Beanoir

Electric Cayman

At one of our meets someone, I think it was Kev, was saying they'd seen a 4WD Cayster mule in Europe? No idea what power plant.

I guess a turbo flat 2/4 cylinder, hybrid, 4WD Cayman would still have enough room for 2 people and a holdall?

I have wondered generally whether all electric cars of the future will have a choice of exhaust sound track. You can imagine the Cayman brochure: 

Milkfloat sound - Standard

4cyl flat 4 sound - £1,780

6cyl flat 6 sound - £2,240

V8 "that old 928" sound - £3,290

"PSE" sound - add £1,210 to the above.

O.o

• Like 1

People can say they saw a 4WD Cayster, doesn't mean that's what it was. With the transmission behind the engine, making a 4WD combustion Cayster would be so complex, I can't believe even a mule exists.

A petrol-electric hybrid with an electric motor or two up front is plausible and they've probably got something like that under evaluation. But it's years away, still.

A car based on the Mission E concept will be the first pure-electric Porsche, I think due around 2019. They'd quite like to do hybrid versions of their sports cars, that's clear enough, but it's awfully complex and expensive. Reasonable odds of hybrid versions of the next generation of sports cars. But I don't think it makes sense to do pure electric and combustion versions of the same car. When Porsche do finally offer a pure electric sports car, that's all it will be - purpose built and pure-electric only. Not an electric version of the Cayman or whatever.

could this have been some type of test mule for a future development based on the principles of the 918 which I believe has conventional mid engine/ rear tranny but with a very, very large alternator/kers unit and 1 or 2 lecky motor whizz thingys driving the front wheels.?

This electric nonsense seems inevitable so I was hoping the next generation of elec vehicles will have more about them and not artificially,  but some sounds created by the newer technology. Less of this silent, vibration free nonsense that the Tesla “ inoffensive” has. Something like the back to the further delorean sounds :8_laughing:. Plenty of fan noise at idle. You need some noise at idle. Maybe some loud and involved sounds as it accelerates or even some ability to rev something, like a capacitor rep charge like the  old film cameras charged up with that jet noise sound. Problem is the beardy hipsters at these californaian car companies like Tesla (and everyone copies them) hate noise or anything other than what you can connect to phones via apps.

• Haha 1