

So I have fitted the NovSight from Amazon and switched engine on and high beam on... no errors.

will let you know if appears during a drive

200 miles later and no flicker, no errors and a nice super bright toad!

we are a go go go!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jaketame said:

200 miles later and no flicker, no errors and a nice super bright toad!

we are a go go go!

Awesome!

thank you

8 minutes ago, Joe Spicer said:

Excellent! I love a super bright toad 😉

Did the canbus adapters fit inside the light housing?

Haha sorry it was late! toad = toad

I had to squeeze them into the main housing a poke the cables through the full beam.

Jake, thanks for telling us it could be done… if I was trying to fit those bulbs without proof they will go in I would have given up! You are a braver man than me 😂I have LEDs in the dipped beam and main beam (and interior) now.

For anyone looking to do this, a few pointers:

First of all… unless you’re happy trying to force the bulbs in and feeling like you're probably going to break something, don’t bother! I can be a bit ham-fisted when I need to be but I was convinced these weren’t going in.

In case the links no longer work, these main beam bulbs are H7/8/11 600K 65mm long, which fits if you bend the housing a bit.

When you’re installing them, take a look from the front of the headlight and check the tip of the LED isn’t caught on the corner of the silver reflector plastic before you try and push them into the housing- else you’ll end up pushing/breaking the reflector as you force the bulb in  (see pic). The LED's have an aluminium frame so can take a fair bit of force on them.

I warmed the plastic housing with a hair-drier, I think that helped a bit, although the plastic won’t budge much anyway.

I pushed one connector of the canbus adapter under/behind the bulb, then put the canbus circuit bit in, then squeezed the other connector in around that (see pic).

I had a thin fork handle between the bulb heatsink and the housing, which I used to lever it in.

I’m a little wary of all the wires being tucked up around the heatsink… we’ll see if they last without melting. The dipped beam bulbs have fans in the heatsink whereas these are passive. The high beams are rarely on for any prolonged amount of time so hopefully it’ll be ok!

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-20 at 21.05.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-20 at 21.04.59.jpeg

12 hours ago, Joe Spicer said:

Jake, thanks for telling us it could be done… if I was trying to fit those bulbs without proof they will go in I would have given up! You are a braver man than me 😂I have LEDs in the dipped beam and main beam (and interior) now.

Maybe I should have explained in a bit more detail what and how I did it :) Its not for the faint hearted or someone who doesn't want to push the plastic to its limits. A warm day / warming of plastic will def help. A lot of wiggling and cuts on hands to get into place! My OCD couldn't leave one light not done. I just need to find a LED front indicator now which seems a bit harder to find.

1 hour ago, Joe Spicer said:

What difference would and LED indicator bulb make? Seen as it's orange you wouldn't be after any change in colour, are you just hoping for it to be brighter?

Just brighter and knowing it’s Halogen! OCD bugs me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Any tips for how to fit these? Both

Fog lights  - NIGHTEYE H11/H8/H9 LED Fog Light Daytime Bulbs Lamp Replace Halogen HID 160W

Dipped beam - Nighteye 72W 9000LM H7 LED Canbus error free Car Headlight KIT 6500K Bulbs White

Arrived today. Using the links from @jaketame I have seen comments that these are easy to fit, but then also seen comments 2-3 pages back in this thread about shining lights on a wall and marking the pattern then trimming the bulb to allow more rotation.

Is this a job I can do in 15-30 mins this evening? I want to focus on the Dipped Beam, the Fogs can be done later. I am keen to press on and fit them and assumed that the beam pattern would be fine with just fitting them quickly as a replacement. After all if I change a halogen bulb I would not normally check on pattern on a wall I would just change the bulb and assume the lights cut off works the same with the new bulb.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Also on the high beam, I have been reading all the comments. My plan here is to no go LED as appears it involves a lot of cutting and fiddling. I think I may have found whiter halogen replacements so might try that for my high beam.

10 minutes ago, Simon Wood said:

Hi All

Any tips for how to fit these? Both

Fog lights  - NIGHTEYE H11/H8/H9 LED Fog Light Daytime Bulbs Lamp Replace Halogen HID 160W

Dipped beam - Nighteye 72W 9000LM H7 LED Canbus error free Car Headlight KIT 6500K Bulbs White

Arrived today. Using the links from @jaketame I have seen comments that these are easy to fit, but then also seen comments 2-3 pages back in this thread about shining lights on a wall and marking the pattern then trimming the bulb to allow more rotation.

Is this a job I can do in 15-30 mins this evening? I want to focus on the Dipped Beam, the Fogs can be done later. I am keen to press on and fit them and assumed that the beam pattern would be fine with just fitting them quickly as a replacement. After all if I change a halogen bulb I would not normally check on pattern on a wall I would just change the bulb and assume the lights cut off works the same with the new bulb.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Also on the high beam, I have been reading all the comments. My plan here is to no go LED as appears it involves a lot of cutting and fiddling. I think I may have found whiter halogen replacements so might try that for my high beam.

Hi, I think the dipped beam can be done in 30 minutes. Is a very easy replacement...and the difference is massive! No doubt.

Also, I did pass the MOT without any problem. Super reccomanded. 

For the fog lights is going to take a bit more as you have to be more careful to don't brake the dents in the ligts panel.

Please, can you post the link for the whiter halogen for the high beam?

Do it and you will not regret! 🙂  

• Like 1

So I got the dipped beams fitted tonight, but ran out of time for the fog lights. Those will have to wait till tomorrow.

As everybody else has said the dipped beam H7's are amazing. Super happy with these, and glad I bought the LED's over Osram Nightbreakers.

@Cito Regards H9 high beam whiter halogens, I have not ordered them yet. I am still deciding between two, one on ebay one on Amazon. Once I order I will take pictures and past link. Will not share link until I have ordered as would not want to mislead people.

• Thanks 1