Pilot Sport 4S

Porker

OK, only prices I can find are for the 235/35/19, £20 or so more than the cheapest I found for the equivalent MPSS. On that basis I'll give it a miss unless the beast of capitalist market forces pushes the price down. 

IMG_2870.PNG

30 minutes ago, Red Square Images said:

Yea it's the MPSS replacement. To be honest I'd go for the new one as true tech has moved on a hell of a way in 4 years. Try black n rounds in Silverstone, cam skill and protyre

I've got a couple of months of life left in mine at least so I'll hold out and see if the PS4S prices drop. The Cayman was a stretch on my frankly PALTRY wages so I'd be happy with the MPSS.

• Like 1

• Founder
12 hours ago, DJMC said:

Hmmm.... when I first spoke to Jamie, maybe a year ago, he said the PS4 20" had been made for the 718 launch, so would fit 981 too. However the front 88Y isn't on that list. Ah, but that's the "S" list so perhaps that's why, or maybe it's not released yet which IS odd for a launch tyre!

I did check his F1 credentials at the time by Googling him and it all stacked up. There again he may have written this himself...

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 22.06.15.png

I'll give him a call next week and see if he bows to your superior knowledge of his products Kev, i.e. see if he's an ass?

You've got quite a crush on this guy :x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Square Images said:

Yea it's the MPSS replacement. To be honest I'd go for the new one as true tech has moved on a hell of a way in 4 years. Try black n rounds in Silverstone, cam skill and protyre

I've got a couple of months of life left in mine at least so I'll hold out and see if the PS4S prices drop. The Cayman was a stretch on my frankly PALTRY wages so I'd be happy with the MPSS.

its the shared interest in rubber

• Like 1

On 7 January 2017 at 10:43, Beanoir said:

You've got quite a crush on this guy :x

...strangely, I found I have his mobile phone number too.

Just spoke to Jamie. Here's the explanation...

The PS4S on the Panamera was the first of the "S" suffix models but is actually labelled on the sidewall "PS4" without the "S". This is because the PS4S technology was first developed for the Panamera but before Michelin decided to call a "higher performance" (larger wheel diameter) PS4 range by the name PS4S and make it for a wider range of manufacturers/vehicles. The PS4S for the Panamera will continue to be labelled "PS4" due to Porsche's intransigence in not allowing Michelin to re-name it PS4S after the decision to give it a slightly different name was made.

The range of PS4S tyres now available for other vehicles has identical technology to the Panamera's PS4S (barring an acoustic layer) and are available in  larger diameter sizes than the PS4. So, for the 718/981 20" only PS4S will fit this size wheel and these will be available from early March in retailers. They will be available "N" marked, and generic.

Hope that clears it up? 

Starting to appear on Black Circles. About £30 per tyre more, too rich for me. No sign that the existing MPSSs are falling in price, may take a while if it happens at all. 

9 hours ago, Porker said:

Starting to appear on Black Circles. About £30 per tyre more, too rich for me. No sign that the existing MPSSs are falling in price, may take a while if it happens at all. 

Hmmm... they were supposed to be "cheaper than MPSS" per Mr McWhir a year ago. Maybe it'll take a while for the price to settle, like a lot of new products in every walk of life.

1 minute ago, DJMC said:

Hmmm... they were supposed to be "cheaper than MPSS" per Mr McWhir a year ago. Maybe it'll take a while for the price to settle, like a lot of new products in every walk of life.

This is the PS4S not the PS4 remember, cant see why it would be cheaper than the MPSS as its designed to be a replacement

Yes, but at that time I was talking to Jamie about the 20" PS4 replacement for the PSS so it's the same tyre, just re-named PS4S now for the larger sizes.

He was adamant about it being cheaper, but as has been seen in this thread already... things change.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot remember if I told you guys I am back in a Cayman R again ;-)

So they are going on that, I'll try and bring it to the 5th Feb meet, on it's new geo and PS4S's !!!  does that now stand for Pilot Sport 4 Sport lol ?

Both my 987.2 Spyder and GT4 are on CUP 2's

And my last R had the amazing MPSS as I just ditched the oem p zero in the bin after a month ! A shocking bad tyre.

how people can run a P zero I don't know. ( lets hope for the new cars the gen 2 P-zero's are better )  but going off forums and people getting 911 GTS and calling p-zero ditch finders, I doubt it.

the PS4S is the new king and was launched on the 17th so I'll be one of the 1st to try them, I also fitted MPSS on day one of launch some 5 years back. I ran MPSS on V8 M3's, >400bhp TTRS's, and Porkers it has been the tyre to have the past 5 years bar none.

Before that I must have ran PS2 for 10 sets.

nothing touches michelin tyres imo.  although my R came with Goodyear F1's and they have been not to bad.

I also hate Conti, so I never can tell why they win mag tests !!!  (they pay to NOT to include MPSS on tests imo lol ie. a FIX )

btw the front F1's must have 5mm on so if some one wants 2 front  235/35/19 N spec F1's let me know other wise I'll dump them.

shock horror still no N spec tyres from Michelin which is a shame as it's a battle to get them ordered and fitted every time !

• Like 1

• Founder

Can't disagree with that, I'm a big fan of the MPSS, I've got them on the M5 and whilst traction is a slight issue in that car, they are still fantastic tyres.

look forward to seeing the new R! 

My R is due some rears very soon (My Goodyear F1s have about 2mm left) so I'm intrigued to hear whether you rate the PS4S once you get them fitted.

Otherwise I think it's going to be PSS all round - bit of an investment but looking forward to some more grip!

ps4s have come down £150 in a week last week there were £1k a set , I got them for £880 this week.

No point fitting a full set of PSS, they are only £50 cheaper a set !

5 minutes ago, PorscheGT4 said:

ps4s have come down £150 in a week last week there were £1k a set , I got them for £880 this week.

No point fitting a full set of PSS, they are only £50 cheaper a set !

Including fitting? I've got a couple of months left so will watch prices with interest.