crap headlights

Bushman

Allegedly 450%.

Definately a lot brighter, especially when viewed against a halogen unit.

They have a really sharp beam cutoff. I'm sure there are thousands of people running round with these Hid's so not too worried about a pull. :)

14 minutes ago, andygo said:

Allegedly 450%.

Definately a lot brighter, especially when viewed against a halogen unit.

They have a really sharp beam cutoff. I'm sure there are thousands of people running round with these Hid's so not too worried about a pull. :)

Thanks Andy, I think I’ll give them a try 👌

The units are pretty easy to fit inside the lamp pod. I used some chunky self adnesive velcro to hold the various bit and pieces of hardware tidily in place.

I purchased mine from Auto Bulbs Direct as Hids4U didn't have stock.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-hids4u-stealth-55w-high-brightness-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/11/2017 at 23:38, Bushman said:

Hi Windy. I did try 100w blue ( all weather) H9 halogens and they lasted less than 2 weeks. with 19s, 35% sidewalls with hard and lowered springs the ultra fine elements are too delicate. I then bought H9 6000k fan cooled Nighteyes ( purple anodised chassis) and have never looked back. they are brilliant, excuse the pun. The central chassis that supports the cree cluster each side of a central post can be rotated within the bayonet mount to fine tune the light beams to the reflectors in the headlight unit. it is worth spending the extra time to do this to get the best projected light. I did mine off the car in the end,  with a jump battery pack to power both dip and mains against a large whiteboard set at various distances. got the LED bulbs from ebay, about £20. I did post about it at the time, must have been nearly a year ago. hope this helps mate. Steve

Hi Bushman, have you got a link to these and are they for the main beam? i've bought the h7 nighteyes for the dipped like yourself and wondering what to get now for the fogs and high beams.

thanks

• Like 1

Hi Boxman. the mains were 600K Nighteyes fan cooled H9/11 LED units. I wish they were 500k, they wouldnt look quite so blue/white but being a slightly lower frequency would have given them better long range. still better than the originals though. prepare to play with the bulb positions to get the best beam results. u can rotate them a bit in their bayonet mount sleeves.

there is not enough room for fan cooled in the fogs so i just used LED replacements with Cree elements all over them. I also replaced the side light bulbs with LED but had to remove the little internal reflector cap inside the light unit as the LED units are longer than the tungsten bulbs. Ive had no issues for 3 years with this setup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

if it helps Andygo. if you want to replace your halogens with HIDs I am fairly confident in stating that you also need to fit headlight levelers and headlamp washers. without these it will be picked up by an MOT tester as a conversion and fail the test. That's why I went down the LED route.

whilst not everybody likes the ultrawhite LED light output and the higher frequency light emission dissipates quicker than lower frequency halogen/xenon gas filament bulbs, I think that they are a vast improvement over standard. 

27 minutes ago, Bushman said:

if it helps Andygo. if you want to replace your halogens with HIDs I am fairly confident in stating that you also need to fit headlight levelers and headlamp washers. without these it will be picked up by an MOT tester as a conversion and fail the test. That's why I went down the LED route.

whilst not everybody likes the ultrawhite LED light output and the higher frequency light emission dissipates quicker than lower frequency halogen/xenon gas filament bulbs, I think that they are a vast improvement over standard. 

Thanks for your reply Bushman. I'll prolly just pop the standard bulbs in for next Septembers MOT. It will only take 30 mins, so no big deal! The LED's are illegal as well, but apparently aren't as suitable on a day to day scenario as they dont seem to have an effective beam pattern.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, eponymoose said:

Quick update.

I've previously fitted the 9,000lm Nighteye/Novsight LED dipped LEDs and found them to be awful. I then fitted the supposedly 20,000lm Nighteye/Novsight dipped LEDs and they're not bad. Better than the halogens, but still a bit too blue.

More recently I fitted the most powerful HIDS4U xenon product to my high beams. They're pretty tricky to fit, but doable. They're pretty good, perhaps not quite as powerful as the marketing claims, but comparable with a factory fit HID for power. The catch is warm up time. They're incredibly slow to warm up.

For a dipped beam taking somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds to fully warm up probably doesn't matter - once they've warmed up you're good to go. For a high beam you're switching on and off as traffic approaches etc, less great. Once they're warmed up they don't lose that 'warmth' so to speak immediately, but if you have them off for a bit, they do still need warming up again.

My factory xenons on previous 987s only took a short moment to warm up and I think the high beam was a combo of added halogen and lifting a mask on the xenons, so was always instant.

Anyway, just a bit of extra info. I suspect it's the quality of xenon bulbs. I wonder if different bulbs could be sourced that would warm up quicker.

Ask the HIDS4U people, they may have an alternative. I have spoken to them in the past and they seemed helpful.

Are you using good quality electric?  :)

Edited by andygo

Not LED related but I recently replaced my halogens with Osram Nightbreaker Laser Next Generation - I'm impressed with them, they cost less than £20 a pair on Amazon and of course no worries over fitment, compatibility and so on.

This is a very good, engineering based review of a Bevinse brand LED bulb. 

The Bevinse packaging looks identical to NovSight (formerly Night Eyes) so I’m assuming it’s different trade names for the same brand (perhaps in different countries?). 

20 minutes ago, Andy said:

Interesting I've just picked up some Philips X-tremeUltinon gen2 which seem to be fairly good on the review front. 

MicrosoftTeams-image (9).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (10).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (11).png

Do you have a link to the seller please?

Edited by andygo

13 minutes ago, eponymoose said:

Where are you based, Andy? Would be interested in seeing how your Philips compare to the Novsights in my car...

Its not me you need- i have fitted Hids4U Xenon dipped bulbs to my Cayman, not the Philips bulbs. You are welcome to check them out, I live in Milon Keynes.

37 minutes ago, andygo said:

Do you have a link to the seller please?

I bought mine from Powerbulbs which @Beanoir™ has used int he past as well, decent customer service and delivery. 

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/x-tremeultinon-gen2-led-headlight-bulbs-h7-twin

34 minutes ago, eponymoose said:

Where are you based, Andy? Would be interested in seeing how your Philips compare to the Novsights in my car...

Based in Braintree, Essex. 

Not fitting them to a Cayman though (Ford Focus), but if local welcome to see how they perform when they're fitted. 

• Founder
23 minutes ago, Andy said:

I bought mine from Powerbulbs which @Beanoir™ has used int he past as well, decent customer service and delivery. 

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/x-tremeultinon-gen2-led-headlight-bulbs-h7-twin

Yes, I had them in the 996.  Certainly much brighter light and better than the Novisghts I had (still have in a box) I tried previously, but I would say the beam pattern is still not quite as good as a conventional halogen, I did get flashed once or twice by other drivers.  

Not sure if you have seen, but MOT laws have been updated and having LED's in a light that is specced for Halogens is now a fail.

"Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-4

4 hours ago, Joe Spicer said:

Not sure if you have seen, but MOT laws have been updated and having LED's in a light that is specced for Halogens is now a fail.

"Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-4

It is and likely my car wouldn't pass, but it doesn't take long to swap them out if needs be... 

• 2 months later...

987 - Gen1:

In the fog / spots - there is the main bulb.......and below that right at the bottom - a "running light" (?)

Seem's i've changed every bulb apart from these - and i noticed how yellow they were this morning.

Anyone know they type of bulb these are so i can get some ordered ?

• Like 1